Things that need fixing

Smak

Chieftain
1. There needs to be at least a 50% negative modifier to attacking from sea. As it is right now one frigate and one cannon in a caravel can take out any city by bombarding with frigate and attacking from safety with cannon. It takes time because the cannon will need to heal up but it will kill the defenders faster than they can be replaced. And it gets even more disgusting when you play dutch and fill a merchantmen with cannon for a stack attack on the city.

2. When you take guns, horses, or tools off a unit then you should lose 50% of them in the transfer. With current game mechanics you can request military aid from king and get a soldier for around 500 gold, put horses on him for about 111 gold, take him to your city and strip all guns and horses off him to sell to indians for about 1200-1500 gold. Thats a profit of over 600 gold leaving you with a veteran soldier you can re-equip later. Then you can turn around and buy a cannon and another dragoon with that 1500 gold and repeat the process. It would make better sense that when something gets used you lose, break, or somehow end up with less than what you started with.

3. There needs to be a 15-20 second window at the start of each round where you cannot move or attack. How many times have you been playing and you get attacked before you can respond? How many times did your unit die when he had a promotion available that could have been used to heal up before the fight? I have also seen a bug where the turn starts you out with one unit selected like a ship or something and you go to click on the unit you want to move first and it jumps back to selecting the ship.

4. Remove the ability to "stack attack" from multiplayer. It just doesnt make sense to allow the attacker to send several units at the same time on attack forcing you to resolve all those attacks before you get a chance to retreat or counterattack.

5. Cannons should be able to damage ships that are bombarding your city, if you have a fortress. So every time a frigate or ship of the line is used to bombard a cities defenses every cannon in the city should get a shot at the ship. Since cannon is 3 str and frigate and ship of the line are 8 str one cannon will never kill a ship by itself, but 4 or so should be able to sink a ship.

6. Make cannons a material that is required to build warships in addition to tools and guns. It should take a combination of tools, guns, and cannon to build combat ships. As it stands it takes a rediculous amount of tools and guns to build a ship of the line, better to require less tools and guns and a few cannon instead.

7. Add slaves to the game, and when a privateer sinks a ship thats holding colonists it should take 1 or 2 slaves. Give slaves the same stats as converted natives. Also privateers should be able to pick a promotion that allows them to be able to steal a % of the enemies gold when they sink a ship. Maybe 5-10% and require vet 1 or 2 before they can pick the promotion.

8. Fix the bug where missions will randomly give converted natives to the same country of origin but different players.

9. Change the ranger and mountaineer promotions so that those infantry can hide in a square and ambush any enemy that enters that square, provided it has the forest/jumgle or hills/peaks they need to hide in. As it stands infantry are of limited use and this would spice things up a bit.

10. Change scouts so their nationality is hidden just like privateers. This way when your scout finds another player they will not know who you are. Its not like a scout is going to open diplomatic relations in real life, they just report back to their commander what they find. Also this would allow scouts to enter other nations borders and pillage improvements. The other player could kill your scout if they can catch him without starting war. How many times have you seen a scout and wanted to kill it but were playing a game with rules of peace for x number of turns at the start?

11. Make it so you can combine three regular soldiers and create one veteran soldier. Make it so you can combine three cannon and create one artillary. And make it so you can combine three ships of the line to create one man of war. This would allow you to field expensive but highly effective units.

1) In GlobalDefines.xml: change AMPHIB_ATTACK_MODIFIER to -50 from -20.

2) Yes I have thought about that free resourses. You could mabe make it so new units are always colonists (and therefor without resourses). Then you have to add the weapons/tools yourself.

3)b Yes it's annoying to move the wrong unit.

5) Yes would be very needed.

6) I was thinking about making such mod.

7) Dom Pedro II was about to add slaves. But he has been away for 4 weeks now.

8) Isn't that fixed in latest patch by Dale?

9) I think Dom Pedro II was going to do that.

10) Easy to change in xml.

11) Dosn't sound that logical. Maybe do it in some other way.

3)a and 4) - I dont know as I have never tried multiplay.

I dont know about dom pedro or dale, i think these changes should be incorperated into an official patch. Since multiplayer is based off official patches.

Well you are writing in the mod section.

If all players use the same inofficial patch it will owrk (what I know).

Smak: thats an extensive wants list :) well done

1. I intend to slightly increase the penalty in my Fathers mod (-20% to -25%), though I think -50% is overkill for persons attacking over a river, as yet I don't think there is any way to distinguish between attacking over a river or from the beaches
2. You also have a useless soldier until you buy or make him new guns or horses. There is also a cost-benefit to this in that you always have to remain peaceful with the newly armed natives. Thats what firaxis intended there to be with trading them guns and horses. I think this is alleviated somewhat in that you can't buy horses or guns for anything like the cheap amount 111gold in Dale's patchmod 1.07, and i intend to increase muskets more in mine.
3 & 4. I haven't played MP but cheers for pointing out issues
5 & 6 would be great additions to any mod imo, only they seem like they need a decent coder to me.
7. Slaves, would be a good addition and a possible capture from defeating any enemy unit? Indentured servants imo should just be represented by slaves anyway.
8. already fixed in patchmod 1.07
9. I think thats what the ability to gain defensive bonuses represents?
10. Not sure if I agree, scouts march into indian villages proclaiming who they are and demanding gifts, don't like the idea of having it both ways.
11. Yeah I don't like it, though I would like to see artillery and man-o-war's on my side. I still hope someone brigs back the french intervention properly :)

Jenks. River (-10%) and amphibious (-20%) attack are 2 different variables.

Jenks. River (-10%) and amphibious (-20%) attack are 2 different variables.

ah, hence the RIVER_ATTACK_MODIFIER in globaldefines.xml :p

im gonna leave attack river at -10%, and have attack from sea -25% for the moment, at least for a playtest.

I think river attacks should be neg 25% and attacking from sea neg 50%. Then with amphibious it should be 0 modifier for river attacks and 25% for sea attacks.

As it stands a cannon has 3 base str and plus 100% for attacking a city to make 6 str, then lower attack by 20% for attacking from sea makes 5.4 str. But if you kill a couple indians first you have bomb 2 adding 45% str for a total of 6.75 str. A defending cannon would have 3 str plus 50% defense in city is 4.5 str, with stockade its 6 str. If they defend with a soldier thats had time to fortify he would have 3.75 str or 5.25 with stockade. If they defend with a dragoon thats 4 str with 50% vs cannon is 6 str.

What it comes down to is this, if the enemy has no stockade then your cannon will win when you attack from sea. If they have stockade you need to get 2 promotions fighting indians first and you will still have the advantage. And if you attack with multiple cannon such as the dutch like to do in multiplayer then you will be unstoppable.

Top Bottom