The terrain-unwise Romans

Sooner or Later, I'll probably do another story, but it will probably be later rather than sooner.

great story, sorry for digging up old brains but it deserved notification for the fact that I don't like civ3 stories and i enjoyed this one!

So, I heard that ImageShack was deleting a bunch of images at the end of the month, and decided to back up the ones in this story. They say they're not going to delete any anonymously uploaded ones (like all the ones I uploaded), but I figured I'd back them up just to be safe, since before a couple of weeks I go, I didn't actually have most of the images saved anywhere on any of my computers.

I ended up reading pretty much all of the story, which combined with some other things made this take considerably longer than it should have. I kind of wish I'd done that earlier, because a ton of the images are gone anyway due to random disappearances, and I can't get them back. Mostly, it's only 1 or 2 per chapter, but some posts have 7 or 8 missing images. Worse are the ones where I didn't do a good job of writing what happened in said images, making the story hard to follow at certain points.

Maybe I should go back and edit some of them to make more sense where possible. Maybe I should also go back and fix the random minor errors in wording, the poorly-flowing sentences, and every goddamn time I spelled Caesar's name with an e. Maybe I should take advantage of the higher image limit to fuse some of the multi-part chapters into one part. But, nah, it just wouldn't be the same, even if I've gotten better at writing stuff than I was 5 years ago. Just doesn't feel as authentic, or whatever.

At least I now have most of the images in this story backed up in a nice folder that occupies 100 MB of my hard drive space, and all of my images in my other story are backed up, of which there are considerably more.

Well, I guess I'll end this epic thread bump now.

It's been a few more years and as I feared, ImageShack's images disappeared a long time ago. The forum migration also seems to have missed up the images in the first few chapters I uploaded here, though that issue might be resolved.

In any case, I really should have gotten around to fixing the images a long time ago- at least the ones I still have backed up and can fix. I'll try to do that some time in the next month or so when I have time to, assuming all the forum migration issues can get fixed fairly soon.

Whoa, I didn't even realize until I looked at the second-most-recent post that this bump was for the terrain-unwise Romans, not the Conquests as I automatically assumed. Bummer about the images though; seems you're right about them disappearing. At least you have most of them now.

I'll get around to updating my other story at some point, too! A bit too busy right now, though.

So, when I said three years ago "I'll get around to fixing the images in this story soon," what I actually meant was "I'm going to completely forget to do that for a long time, periodically think 'I should get around to that' and not do anything, and basically put it off forever."

UNTIL NOW.

Presenting: Choxorn's Terrrain-Unwise Romans: The Remastered Edition! I'm going to go back and fix every image I still have (most of them, but not all of them), and also put back in the chapter titles, since apparently post titles stopped being a thing with the move to Xenforo a while back and I want them back (I'm also going to do that in my other story after I finish fixing everything here). And... that's it. I'm not going to be one of those people who edits a movie 30 years later to "get closer to my original vision," I'm going to as much as I can leave everything here the way it was when I first wrote it, no matter how many silly and cringy things 13-year-old me wrote the first time. I'm not even going to fix the spelling mistakes. If I make any edits at all, it will be to try to clarify things that were in the images I wasn't able to save where the story doesn't really make a ton of sense without those images, but other than that, I won't make any changes.

And this time, I'm actually going to do these things, make the edits, and try to actually fix things instead of putting it off for 5 years!

Well, I'm still finishing my second story, I should probably do that, as long as I'm on the subject of "things I meant to do 5 years ago but didn't"

Gotten everything up to Chapter 13. Luckily, the missing images haven't been too bad so far; For the first 6 chapters I was uploading to the old CFC upload server instead of ImageShack and it turns out I was able to save everything from those before the server move. The next ones are pretty much all missing at least one- usually, the information contained in the missing image wasn't super vital, but it would still be really nice to have them all back. Particularly Chapter 12, were well over half the images aren't there anymore, and I know there's some future chapters that also have quite a few missing images.

Fixed as much as I can up to Chapter 27 now, about halfway done. The majority of images are saved, and thankfully, most of the time the image not being there doesn't completely wreck things, since the image is something that's fairly obvious from the surrounding narration- things like peace deals, or cities being captured- sure they'd be nice to still have, but it's not the end of the world that they're not there (I'm a bit sad that the image from when I conquered America is among the gone forever ones, I hope at least a few of my <insert civ> destroyed images are still there).

About the only things where the images aren't there and the narration doesn't really help me see what was in them are trade deals- even then I can figure out a few of the luxuries I must have gotten by seeing which ones I have in the later screenshots of city screens.

44 chapters down, 10 to go. The end is in sight!

And, that's everything! I'm done! I've uploaded every image in the story that I managed to save, including some of things like maps and histographs that were outside the actual chapters but just posted by me in the thread. I've also put all the chapter titles back in. Along the way, I tried to fill in details about images that I couldn't recover. Sometimes the edits were minor and I didn't note them, but there's also places where I'm doing a lot more edits and guessing, and leave an explicit note in there basically saying "I don't know exactly what was in this image, but this is what I think it was"

I mostly didn't change other things- a few minor edits here and there to fix things that were factually wrong (like, me naming the wrong city or giving the wrong direction or something) but left in minor mistakes. I also made two changes related to the Internet: First, I decided to move my picture of me building the Internet into the final chapter instead of the postgame pics because I think it belongs there anyway (I was probably originally intending to put it there). Second, while reading through my other points, I found a part in chapter 46 which referenced some information traveling via the Internet in the story- which didn't actually make sense, because the Internet didn't actually exist in the game for another 20 years, so I just cut that part out.

But other than that, the story is the same as ever. I figure if this story is in the top 20 most viewed threads, then I must have been doing something right 12 years ago! Feels weird looking back on it now- people liked my writing, but I know I can do much better than I could when I was 13, and I can't help but cringe a bit at 13-year-old me making spelling and grammar errors every other sentence, constantly interrupting the narration to over-explain things or break the 4th wall to make corny references or jokes, or spending seemingly half my posts outside the actual story (and some in the actual story) whining about how I never have time for anything and my mom won't let me use the computer all day. Stop whining, past me, ya darn whipper-snapper! You're in middle school, you don't know the meaning of not having time to do things you want to do! :old:

^What Toxicman007 said. I know how long it takes to restore and old story whose links are broken (see the "20% restored" in my sig), and indeed the availability of time tends to be lower nowadays than 10-12 years ago. Well done!

Hmmmm. Nice story, and with a lot of details. Rome did a very slow start, and I think you have done bad to trade luxuries to your side once past 4 owned - at least those that have gold involved. Lux for say coal is about normal. Then, I'd rather you not trade Flight/Moto around, unless you've got em from Chinese - having tanks while they don't is a megaton of fun. And what is there with your weak culture? I've got troubles in not winning by culture at Monarch if I ever start wrecking opponents. Last time I accidentally got a Domination win by capturing (I hate razing cities) a 36-size metropolis and several 20+ in a single turn - modern armor just TEARS UP normal Infantry :D running over pop threshold despite one city defecting off me the next turn. Hum. Otherwise I was steadily steaming to a standstill victory of peace-friendship-bubblegum. Should they not declare on me, of course.

Top Bottom