Things you never build...

I find that I almost never build the Globe Theater. Blame it on the fact that I can't bring myself to switch into Nationalism for a draft unless I happen to be spiritual, I suppose.

It blows me away that some people never build windmills.

When I first get them I only build them in really food-poor cities myself. But after replaceable parts & electricity ... I even start converting some existing mines to them!

When I first get them I only build them in really food-poor cities myself. But after replaceable parts & electricity ... I even start converting some existing mines to them!

I agree, the same goes for Watermills and Workshops, with correct civics and techs they are just plain superb.

It means you can sail a ship through that tile. You know how you can build a city on a 1-tile wide peninsula, and then sail a ship in one side and out the other? Just like that.

marioflag - Do you not build windmills on grass hills? I rarely build anything else on them unless there's a resource there.

Castles: Rarely build them, they are obsolete too easily.

Nuclear plants: I've built them in 2 different games and both times I've had a meltdown, so I never ever build them now.

I have never had a meltdown and it doesnt say how it happens in the civilpedia. How do meltdowns happen? Does it happen when your city becomes unhappy for a while?

Have never built an Ironclad...and for Castles, I usually don't research engineering until after Economics so its already obsolete.

You know something else I almost never build? Temple of Artemis. It just never seems to work out for me. Plus, I can never remember if the trade-route bonus is just for that city or across-the-board for all cities....

...and it was stated on another post that if you let the AI build the Temple of Artemis and send one of your Great Merchants to that city on a trade mission, you get tons more gold.

I *used* to never build walls or castles. But now, there's so many benefits to them, I have to. They really slow down city seiges, and add a nice defense bonus to boot.

1. War Elephants... I never have ivory for some reason...
2. Forgeries... maybe I should though.
3. Airplanes... probably why I do worse towards the end of the game
4. Windmills, watermills, forts
5. Any siege weapons... they wprk so slowly

Building a few knights can be useful to move behind enemy positions and pillage their important resources like horses and iron. Hermitage can be useful to plant next to a civ who is your friend to steal some of his tiles for a cramped city.

monuments. I either have a religion already that's giving my cities a dash of culture, or I got Stonehenge.

BUT seeing that in btw monuments last longer... maybe.

walls and castles i dont build very often although with bts i now consider them. im not usually on the defensive. although i do notice in bts the AI does come at you early in some games so a wall is pretty usefull especially since in my last game sitting bull came at me with a stack of swordsman and axeman and chariots with no catas.

workshops i pretty much never build.

war elephants i usually only build to add some flavor to my army but its usually just on a whim not cause i actually need them.

the most useless thing ever i think is an ironclad. id rather have 2 frigates than 1 of those.

Musketmen and Knights that I seldom build them.
castle, i build some in bts, afterall, it can increase eps by 25%(cant remember)
windmill, hmm, very good improvement now. especially when a city by the river build a levee.

Playing Warlords I dont build :

Stonehenge
Warriors
Charriots
Horsearchers
Knights
Windmills
Watermills
Workshops
Musketmen
Ironglads
Nukes
Nuclear bomb shelters
SDI Defence
Nuclear Powerplants

I love forts in bts, look what they did or me!

Saved me a big trip around the pinnisula. After that i love using forts now. But mainly for canals.

It turned a useless desert tile to a canal that saved a long trip around!

So when you build a fort it creates a canal? I never knew that :) Also if you were fighting a war and there were enemies up north, you can put a defensive garrison in that fort with cannons and fire off shots as the try to go past. By the time they would reach your cities, you could have them weaken down to nothing.

The advatage of the explorer as medic is that he will never be chosen to defend, unless the stack is almost dead anyway. A pikeman-medic could well die to an unlucky dice roll againsts knights or cavalry.

Yet another great idea that I never thought about. :goodjob:

Top Bottom