Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Longetivity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SETI Program

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

EDaddy

Warlord
What is the most useful Wonder of the World. I myself try to build the Sistine Chapel, Theory of Evolution, & Hoover Dam.

:goodjob:

"universal suffering" ? :)

Theory of Evolution gives the two cheapest advances, so maybe will save 10 turns, I think pyramids would save you a lot more than that in the earlier game.

I think Hoover Dam is by far the best wonder, ofcourse UN is a must have if diplomatic victory is available and you aren't popular. Other than that i guess i look toward Apollo program, the rest of the wonders i take or leave depending on my civs situation.

depends too much on your tactics and strategy..... i voteds Sitst chap. but only because my last two or three games made it so useful for me (despot rush - then change to democracy - guess what you need fast - happiness...... with lots of lux and temple and cathedral in every town.....)

Depends on the world. Wonders that are restricted to the continent on which they are built on are less useful than wonders like Leonardo's when you have cities on 4 or 5 islands (or more, given u play on a huge map).

You're listing choices from different eras, so I'd have to say several, but Pyramids/Hoover Dam are two that I consider to be must haves, but if it's one out of ALL the others, definitely: Hoover Dam

dude??? where did you put the great library??? i'd consider that one better than the suffrage schmuffrage wonder.. just get the whip and export the not so very nice citizens to syberia :o

I think that one expires too soon to be really useful, I buy tech I don't research. Plus, it's one the AI seems to go after and get very quickly.

I choose the pyramids. I play on 1 continent and your constanly getting cities, so you save time/money/citizens to build graineries and it does not expire (I think)

PYRAMIDS:goodjob: :goodjob:

Hoover Dam is extremely useful, but personally I always go for the Workshop as I like continents or pangea. Being able to upgrade for half price saves a lot of money and time and is a must because wars will happen and then I want to be ahead.

Speaking up upgrading, there isn't a way of upgrading all units of a type is there?

I've just been doing A LOT of clicking from the F3 screen to upgrade.

I find that the Wonders that are only useful for cities on the same continent are a waste when you are playing in a world full of tiny islands. But, definitely The Workshop is a must have as well as Longivity.

However, I try to build as many Wonders as possible as they all contribute to your cultural rating. I have often come up from behind in the scores by out striping the other Civ's Cultural ratings.

:)

Gary

Originally posted by Candian.Gloworm
I choose the pyramids. I play on 1 continent and your constanly getting cities, so you save time/money/citizens to build graineries and it does not expire (I think)

PYRAMIDS:goodjob: :goodjob:

Correct, it never expires. They've sure come a long way since CIV 1, where they were used to ease the transition of Govt. types, something I never quite understood :)

Cerryl: To upgrade all of one type of unit, click on one and then Shift - U and it will upgrade all those units based in cities with barracks.

I hope this helps.

PS. Have plenty of cash too :)

Gary

Of those listed I voted for Hoover Dam. My number one favorite though is Sun Tsu. When you're on the offensive there's nothing nicer than instantly having a barracks in your freshly conquered cities. Even when they're still revolting the troops are healed after 1 turn and ready to continue the offensive.

I can't really pick one, because there are many I consider to be crucial, or near crucial. I tend to want nearly all of them. Instead, I'll list the ones I don't care about:

Pyramids (yeah, I know, I'm DEFINITELY in the minority here - I'm shooting for the Great Library)
Great Lighthouse (unless, of course, I need it to make contact with others - then it's a good one)
Great Wall - 2nd most useless "wonder" in the game
Oracle - expires, relatively quickly
Hanging Gardens - see Oracle

Leo's - I'll take it, if I can get it, but I'm much more concerned with other things, usually (Sun Tzu, Sistine, et al)
Shake's - nice culture and all, but...
Magellan - Nice to have, but certainly not necessary

Longevity - wow, it makes my cities grow too much so they starve back down! Most useless wonder out there.
Cure for Cancer - nice, but I rarely take the detour to genetics anymore.
Manhattan Project - This should be a minor wonder, that all civs must build prior to building nukes. As it is, why would I build it? It just allows others w/the tech & resources to build nukes earlier than they otherwise could. No way, I make them build it.

Just my thoughts.

-Arrian

Personallly, I just build a really high production city, and I can grab almost all the wonders in the first two ages. If I need to skip two I definatley leave out Great Library and The Great Wall. Then I can just use the high production city to get lots of wonders, and win an oerwhelming cultural victory.

Surprised no one mentioned Bach. Huge culture, plus 2 happy/city. Hoover Dam a must have as well. Sistine Chapel, but the AI always gets it before I do -- then I get everything else in the middle ages. :)

Great Wall: useless. Longevity: useless (would not be if came early in the game). Manhattan Project: should be a small wonder.

I agree, I would put a city on wealth before attempting to build the great wall, there's got to be another way to make that wonder work than just making walls better, I never even build those. How long do you have size 6 settlements?

Top Bottom