The "What's Really Cool" Thread

Xyriach

Chieftain
As there seem to be a number of threads cataloging the issues (real or imagined) with Civ 6, I thought at least one thread celebrating it needed a presence.

So, what do you love about it?

I really like the new Civics functionality. So much better in terms of capability and customisation and really feels like you're putting in policies not just making a choice now that will be useless later. It's a great addition to the game.

First the graphic design, specially the map and fog of war. I really love it.

Second, the district system. It adds so much fun, that should be forbidden.

Third, the return of govs and the new policies system, it adds way more versatility to each game.

There are many other cool features, like eurekas, but these three are what I really love so far.

I've only played 28 turns this morning before being almost late for work, but:

The theme song is absolutely amazing. It's been stuck in my head for the entire day :)
The looks of the game are stunning - the best looking Civ game so far. I love the old map theme, the fog of war looks great, all that plus music create wonderful immersion. My excitement is on par with what I felt when I started my first Civ 1 game and discovered after a dozen of turns, upon accidentally clicking on a city tile, that you can actually enter cities and change some things there :D

Oh, and finally playing the game for yourself is completely different experience than watching all those streams and LPs. Can't wait to get back home and continue this amazing adventure.

I've only played 28 turns this morning before being almost late for work, but:

The theme song is absolutely amazing. It's been stuck in my head for the entire day :)
The looks of the game are stunning - the best looking Civ game so far. I love the old map theme, the fog of war looks great, all that plus music create wonderful immersion. My excitement is on par with what I felt when I started my first Civ 1 game and discovered after a dozen of turns, upon accidentally clicking on a city tile, that you can actually enter cities and change some things there :D

Oh, and finally playing the game for yourself is completely different experience than watching all those streams and LPs. Can't wait to get back home and continue this amazing adventure.

I had the main theme stuck in my head last night when I was trying to sleep. I'm really looking forward to putting the kids to bed and firing up the game again.

The entire game :D

More seriously, for me it has to be the district system. I think it hits that perfect spot of easy to pick-up, but hard to master. Its going to take quite a while to really get used to the right way of thinking about where to settle and how to plan ahead regarding which districts to build in which cities and how to position them correctly to get the best set up for adjacency bonuses.

Many of the UI elements are actually well thought out, something I only realized when I was well into the late game. Even the lack of queuing was good, as it helped me make more involved and careful decisions each time a city is available to construct something. The queuing in CiV could make late game very brain-dead, sometimes, and it was sub-optimal because in the process of spamming the same units or queuing all the buildings, I would miss out on many opportunities to re-optimize based on how the game unfolded, so I learned to appreciate this new change.

I wrote most of my impressions on the other thread, so I don't think I should repeat them here. But in general I was very satisfied with the game.

Everything! But my favorite things so far:

1. I feel like there are more hard decisions to make than in Civ 5. Tech, civics, builds, settling, district placement, where to send traders, what to do with envoys -- I've really had to pause and think. I remember getting bored going up the Civ 5 tech tree the same way every game. I doubt that will happen as much with Civ 6.

2. The graphical look, including the leader animations.

3. The awesome music.

4. Districts: just a great, great idea.

5. Civics cards. Part of the "interesting decisions" thing. Far more interesting to me than the social policy tree of Civ 5. I love being able to undo and redesign the configuration of my civics.

6. The AI seems improved to me.

Units design is awesome! I especially love the Aztec Knights with the Jaguar shaped helmets! I wish they had made civ specific unit design for industrial and modern era as well because they look amazing.

I really like to way diplomacy actually tells you what us going on and how you can influence it.

Districts/wonders are also an excellent addition.

The government system and districts are wonderful. In V I was trying so hard to play out of the optimal strategy and playing to my terrain, and got really frustrated that it was so hard to win without tradition. In my very first game as VI, I looked at my surroundings and changed my strategy based on them, and it just shows how much more variance there will be in playstyles this time around! Getting to a new government or new policies is exciting, and maximizing district bonuses is a really fun minigame, made even better because each city is so different! I'm loving playing with this new system, that's easily the highlight of VI for me.

The music is great, cities feel more unique, and the AI -while still flawed and prone to sometimes random DoW- has character this time. I also love the leader animations even though I don't always like the style. Cleopatra's resting b-face when she insults or denounces you is just priceless, as is Felipe's overacting.

There's one thing that really put a grin on my face: Gorgo asked me for a joint war against Peter, but she didn't do it in the old "do this although you have nothing to gain, or I'll be forever annoyed with you way". Instead she offered me a decent amount of gold up front and a bit more over 30 turns.
Yes, the AI bribed me, a real human, into a war. It's almost like the leaders aren't just there to single me out and antagonize me with arrogant demands.

Agree with the many who have mentioned the music -- really well done.

The government providing slots/civics cards system -- I am really liking this so far. Need to play further to see how the legacy aspect works over time, but I like the idea of it.

Those are what have stood out most for me, so far. Enjoying the game, despite a few niggles and nits with various small stuff in the UI. I expect some of that is just unfamiliarity, and will not bother me once I get a little more used to the new ways of manipulating things.

The menu music in this game is so good, that I didn't want to start the game haha. I had to wait it out - it's insanely good.

I think this has only happened to me once (and I have played a lot of games) before and that was in a game called Sid Meier's Civilization 4.

So far I do like the map look. I haven't had the same issues as others confusing things, but it's also early so we'll see.

Harvesting is pretty awesome too. I ignored it at first because it seemed like a waste... but then I conquered Sparta (as Aztecs), which was a size 5 city or something. Had tons of Builder units. So I ran around the place cutting down forests and filling swamps--hit 10 pop in like 20 turns and went from last place in the Prophet race to first by blitzing a Holy Site.

There's a lot to think about with whether Harvesting is worth it, but it can really blast off a city. Especially with the Aztecs.

BTW, despite what Ed's crew said, it does appear the Pyramids affect the number of Builders the Aztecs get from kills. I was getting 4 per Builders per kill whereas I am pretty sure without the Pyramids I was only getting 3.

Harvesting is pretty awesome too. I ignored it at first because it seemed like a waste... but then I conquered Sparta (as Aztecs), which was a size 5 city or something. Had tons of Builder units. So I ran around the place cutting down forests and filling swamps--hit 10 pop in like 20 turns and went from last place in the Prophet race to first by blitzing a Holy Site.

There's a lot to think about with whether Harvesting is worth it, but it can really blast off a city. Especially with the Aztecs.

BTW, despite what Ed's crew said, it does appear the Pyramids affect the number of Builders the Aztecs get from kills. I was getting 4 per Builders per kill whereas I am pretty sure without the Pyramids I was only getting 3.

I haven't seen this question answered anywhere yet, maybe you know it. Do barbarians count for the Aztec harvesting? It says other civilizations in the civpedia, but I wasn't 100% sure if it meant what it said.

the music is amazing, civic tree/policies, oh the air combat stuff is pretty neat too, you can deploy fighters farther out from the airports and them have them attack from that position the next turn(increasing range), oh also the city states/envoys

The menu music in this game is so good, that I didn't want to start the game haha. I had to wait it out - it's insanely good.

I think this has only happened to me once (and I have played a lot of games) before and that was in a game called Sid Meier's Civilization 4.

This is pretty much the reason the lengthy load time on my aging laptop hasn't bothered me so far. The time it takes between firing up the game to finishing the load on a save is almost exactly enough for it to go through one full loop of the main theme :D

Top Bottom