This game is straight up broken (in MP)

cxeq

Chieftain
I was actually amazed that BNW was able to make Civ 5's multiplayer WORSE! Although previously it was an awesomely fun multiplayer which was completely unplayable with friends due to the disconnection / non-conneciton problems, now it just doesn't work. If you try and start a multiplayer game (host or join, lan or internet) it just crashes to desktop (Civ 5 has stopped working). This started the day I installed BNW, and disabling it doesn't fix anything, nor does a myriad of ideas I have tried.

Great. But sure, Civ is mainly a singleplayer game, right (well, it shouldn't be, but it is forced to be by the netcode). BNW really feels like it completes the game, a lot of awesome stuff is added-- but oh wait, now the singleplayer is unplayable as well.

It's unplayable because of stupid like this happening completely randomly all of a sudden one turn without any reason.

twenty turns later, Portugal has 7k gold, still losing 1k a turn, Russia randomly got 22k, despite only gaining 3 a turn. This game is 100% pure potato right now. This doesn't effect anything, too, despite losing 1000 gold a turn, her armies don't disband, her empire is unchanged, nothing happens. She literally signed research agreements with everyone in this game. 100% potato.

Moderator Action: adjusted the thread title.

Moderator Action: *snip* no need to quote the whole thing.

Nothing like that has happened to me. You have my sympathy

You may want to contact tech support for your issues. I can tell you I have hosted multiplayer games after downloading brave new world, and they have all worked just fine. In addition, I have played on emperor difficulty as every one of the new civs and I have not seen anything that really strikes me as impossible or ridiculous when it comes to the AI's gold. I hope your problems can be fixed, but don't bash this expansion just because something seems to be wrong with your game.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with AI and aggression, as well. I'm playing on king (yeah I'm noob w/e) and there has only been one war that I know of, for 10 turns Russia attacked Sofia. I've discovered 7/12 civs, and it's been 327 turns.

You also have my sympathy... are you using Mac or Windows8? Just curious...

Sounds like a problem with your installation of civ5. If its broken then that would explain why you get mplayer crashes as well.

Did you try a complete reinstall lately?

I've never seen the degree of "computer cheating" you're describing. Sure, I've seen some minor stuff, but never that badly.

this looks like someone has been screwing around with config files in the game..
try a reinstall, if its steam just get it to check your files, if that fails delete and redownload.
the netcode now is much improved over what it used to be.

Maybe Maria got a peace contract and money from someone else? Maybe half the amount of Hiawatha? This is very common in peace contracts.

1000 a turn does not sound very extraordinary, atleast in late game, but -1000 is for sure a bug.

I've played about 40 hours multiplayer with BNW and it works flawless, even better than before.
Check your setup, have you changed anything lately? Maybe new firewall software or anything?

About the screenshot, isn't that the famous "misrepresenting gold"-bug?
It displays different values than the actual values in the game, I blieve.

DEAR MODERATOR:

THE BUGS I GOT WERE IN SINGLEPLAYER but yes the multiplayer is broken too
please actually READ the post, and change my thread title back

Game mechanics explantions for the things you've described as bugs:

1. Marias behaviour. She was generating a lot of income with trade routes multiplied by cities and policies. She had a huge army which she supported with this income (maybe the standing army tax resolution is additionally in play). She got into a war and all her trade routes were destroyed. This caused the major loss in gpt. Such a loss causes only a decrease in science (not causes units to disband). She disbands her units to get her income to positive side. Each disbanded unit gets you temporary gold bonus, so when she disbands 10 units a turn she gets like 500 gold (with still -gpt). She uses this gold the same turn for research agreement. Additionally when signing a peace treaty she might get a gold bonus in return from other AI. If she had a much larger army (which the negative gpt would suggest), then other AI's fear her more and are willing to pay for the peace treaty more - this would explain the 7k gold with -1k gpt you described.

2. Hiawatha has 1k gpt. Such an outcome is a standard for late game, some gold focused nation can get up to 5k gpt.

3. Russia - got 22k got while generating 3 gpt. Similar as Portugal Russia seems to have a huge army which costs in unit mainteinance. She can get gold from signing peace treaties from other weaker nations. If other ones are generating 1k gpt it's nothing that uncommon.

Honestly - I don't see a bug here. The only one might be the game crashing, which I unfortunately experieced many times myself.

Sorry, no. Would you like me to upload the savegame? Perhaps you missed that this was rather early on in a marathon length game.

Hiawatha France
R
Portugal u Byzantium
s
Japan (me) s
i
a

that was what our continent looked like, so obviously I could see everything going on. Maria had three cities (size 3 Braga, size 7 Porto, and size 8 Lisbon) and did not have very many units (less than one defensive unit per city) and I know this because around 10 turns later I decided it was time to conquer her. My aggression upon Maria was the first war in the continent, which is why I talked about how the lack of aggression seemed rather unusual. At the time, only one or two trade routes were available. Russia too, had no army, as I conquered them too (far later though) with little difficulty, after they declared war on me. Research agreements weren't even available because education hadn't been researched. Considering that all this was happening from one turn to another (Hiawatha spent literally all of his 15-18k on buying a massive army and trying to invade me, only to have to disband it halfway through his invasion, because his income dropped to Maria-levels.

Honestly - you can explain these circumstances by creating 'the situation', but it's just not what happened. Right now games are unplayable because of this and the stupid warmongering .

N.B. my game is not crashing unless you click the host game or join game buttons

I've played a few multiplayer games already, no problems (other than the awful community that always quits)

The game itself is not crashing in MP. It only crash, if you use tunngle to play with each other over the fake lan. I had same situation with my friend. I can play just fine, and go to MP as many times as I want without crash, if tunngle is disabled. With tunngle. It crash randomly. And very often. Might be same with any other software for the same purpose.

The game itself is not crashing in MP. It only crash, if you use tunngle to play with each other over the fake lan. I had same situation with my friend. I can play just fine, and go to MP as many times as I want without crash, if tunngle is disabled. With tunngle. It crash randomly. And very often. Might be same with any other software for the same purpose.

I don't have Hamachi, Tunngle or EVOLVE installed.

I was actually amazed that BNW was able to make Civ 5's multiplayer WORSE! Although previously it was an awesomely fun multiplayer which was completely unplayable with friends due to the disconnection / non-conneciton problems, now it just doesn't work. If you try and start a multiplayer game (host or join, lan or internet) it just crashes to desktop (Civ 5 has stopped working). This started the day I installed BNW, and disabling it doesn't fix anything, nor does a myriad of ideas I have tried.

Great. But sure, Civ is mainly a singleplayer game, right (well, it shouldn't be, but it is forced to be by the netcode). BNW really feels like it completes the game, a lot of awesome stuff is added-- but oh wait, now the singleplayer is unplayable as well.

It's unplayable because of stupid like this happening completely randomly all of a sudden one turn without any reason.

twenty turns later, Portugal has 7k gold, still losing 1k a turn, Russia randomly got 22k, despite only gaining 3 a turn. This game is 100% pure potato right now. This doesn't effect anything, too, despite losing 1000 gold a turn, her armies don't disband, her empire is unchanged, nothing happens. She literally signed research agreements with everyone in this game. 100% potato.

Moderator Action: adjusted the thread title.

I am almost certain that GPT on the AI diplomacy window is affected by any lump sum gold they got that turn, which is why it can swing wildly between turns.

There is no cheat regarding AI gold in CIv, except the handicap that they get as the difficulty goes up ie they may get a 10% bonus to gold, or more, again linked to difficulty.

I cannot offer an opinion with regard to MP, but what you have described regarding SP is neither a bug, nor an issue. It is working exactly as the design intends.

As for disbanding armies, there are rules regarding negative GPT. Which if IIRC states it comes off of science first (once it reaches a certain threshold).

BTW Unless you monitor an AI's gpt over the course of several turns you cannot be sure what they are getting as lump sum deals, conquests, peace deals etc, are counted in the gpt, ie get 500gold and you gpt for that turn goes up (According to the diplomacy screen). To test this just sell them something and see how their gpt changes. CAVEAT : This is how it used to be, have not checked for BNW but assume it is the same.

hiawatha spent literally all of his 15-18k on buying a massive army and trying to invade me, only to have to disband it halfway through his invasion, because his income dropped to maria-levels

working as intended!!!

Just wanted to drop a note that you are not alone.

I experienced the same in one game, also with Hiawatha. The difference however was that in our game (small map) his income was more than 8000 gpt.
However I played in Multiplayer with a friend and he checked within the same turn. For him he "only" had like 4000 gpt displayed.
We just thought its a dispay bug.
When the game was ended we also realized that Hiawatha did not show up on any graphs.

Top Bottom