The next project

Yea, I too would like to see how the random maps work exactly; in my experience, the random maps are boring and unrealistic. Everybody's land is, more or less, the same with a hodgepodge of different terrain. With the Earth map everyone has different terrain, different resources and as the player you must adopt a strategy which utilizes most effectively the land, resources, neighbors you have.

With the random maps I feel that I pursue exactly the same strategy on pretty much the same land every....single...game. Which is why I don't play them anymore (thanks Rhye! :) )

So if an Earth map can truly be simulated in the random game then I would try it out but I wouldn't like to play this on the random maps as they are currently configured right now.

Considering the randomness of a random map, should we assume that the UHVs will be disabled?

To me this is bad news. I like this mod because it RFC and historical; historical locations, cities, civs. That separated it from regular civ game, which I got bored fast after finding this.

For me to... To me what makes Rhye's Rhye's is the historical nature of it. That's why I was hoping for Rhye's of Europe...

ltccone

Spoiler :
It will be RFC Random.
It contains many problems: the main are spawn system and UHVs. Some features will be dropped.
But I, maybe for selfish reasons, want to make it. Selfish reasons are that it's a way to go back to my original goal: play a game myself.
I can't play RFC without being tempted to reveal the map, fix a bug, add/remove plague, make civs collapse as I snap my fingers, etc. And I tell I would do that. I love cheating.
I need a map that I don't know already tile-by-tile to awake interest in me...

Then, the bad news
- it will be for BTS only (unless Vishiang makes a conversion later). I just couldn't keep track of - wait - 6 versions! 3 normal, 3 random.
- I won't start working on it until BTS is out and possibily its first patch too, if it comes out early. And I won't be quick, it'll take some time and I haven't got much.

WOW WOW WOW! This is EXACTLY what I was wishing for! While I want it fully random (so no need for the historical time based events) but a chance to play with many of your cool new mechanics in my random map game (like empire stability and your own tech system), I'm sure many will only want stuff slightly mixed up.

So here is my suggestion right out of the gate, sorry if already made, but much like Dale's RtW, why not have a few different variations of this upcoming mod? Like only slightly randomized (still using the same basic world map but cities might be placed a few spaces off from their original, historical events at only slightly randomized periods, and resources (while not guaranteed) roughly in the same areas if there) to fully randomized game using your mechanics?

I can't wait to see what becomes of this!!

I can't wait for this either, I think making an Earth-like yet unpredictable random map is clearly the big challenge. Two hemispheres, one backwards, is definitely important. But you'll always know that there is land across the ocean, so I suppose you could only vary the size of that ocean. I think you could add a lot of variety by "removing" Africa and Australia and just having a highly randomised shape for Eurasia which may or may not include landmasses which resemble those continents. It would probably be nessecary to have a large semi-inland sea representing the Med, to gaurauntee a region like Europe.

Just my ideas... I'm sure you've already thought it through much more than I have.

Just a little dream I had, probably highly impractical, but would it be possible to simulate actualy tectonic drift? Start with a Pangea, and then run a simulation?

I would like a semi-random version. That is, your spawning spot isn't random at all, it's the real world. However, the further you go away from the spawn site, the more deviations there are from the real world. After all, when civilisations were founded they already knew a fair bit about their immediate neighbourhoods - that's easily simulated by the player's knowldege of the real world. They knew less about the stuff that wasn't too far away; stuff a month's walking distance was just rumour, and beyond thatc ompletely unknown.

I have no idea if this would be doable however. It's an idea I've had for games since before 1st edition Civ even came out - I've always wanted to do an Alexander the Great wargame where the "known world" is generated more or less as you march. He went places that were truly unknown to anybody back home. I went as far as to make up a bunch of trial hexagon-based maps that were were made in sections. Each successive "layer" out from the starting hex got progressively more random.

So in terms of a semi-random Civ4 RFC version, I'd hope for something like the world to be divided into blocks of say 5 by 5 sqaures. The starting area is fixed. The next layer of 9 blocks would have say the same number of resources and terrain tiles, as well as civilizations, etc. in each individual block as the real world, but not in the same exact pattern within the block. The next layer of 16 blocks would have say half the real life tile types and resources, and the other half random (according to latitude), and random civ placement; the next layer of 25 blocks would be completely random (by random it would still be generated according to some realistic earth-like mode of course, so deserts are at the right latitudes, etc.)

Cheers, Luke

Top Bottom