The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod

Atlas

Titanus
Can Anybody Help?

I get this message in MP and when I load games begun on someone else's computer- "The save file you have selected in protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed"

I have no mods and neither do my fellow gamers and we are all on the 1.52 patch.
I can play games involving just my computer fine.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled.

Moderator Action: Moved to Civ4 tech support .

If you have the .Net framework installed, then have a look at the first post in this thread. Download the .Net 1 utility, run it, and post the results back here. Get the others to do the same, and we'll be able to diagnose whether its a.) a genuine problem, or b.) a bug that we're seeing in the GOTMs as well.

I frequently get this message when trying to join a GameSpy multiplayer game that has already started, and have even gotten it when trying to join a game title that I created but is now hosted elsewhere. Here is my assets file list. I re-installed the game, have latest graphics driver from NVidia. I love the game, am friendly with Deborah Briggs, run a Civ III hobby club at my son's school, will help out any way I can to refine it. I tried re-installing the game. I'm running <shudder> a Belkin router. Windows firewall is off. I have not used any mods, but have used the worldbuilder a bit. Have not modified any key C4 asset files, to my knowledge.

Attachments

• CheckerFile.txt
    13 KB · Views: 203
I'm getting the same problem. I ckecked out your link, but that seems to be for GoTM. I'm just wanting to be able to continue the game that I started with my Dad. Every game we try to load since patching to 1.56, we get the protected error. Is there any way we can unprotect our own saves?

@CockyWizard: Regarding the problem with trying to open a save that was created in 1.09 using v1.52, I suggest you have a look at this thread.

@Haggadorn: I think its a problem with the way the files are checked under v1.52 - even when people have identical files, different computers running Civ4 will provide different results. Unfortunately, my program only checks the files - it can't fix the problem - all though it does confirm that your install files are the original ones.

The real fix will be to wait for the next patch - in the meantime, I'm looking for interim solutions (with little success, unfortunately). :(

I mentioned the same problem in another post. The only difference in my case was that the game involved was a PBEM game. Four different computers were involved, and only mine had the problem. We were ultimately able to get around this only be restarting the game on my own computer.

This was after already running into the problem with the copy protection program that is installed with the game (probably due to one of my hard drives).

Last time I checked, there weren't any responses to my post. Obviously, this is an issue that doesn't have much in the way of a fix.

See, we're not having problems playing 1.09 games with the 1.52 patch, we simply can't load any game since the 1.52 patch. Every new game we start will work fine until we try to reload it. Are only options so far is to never get out of the game, but after 2-3 days one of us will crash to the desktop and we'd have to start over completely since we can't laod the game. It doesn't matter who host, it always gives us the protected error.

CockyWizard said:
See, we're not having problems playing 1.09 games with the 1.52 patch, we simply can't load any game since the 1.52 patch. Every new game we start will work fine until we try to reload it. Are only options so far is to never get out of the game, but after 2-3 days one of us will crash to the desktop and we'd have to start over completely since we can't laod the game. It doesn't matter who host, it always gives us the protected error.

Can I ask a random question: Do you ever change the order that the files are displayed in Explorer, or run any processes like file defragmenters or backups - perhaps they run overnight?

Both of us arrange our files by name, and neither of us have defragged our computer in a while. Ours don't do it automatically either. The only auto program is my Dad's Norton anit-virus. I did notice that when we used to play with the GreenMod, my mod list, under the "Load a Mod" section, was arranged alphabetically, while with his the GreenMod was on the bottom. We checked his mod folder, and it said he was arranged by name, but it was still on the bottom.

However, we have not been able to play any modded game since 1.52 (we can't even see each other hosting), so our problem was with an unmodded game.

@Ainwood

here are the results of the asset checker

thx
Atlas

This is excatly the problem I am having here with the games with 2 other pc's in the house. All 3 of us started with the 1.52 patch. Can't exit the game cause we won't be able to get back in. If we try to push on eventually one of us crashes, and it over.

I posted an item on this in the Multiplayer forum, having the exact same problem on my 2-computer LAN. Doesnt matter which computer hosts the restart, I tried copying the savefile from one to the other, etc. Nothing helps, we still get that error. Since we didn't get Civ IV until after the 1.52 patch I can't say whether this problem is new to that version of the game. This is on two XP Home computers, both fully updated and both using the NTFS file system. Civ IV runs fine in general, we just can't load any saved games.
:confused:

Tried it again and it works provided that we do not check the multiplayer option related to cheat codes.

Top Bottom