Theme song idea

snoproblem

Chieftain
This has likely been covered, probably exhaustively, but I can't find the thread, so I started a new one.

The choice for main theme is always a big deal when it comes to new versions of our favorite game. After a recent listen, I thought of a candidate...

'Telegraph Road' - Dire Straits

Wonder if Knopfler would go for it. To me, it's a no-brainer. It's a 'This Is Us' song, right out of the .box. It would be awesome, whether the original studio cut, a live version, or a special one just for the game.

I'd like this very much.

I am not so sure this has been exhaustively discussed. The past three musical themes appear to have been "Baba Yetu," "Terra Nova," and "Sogno di Volare," if I am not mistaken. All three would seem to suggest a feeling of awe and wonder, to which I expect Civ VII's theme will adhere as well.

That said, I would be open to hearing more of an affirmative case for "Telegraph Road."

The Dire Straits song speaks of exploration, settlement, growth, and eventual blight/decline, but ends on a brighter note, implying enduring hope for the future. If a future game introduced the concept of Rust Belt style decline in some regions as an economic hazard,such a theme would definitely fit in.

For sure. In my experience, Civ VI did an OK job of representing sector development and decline through improvements: from Feudalism's farm clustering to the rampant efforts to drive up production and then the potential conversion of all land into tourism-generating improvements for culture victory. Representing a more general mechanism including decline (like a beefed up Rise and Fall) could be interesting but would have to be balanced for players who may quit at the onset of a severe recession. A lot of how I have read into that in past gameplay has been through progressive yield trade-offs, overall breakdown of yields including by region, and what I would generally call flavor.

Top Bottom