The terrain-unwise Romans

Hopefully, America won't take much of their territory. And the main reason I did that is because if the Byzantines got America into an alliance against me, well, I would be dead under the crushing power of being attacked by 3 neighbors at once.

Currently, my plan is to play defence for a little while, building up Cavalry in the meantime, and then, once their powerful attacks are over and they start using the famous "AI pincemeal half-hearted attacks", I'll go use WW to force Carthage into Anarchy (They are in Democracy right now :eek:), then, when they enter Anarchy, I'll tear them to pieces.

I suppose if the Americans had plenty of money and you felt like rushing a few banks, you could take out a loan from them. That way you win wether they declare war or not.

Maybe, yes, but I'd rather only have 2 enemies (I'm not counting the Navigation-lacking 3CC Arabs as an actual enemy) at the moment.

By the way, why bother with Green (Carthage?) when you still have your own landmass to conquer?
Edit: I know that's your old city, but I suggest you let it go for now, even if it's emotional for you.

If the Americans are able to take the hit from the Byzantines, I suggest you head the other way for now. You have at least 20 turns of safety from Theo, use them wisely.
Edit 2: I mean Egypt, take them out, if you need to call up Lincoln again, if Egypt takes American cities you will have a fair case for retaking them.

True, but I will have to eventually take care of Carthage- why not do so when they are in Anarchy?

I think I'll concentrate most of my efforts to the Byzantines until Carthage goes into Anarchy, though. When they go into Anarchy, I'll send my troops on Sicily, plus some more from the mainland, to go take advantage of their government.

I suggest you put Carthage off. Build a few ships, and put them on patrol. Carthage can't touch you if there's even a bit of navy stopping them. Carthage will build units until it reaches its limit, if you keep sinking its ships, it will stop building them. His continent will fill up with cavalry and guerrillas. Take Sicily, plant a stack of bombers on it, destroy their army, take all their stuff as a settlement.

Good report,
I can never manage those alliances correctly, They always seem to boomerang on me.

You have to be a very fair civ, and I seriously suggest signing embargoes. You need a navy, and an spare army (by army I mean lots of units, not army army). It's very expensive to get an embargo from a nation trading with the enemy, so blockade for a turn, the trade ends, get the embargo (usually free), and let the blockade go. Best strategy ever.

I could really use a bigger army right now. I'm currently hard-pressed fighting Carthage on Sicily and the Byzantines in the center of the continent.

Exactly why you should let Sicily go for now. Naval invasions are always much more expensive than attacks on your own landmass. Defend what you have in Sicily and concentrate on your continent. You have cavalry now, it should be easy.

My units in Sicily are 2 Cavalry in Viro, 2 in Malaca. That is barely enough, but I need the rest of my small army in Brundisium and Andahuaylas. But, seeing as Carthage has only landed one 2-move unit this turn, I can just move back and forth between Malaca and Viro, thus causing them to repeatedly turn around, again, again, again.

I would sue for peace, but that's just me, I don't like having enemies unless they're in the same direction... unless I have steam power. But these guys are separated by sea, so I would want peace with them.

A drastic measure you could take is to GIFT those cities to them as settlement, that way you get 4 cavalry for the byzantine war.

I should probably sign peace soon. The Arabs were recently destroyed, and since all of my alliances except the one with the Maya involved an alliance with the Arabs, they ended, and the Maya have already signed Peace with Carthage. Thus, I am not forced to be at war with them. Heck, they might even give me something for peace, or at least be close to a straight peace deal.

I a split between advising you to get peace now and build build build, or try to conquer Byzantines and America first. Industrialization is coming, you need to be ready for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I decided to just fight off both of them whilst making advances on the Byzantines, since it seems that both of them have run out of steam.
Oh, and BTW, can someone tell me how to create a link to a single post? I wish to make an index.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 20: (Really) Dumb Diplomacy

Vitcos, also known as "Tug-Of-War City (or TOWC)" for its constant captures and recaptures, fell to the Byzantines in 1550. Musketmen just can't stand up to Cavalry. Strangely, some of the Byzantine Cavalry went East.

Soon after this, the other nations starting getting stupid with regards to diplomacy. First, the Arabs and Babylon signed peace, breaking at least one alliance.

Caeser punched Augustus in the face for being happy about it.

Then, Egypt signed another alliance- but it was with America against Carthage!

Now they were on both sides? Caeser questioned Cleo's sanity.

In news of the war, America captured Tiwanaku, an ex-Inca city east of Huamanga, and Carthage captured Macao, China's far-away island city that shared an island with a Carthaginian city.

In 1555, neutral skirmishes were frequent. In the area around Brundisium, Chalcedon, and Atlanta, Roman Cavalry killed Byzantine musketmen to the north of Brundisium, then they, and more Cavalry were wiped out by Byzantine Knights and Longbowmen. American Cavalry were soon seen in the area.
Soon after, Yamama was captured by Dutch forces. Abu Bakr and the Arabic government have fled to Shiraz. In The ex-Inca empire, Tiwanaku was recaptured by teh Byzantines, but America took control of Corihuayrachina.
And then, more peace:

Caeser is not pleased with either Hammurabi or Smoke-Jaguar, those stupid promise breakers!

More neutral skirmishes in 1560. A Roman Leigon forced Byzantine Knights to retreat, and Cavalry and the Leigon advanced. Unfortunately, they were attacked. Cavalry managed to defeat the weak Byzantine Longbowmen, but another Cavalry unit was defeated by Byzantine Cavalry, and other Byzantine Cavalry defeated the Leigon, remembered as the heroic "Legion last stand" as they were the last Roman Leigon. And then there were none. And no more could be created. American Cavalry are still here, but it is not known- or remebered- what they were doing there.

Shiraz was captured by China soon after. Abu Bakr and the Arabic government have fled to Merw- The Arabs' final city.

In 1565, China advanced on the pitiul defense of Merw. They won easily. They found and captured Abu Bakr. They set fire to the city and forced him- plus many other Arabic government officials- to watch it burn for a while before killing them and tossing their bodies into the burning city (Which earned much outrage from the Islamic people of the world, as burning dead bodies violated their religion). The Arabic Empire is no more.

This has had a major impact on the world, as the alliances against Carthage Caeser signed expired with the Arabs' destruction. No one is forced to fight Carthage any longer, except for the Americans and Egyptians.

In bad news of the war, Byzantine Cavalry defeated the Musketmen garrison of Andahuaylas and captured the city. Although they managed to hold off one Byzantine Cavalry charge, they could not hold out both of them.

Caeser soon had Cavalry there to recpture the city, but they could only defeat one Pikemen garrison in 1570.
In 1575, cannons tore apart the Cavalry defenders of Andahuaylas, as well as some Byzantine Longbowmen outside the city. A Roman Medieval INfantry unit charged, as did a Roman Cavalry unit, and they wiped out all the Cavalry defending Andahuaylas. Soon after, other Cavalry killed the Longbowmen nearby the city.

The Byzantine counterattack was pitiful, only a Knight Charge aimed at Brundisium. Or so it seemed, as it defeated the Musketmen in Brundisium, which shouldn't have happened! Good News: There were still defenders in Brundisium. Bad News: They were Medeival Infantry. Good News: American Cavalry took out the Byzantine Knights. Bad News: This isn't the Bad News/Good News thread! (Sorry, couldn't resist doing that)
More peace was to follow:

Caeser is less annoyed, as they no longer had an alliance. Oh, and speaking of Carthage, a Knight unit, 2 Medeival Infantry units, and a Longbowmen unit were unloaded on to Sicily soon after.
In 1580, Roman Cavalry defeated all of the Carthaginian troops that had just been unloaded.
And then, more peace:

Caeser didn't give a $#!t here, and is only slightly annoyed at China.

In "The Slugfest Zone" (My name for the area around Sardica, Chacledon, Atlanta, and Brundisium for its constant fighting), Byzantine Knights defeated Roman Cavalry. American Cavalry avenged their deaths.

Roman troops advance on Amorium. Unfortunately, the 1585 attack by Roman Cavalry was forced to retreat. In more Bad news, the Byzantines captured Machu Picchu, an American ex-Inca city.

The attack on Amorium resumed in 1590. Roman Cavalry defeated one of the Byzantine Musketmen garrisons, but more Cavalry lost to the second.

Soon after, China signed peace with Carthage:

And then Carthage requsted peace with Rome. Caeser might have accepted, but he would have to pay a lot for the deal:

[NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: I don't know exactly what the request was because I only kept note of it in the picture and didn't write anything about it and the picture's gone forever now, but I guess it must have been a price I was unwilling to pay, which may have been "any price at all"]

"You make me laugh, Hannibal," said Caeser, "I am clearly winning. Why should I have to pay?"
"Who has the bigger military?" asked Hannibal, "Oh yeah, me."
"Who is at war with 4 nations at once, and who is in Democracy, and who has lost more than he has gained?" asked Caeser, "That's also you."
And he left the meeting.

A deal with the Dutch ran out. Caeser renewed it for the benifit of everyone:

[NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: I think this is the Saltpeter for Luxuries deal I originally signed with the Dutch way back in Chapter 16, but I don't know, again the pictures are gone forever]

Caeser's point that he had made to Hannibal was strengthened soon after, when Egypt captured Russadir.

In 1595, Roman scientists discovered a Theory of Gravity to explain how gravity worked. Or rather, RE-discovered, since everyone else but the Byzantines and Maya had gotten it 5 FREAKIN YEARS AGO (Actually, judging from gold, Babylon researched it and sold it to everyone else, or maybe their IA free tech). Don't you hate it when that happens?

Also, the Forbidden Palace was completed in Neapolis. Caeser had been working on it for at least a century.

Luck appeared to now on Caeser's side, since Byzantine Longbowmen failed to even injure his medieval infantry (Who are now elite), and similar occurence happened when a Byzantine Knight attacked Roman Cavalry. In 1600, those same Cavalry defeated the Musketmen in Amorium and the city is now Roman.

With luck like this, Caeser just might win this war.

Last edited:
For anyone who wants to know, here is what the diplo screen looks like right now (China was removed because they're at Peace with everybody)

Lovely diplomacy screen, I love it when it runs red with blood like that... and orange... with......... orange juice, which hurts a lot if it gets into a wound... so yeah....

Anyway great story, make sure if you have a powerful cavalry force and a powerful slow unit force to use them separately, otherwise the slow units are wasting time.

I am using them seperately, although sometimes, the slow dudes catch up with the fast dudes.

I am using them seperately, although sometimes, the slow dudes catch up with the fast dudes.
I mean send them in different directions, draw two lines along Byzantine cities, sand cav on one line, and slow attackers on the other line.

Aah, I see your point. Well, as soon as I get a musket or two to defend the slow attackers and cannons, I'll do that.

Top Bottom