The Spanish Riding School: Haut Ecole for Warhorses

grahamiam said:
:devil: This will go down in my SG archives as the "most violent" turnset. Have you guys ever seen glowing horses before?

Preturn: Check the situation with regards to techs and resources first. They are missing Stassis, the engine and
First techs they have ecology which means they can start life support. Copper doubles the speed so taking out copper is big.
Stassis requires genetics which has not been researched yet.
The Engine requires fiber optics which she has and then fusion.
They have 3 sources of uranium and aluminum but only one copper. Copper is the key to finishing.

Bismarck doesn't have uranium but has aluminum and copper. He has ecology but doesn't have fiber optics and genetics
I try to cut off his copper for 200g with our spy and the spy is caught and detained for questioning.

It's time....after hours of staring I must do what I've never done before. Time to drop the bomb!
Declare and start with our planes.
Our carrier contingent is first to move.
Fighter one wipes out their copper,

the 2nd knocks out some aluminum, take some damage with one plane but our last figther knocks out one of the uranium sources.

Time for our bombers.
Our first bomber knocks out another aluminum.
That leaves 1 aluminum at Warwick and 2 uraniums to go one at Oxford and another at Newcastle. I think we'll be able to bombard Warwick reasonably soon so Oxford adn Newcastle will be bombed before London. The jets did some damage to our bombers.

Drop our first bomb and it hits London! The horses are glowing.

Miss with the second but the third blows out the uranium and 6 pop at Oxford.

Hit Newcastle's uranium but the mine stands. Attempt 3 more and miss. We have 7 more.

Hit Warwick but the aluminum is left...

With 3 left we finally hit again at Newcastle. It's a virtual wasteland with all the units gone.

Move units in on Dover and Coventry.

The resource picture

IT we get strafed by some stealth and jets. a gunship captures a random worker. Narayana is born in Hastings.
We have global warming at Kushans and enemies near Setia and Toledo.

2011 Sink a carrier with a jet aboard. Our spy is caught and detained for questioning on the German copper again.
Bombard Dover to half strength. The first tank not only wins but does additional damage.

Summary
Sorry it took so long but managing this big of an empire in civ4 is quite difficult. Figuring out how to transport units, the ships, etc etc. I'm simply not up to speed on how to play faster so 3 turns took full nights. That set was a gas. Violent but a gas!

I think we have a really good shot at getting to the domination of 64%. Let's keep pounding!

The Save

I gots it, I gots it.

Victory horns sing sweetly in the background!

Nice job Whomp. Here comes the judge!

:sniper: :nuke: :cool: :thumbsup: :salute:

nice job panda boy! As it appears you found out, placing signs really helps with remembering the goals.

@ brigadier bede, you forgot the :bounce: to your "i gots it" :lol:

Not that I expect one anytime soon, but don't forget about the power of GA in resisting cities.

It will be interestin' to see if this make it past bede and graham (my bet is no freakin' way)

Well. I would like to say that the finish of this game demonstrated the tactical brilliance of Napolean, the strategic acumen of a Churchill, and the statesmanship of a Machiavelli. But it didn't. More the bloody mindedness of Stalin with Grant as his Field Marshal.

Once I was able to locate all the troops and get them gathered into some semblance of three squads of doom with the proper mix of air, sea, and ground forces it was simply a bloodbath, beginning with the air force. Luckily Lizzie demonstrated the military skills of Bill Clinton, instead of putting boots on the ground on our home island, she chose to fight for her life by enforcing no-fly zones over England and the rump Italy, shooting down about one third of the bomber fleet with her jet fighters over the course of the battles for her towns and the Romann towns adjoining her territory

Nary a space ship part was built over the course of these turns, except on the turn after victory when Bismarck built the Stasis Chamber to finally pull him ahead of Liz in the Space Race. He also built the UN - dreamer.

I dropped two more nukes but the SDI caught them both so I skipped that and simply inventoried the darn things in case Bismarck got uppity.

Changing to Police State put us back in the happy column and let me bulk up the treasury for the next round, if there was going to be one.

Biggest problem I had was getting the navy back into position to provide covering fire and cultural defense breakdown.

After that it was bombard, bomb, strafe, bomb some more, then send in the Mechanized Infantry for the cleanup. Move the airplanes, gather the troops and do it again. And wait for the borders to expand in the newly conquered cities to nail down the victory.

I could have been more efficient in the use of the troops and simply held my fire after capturing two Roman towns (all that was needed with the border expansions in Azteca taken by the Admiral and the English towns captured during the Whomper's turns), but hey what's an army for but to :hammer: on!

I spent some time looking at the various graphs and concluded we turned the corner once we captured that juicy Roman island. Our home island was a dry, cold place and we didn't have the food resources to grow a productive population there. Once that Roman island was in our hands, crop production and the manufacturing curves headed upwards and they dragged the power curve with them. We were never really competitive in commerce but that was because we were limited to the coast for our commerce, again until we captured the Roman island, but by then it was late in the game for cottage development.

It was fun exercising the old warhorses. And I must say my tactical skills have certainly improved!!! Now to solve the empire management problems.

Save after victory for the analyticals.

Haha so true on the bludgeoning!! We simply pounded our way to a victory.
Great finish Bede. I have to say that was one of the toughest SG's I've been in. Our start stunk, the barbs were a p.i.t.a and the AI was generally the unruly ones.

Managing the empire at the end was really tough for me so any advice on this would be great. I had trouble with the swinging camera, where units were, airports....

interesting comparison with Stalin. Not sure if Grant or Sherman is the right choice for the field marshall.

Our home island was a dry, cold place and we didn't have the food resources to grow a productive population there.
yeah, but we didn't make the most of it in the early game. My feeling is that our early game city management sucked.

After that it was bombard, bomb, strafe, bomb some more, then send in the Mechanized Infantry for the cleanup. Move the airplanes, gather the troops and do it again. And wait for the borders to expand in the newly conquered cities to nail down the victory.
this is almost a primer for how to war in civ4, with the right artillery, nothing is denied. Although, whomp got to use the ultimate artillery...

All in all, the late game made up for the early blunders; i think ky saved us from ourselves early...

@bede, have u tried fractal yet? use the high water and normal speed to truly focus your MM skills. Also read aelf's emperor challenge series if you haven't already.

whomp and I have discussed it; for some reason civ4 SGs are not as satisfying in some ways as civ3. anyone have an explanation? too many ways to accomplish the same goals? thus lack of flow of the game? this game got really fun when we got down to the wire and were focused on the military wars, but before that, I get the feeling we were all over the board.

Yay, you did it! And used nukes, too! Congrats! :goodjob:

Admiral Kutzov said:
for some reason civ4 SGs are not as satisfying in some ways as civ3.
Several people have said this, like ThERat and others. I don't see it that way, but tastes differ I guess.

Maybe the comparison is a bit unfair, because we all knew Civ 3 much better than Civ 4 and just "knew how to play", only needing to discuss key points. We have much less experience with Civ 4, plus it offers more paths how to solve a problem than Civ 3 did. This requires a lot of communication between players, along with good team play (not all people manage to play how the majority has decided if they voted against it).

I really found that these Civ 4 SGs were the most fun where the team had communicated the most. Arathorn's Epic Immortality game was one of these; RB13 Desert Runner another. Arathorn's Insane Izzy for example was less enjoyable in the beginning because we had communicated less.

One mistake I think is that SG players tend to communicate only about high-level strategical goals, and let every individual player fiddle around with the details on his own. However, with so many details becoming important in the long run, like which city to specialize in what, where and which GPs to generate, which AI to befriend and how, this is a major problem. These detailes haven't been that important in Civ 3 as they are now, and I think this is something we old-timers have to adapt to.

This was a fun game nonetheless, at least I can say so about the first half when I still was able to participate ;) , but has been made unnecessarily hard by suboptimal empire management. Especially city management is something I think we all can improve upon. Let cities grow as fast as possible, even if that means a weaker production in the beginning! Build more cottages earlier! Run a more thoughtful GP strategy! etc.

Anyway, 'twas fun while it lasted. Thanks all for letting me play with you! :)

-Kylearan

So this has finally come to an end. I enjoyed lurking here and am quite surprised you managed to pull out a win. When you were still in the early years, I didn't expect you to last long. Congratulations!

ky, I think you've identified the problem. To me :crazyeye:, it seems you have to identify which victory early and then focus. I think much of the problem for the old warhorses was that we didn't "get" how focused the early MM is to the game and didn't communicate enough; let me rephrase that, I speak only for myself. Civ3 seems much more forgiving to early game blunders

All in all, the end game made up for everything. Thanks to our leader for the invite. ;)

Top Bottom