This game should have been tested longer?

Flower

Warlord
What do you think? Do you think that this game should have been tested longer to detect more bugs?

What bugs are there that aren't related to system requirements?

The game mechanics seems very well tested they just should have test more careful on the minimum requirements and legacy graphics cards.

While that probably is true, there is only so many different systems they can test it on (they're limited by the configurations of the beta testers).

Combat (primitive vs. modern units, and city defenders vs. attackers) seems a bit off balance to me, but that may just be a matter of getting used to the Civ4 system. There's also some issues with automated workers, and well, the Civilopedia I feel needs a lot of love. :)

Geat game, though, I'm very much enjoying it.

Some stuff (especially the civilopedia, but possibly some unit balancing) definately could use some improvement with patching. Obviously, technical issues usually get the priority in early patches, but I'm hopeful that some critical needs will be addressed.

Better Flower, I give this one a 2/10 on the troll scale - but this one is unfortunately just as unoriginal as the last. You should read more of the forum before posting.

i noticed a few spelling/capitilization errors,

also there are a few thing that arnt bugs but rather annoyances, when starting a new game when you go over an option it a rollover description for a lot of them, but it only lastss a few seconds, which isnt enough to reead some of longer stuff.

overall it generally lacks the "Polished" feel, but its still a great game so far

Louis XXIV said:
What bugs are there that aren't related to system requirements?

The ATI bug

The memory leaks

The Geforce checkerboard hard lockup

All with systems well in excess of the RECOMENDED system, not even just the minimum. These are just the showstoppers, there are the typical little things.

I have an ATI x700pro/pro, and I have never had any issues with Civ4. It's definitely not all ATI card users that have problems.

Just finished my first game. Didnt notice any bugs, although the mouseover time as noted above is annoying.

I have a 64meg ati laptop video chip. No problems at all.

It doesn't do that for me. In 25 hours of playing the game, I have not had a single crash. I also don't have memory leaks, and I haven't rebooted my machine in three days.

Louis XXIV said:
While that probably is true, there is only so many different systems they can test it on (they're limited by the configurations of the beta testers).

why do people keep saying this? There is a level of abstraction that ANY Operating system provides to developers that allows them to design and implement software that should run on all machines up to a certain generic requirement. If you look at the posts for the problems not many users have the same system specs that are having the same problem, or i should say that the problems aren't only occuring on specific machine types... the SAME problems are happening to very different machines. Now i conceed that there are other factors such as poor driver's etc.. but many games come out and run a lot better then civ4 has. I'M NOT BLAMING the developers... this is take two's doing.

Not trying to pick on you louis, sorry for the tone.

should the game have been tested longer? a week ago people couldn't stand how long this game is taking to come out, and now we want to send em back?

general_kill said:
should the game have been tested longer? a week ago people couldn't stand how long this game is taking to come out, and now we want to send em back?

you mean we can't have our cake and eat it too? damnit

There isn't a single game that is bug free and perfectly ballanced at the moment of release. Thus, every game could use a few extra weeks in development but then we'd never have any releases would we?

Disguise said:
There isn't a single game that is bug free and perfectly ballanced at the moment of release. Thus, every game could use a few extra weeks in development but then we'd never have any releases would we?

There's a big difference between spending "a few extra weeks" on polish, versus fixing serious issues. Regardless, we're not talking about every game, we're talking about this game, and it has some significant issues.

It only has some issues for some players. I could easily pay this for months without missing any patches (okay, the automated workers bug is getting a bit on my nerves), so the problems are conditional.

Top Bottom