The terrain-unwise Romans

Thanks! :thanx: I will be sure to use this from now on.

Okay, the playing for Chapter 7 has been done for a while, and will be posted as soon as I have time to write it. I don't think that's right now, but I can try to write as much as possible.

Chapter 7: Rome vs. Anarchy (and lots of Barbarians)

Wish granted!

Oh, and none of the anarchy battles happened, I just used them for effect.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caeser could not yet change governments, as he had a couple things to do before then, namely among which was upgrading military and destroying the Mycenaeans. In the meantime, he would try to get everything ready for it.

December 25, 1 BC saw the birth of Jesus Christ, and for inexplicable reasons, people all over the world have changed the calendars from "BC" to "AD" and made 1 AD the following year. Caeser would eventuelly wonder what happened to 0, but 0 had not been invented yet (Historically, the Arabians invented it sometime in the 7th or 8th century, so for my story, only nations that know Arabia will have "0".), the probable cause of this. Anyway, back on topic.

Many people had adapted to the new calendar by 10 AD, at which point the Egyptians started building a great library, blah blah blah. Caeser was somewhat tired of getting these constant reports of this wonder or that wonder being built.

But 10 AD saw another unit of Mycenaean Horsemen wiped out by Roman Horsemen. Only 1 Mycenaean Horsemen unit remains. They were wiped out, along with the entirety of the Mycenaean tribe, in 30 AD.

And speaking of barbarians, the Navajo tribe was discovered to the north of America soon after Mycenae's downfall, although it appears that American warriors are going to be the ones to finish them off.

30 AD proved to be a very eventful year. Caeser finally had the equipment needed where it was needed (barracks) to upgrade his military. He called all of his stone-axe-wielding warriors to the barracks's and gave them new, shiny iron armor, shields, and swords. Caeser now had 4 Legions, or 400 of the new troops, and only one axe-wielding group, the one that was out exploring.

Roman Settlers once again had to find a new location for a city, but this time, the city was a fill-in city in territory that was already Roman, rather than one quite far from the border. It was named "Ravenna".

Founding that city was the last thing on Caeser's to-do list before he changed the country's government to Monarchy. As the year drew to a close, he formally anounced the government switch in Rome. He gave a very long speech adressing the matter, then finished with the formal destruction of the despotic government.

He hoped to quickly re-institute the government as a Monarchy, as Egypt had done, but could not do so, unfortunately. Pro-despotic supporters, scattered almost everywhere in the croud, started an immediate riot after Caeser's speech, and fighting broke out and filled the streets of Rome. Roman Soldiers forced them out of the city, but it appeared that they had support all over the country. They returned the following morning with greater numbers and now Rome has become a battlefield between the Roman military, which is struggling to re-instate government as a Monarchy, and the Zarvum rebellion, which is the official name for the pro-despotic supporters. Also, there were many non-fighters in Rome. Some joined the military, some joined the Zarvum rebellion, some continued on with their lives. But many have become the Kryon, who take advantage of the conditions of the city to commit all sorts of crimes, and sometimes work as hired assassins or mercenaries, for either side. There are also many smaller groups who do the same things as the Kryon, but are only about 10 people. Rome is now offically in a state of total Anarchy. Caeser's advisor says it is unknown how long until this will end, although she says 100 years at the most.

Not much happened in Rome itself in the period of anarchy, although Caeser still managed to get information from the other nations. In 50 AD, Carthage started work on the great lighthouse, wonder wonder blah blah blah. America attacked the Navajo camp twice, finishing them off in the fall of 50 AD. 70 AD, another wonder. However, 90 AD saw something somewhat interesting in the Roman empire. Roman citizens were getting sick of the fighting (no surprise), and thus migrated south and built the city of Hispalis on the Southern tip of the Mycenae penninsula.

By a bizzare coincidince, fighting had died down that year. Actually, most of the fighting was between the many gangs, but that was over now because only 2 remained: The Kryon and The Atherion, who were friendly. But they might not last much longer, as the Roman military is now bearing down on them. The Atherion were disbanded in 100 AD.

Boats exploring the Western side of the continent spotted a tribe of people called the Zapotec in 110 AD. Again, America will probably have the final say in their fate, but Roman warriors are close enough to at least go there and try to do some fighting.

With only one gang and the Zarvum left to deal with, the Roman military seems confident in victory. Possibly over-confident. But, that wouldn't stop them. In 125 AD, they fought a battle against the Kryon. The Kryon's leader died in the battle, and the gang with it. That just leaves the Zarvum.

The Roman Army and the Zarvum met in battle in March, 129 AD. The battle was ferocious. Catapults fired everywhere, and flying rocks and arrows criss-crossed the battlefield. Yells of pain echoed everywhere. However, Rome's overconfidence allowed them to be led into an ambush. They were forced to retreat.

However, they came back in December for another romp. The battle was very similar to the last one. However, the outcome would be different. Caeser himself fought in the battle, and it culminated in the fight between him and the leader of the Zarvum rebellion, Claudius. The fight seemed to last forever. Finally, a blunder was made and the fight ended, as did Claudius' life. The anarchy was over. In the spring of 130 AD, Caeser reinstitued the Roman government as a Monarchy.

Much rejoicing happened at this, although it was not yet time to celebrate. Rome lay mostly in ruins from the fighting, and rebuilding would have to happen. It took a lot of work, but was fully rebuilt within a 20 years.

In 170 AD, a gigantic sandstorm swept across the desert. It hit Rome with full-force winds and sand. Luckily, the buildings were new and built to last, so not much damage was done to the city, with the exception of a gaping hole in one of the walls.

But there was an upside. The sand sweeping across the desert sometimes uncovers artifacts from the past, so Roman Scientists started searching for them. They found a lot of rocks and fossils, and some mildly interesting artifacts. However, they did find two interesting things. A pair of scrolls in jugs that looked as if they had come from a faraway place, carried by the oceans and the winds. They told of two more wonders being built, one of the "Temple of Artemis" in the Mayan city of Chichen Itza, one of the "Mausoleum of Mausollos" in the Arabic city of Mecca. Caeser had no intrest in the wonders, or the city of Chichen Itza, which he had already heard of from the bottle-scroll he found on the beaches of Antium, but he was interested in Mecca, Arabia. So, the most advanced nation in the world (according to Livy's book) had a wonder. Kind of interesting.

This was followed in 190 AD and subsqesuent years by many nations starting new wonders, possibly because they had been building the two just built. A new term has been invented because of that: The wonder cascade.

Roman Warriors sent west to check out the Zapotec found their location in 210 AD, but they had somehow vanished. It appears that a Zapotec Horsemen group remains, though, ready to attack an american warrior group.

And speaking of barbarians, the Roman boats saw another barbarian tribe in the north. They discovered that they were:

"Again?" Said Caeser when he heard the news, "Come on. We've killed the Cherokee twice, how can they still live? Well this time, when we kill them, they'll stay dead!"

But Rome was not in a position to do that right now.

The Zapotec Horsemen attacked the American warriors soon after this news, and wiped them out. The roman warriors headed South towards them to kill them. They were attacked by another group of Zapotec Horsemen in 230 AD, but unlike the Americans, they survived this attack. In 250 AD, they then proceeded to finish of the first Zapotec Horsemen group. At this, they suceeded. Caeser now sends them orders to go north, and finish off the Cherokee for good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
No Map right now- I forgot to make one :wallbash:

Last edited:
Dude, get a life. You spend too much time begging for more in the S&T forums.

Woo-hoo! I have founf the ini file and fixed the barbarians. Hopefully. I will have to see if it really is fixed.
EDIT: They appear to be fixed.

Note: This update is divided into two posts so I can fit in all the screenies I took.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8: A new age

"The calm before the storm" is a saying well known in Rome, as that is shown by the frequent sandstorms that ravage the desert around it, and sometimes Rome itself. Caeser thinks that is happening on a larger scale in the world right now, as tensions are building, not they ever don't, but they seem faster right now.

Little real news happened for a while after the battles with the Zapotec, just movements seen and made, wonders being started. But Caeser knew things would happen. Things worth noticing started happening in 310 AD, when the Americans developed a new form of government called "Republic". Caeser is currently not interested, but Lincoln seems to show no immediate liking for it, either. Also, the Cherokee seemed to have learned how to build ships, and had a few galleys in the coast to the northeast of their camp. These were sunk by Roman Curraghs.

Caeser found that the "storm" might be approaching soon, with much news in a single day. On January 2, 330, A team of scientists approached with the news that they had made a system of currency for the Roman Empire, and that this discovery had thrust them into a new age. This was shown by the fact that Roman cities looked slightly different, and the musicians in Caeser's Palace had learned some new songs.

Caeser was very impressed with this. He asked the mastermind behind this discovery to step forward. "Me," said one of them, "I am Leonardo DaVinci."
"Okay, Leo," said Caeser, "I am impressed. You certainly are a great scientist."

His people were happy at these new events, and thus built him a stairway for his Palace.

Later the same year, an Illinois Galley appeared to the Northeast of the exploring curragh "fleet". Caeser remembered such a galley appearing 360 years ago near the Ligurians. Could this be the same Galley?

In any case, the curraghs sunk it just as easily as they had the Cherokee one.

And speaking of the Cherokee, Roman warriors found the Cherokee's camp destroyed in 350 BC. Apparently, Lincoln had beaten them to the punch.

In 360 BC, Roman settlers reached the island Northwest of Carthage, hereby named Sicily, and founded the city of Viroconium.

Soon after this, a tribe of mainly Horsemen called the Chehalis appeared in the north near where the Cherokee had been.

American warriors quickly took out the foot soldiers in their group. Then, one group of Horsemen counterattacked the American warriors, but lost the battle. However, more Chehalis Horsemen have appeared.

The start of 370 AD was marked with the building of a Statue to a god called Zeus in Caeserea, Byzantium.

However, battles would soon begin with the Chehalis.

Last edited:
The battle of Chehalis mountain, as it is now called, was ready for the fighting. The only question was who would emerge victorious.

Roman Warriors attacked from the East, killing one half of the Horsemen on the mountain. American warriors then attacked from the north, and took control of the mountain. But keep control they did not, as Chehalis Horsemen now attacked from the Southeast. The first attack failed, but the second attack defeated the almost-dead American soldiers without any trouble.

More wonders were built in early 380 AD: The Great Library in Washington, America, and the Great Lighthouse in Constantinople, Byzantium.

Caeser realized that Lincoln would use this library to learn something, like Currency, so he stopped him from getting Currency for free and sold it to him:

Caeser could tell from this that Lincoln was a real idiot, as he could have gotten it for free soon anyways. But who cares? He got something.

Roman warriors attacked Chehalis mountain again, defeating the Horsemen there and gaining control. They also saw the Chehalis in battle with something to the south, but he could not see what. They can also see the Chehalis' camp- and only one Horsemen group that isn't in it.

They attacked that group in 390, but unfortunately, lost the battle.

Speaking of barbarians, Scythian galleys appeared to the south of Sicily:

Roman Galleys quickly attacked and defeated these Galleys.

--------------------------------
Note: I forgot to take notes from this point to 530 AD, so I might have missed a few details. Sorry. :wallbash: Also, I have to take a temporary pause.
--------------------------------

Last edited:
Rushing his workshop, or maybe Sun Tzu.

News started dying down again when Caeser didn't know about the barbarians. But, there was always the news of wonders, like the Great Wall being built in Amsterdam in 440, and The Hanging Gardens being built in Elephantine, Egypt in 470.

And then there was news in the Roman Empire. The city of Lugdunum was build in the East:

Finally, in 530 AD, Roman Scientists came up with something called Feudalism.

This would allow some new things, hopefully things that would be of aid to the Roman Empire. But anyway, here, another chapter ends.

Spoiler :

Last edited:
I dont understand... why are you placing the citys where you are?

This is Regent level, where I can afford to make dumb mistakes like that. Thanks to the terrain, these are actually pretty good city locations.

And Pachacuti is definately hemmed in, or he probably wouldn't be building all thouse cities away from home.

They are horrendus locations.. i know you were trying some variant.. but i can't see where you have followed that variant.. The most obvious mistake being placing citys one tile away from the coast...

Ah, yes, that would certainly be :smoke: play.

Maybe I should have called the variant "build cities like the AI" :lol:

Top Bottom