Thoughts on new wonders

For thoughts on these, lets assume the game lasts long enough that they could get built before the game ends.

Here's my thoughts:

Master Control - since it's on a supremacy leaf and supremacy gets free rails/roads at level three, you could use all those free maintenance workers to make a complete rail network over every tile you have. It'll be the old days of spaghetti roads all over again!
Also if a city is taken it could hurt your enemy by making them pay for all those rails.

Holon Chamber - I'm a little unclear on this. I assume it means global as in all of your cities not actually global as in the whole world. Also it says income, and I don't know if that means gross income or net income. Either it means true global and net income or colony wide and gross income, because the other possibilities would be either too good and not good enough.

Memetwork - This could make a wider affinity strategy more viable, although it also make the game shorter by getting the win wonders faster.

Markov Eclipse - if you read the civilopedia entry for this it fits perfectly with the back story. Having the wonder's story match the effect makes the world seem more real, which is harder when you don't know the wonder like we do the historical ones. BTDubs, can anyone make sense of why the Pyramids would grant access to advanced governments? That made no historical sense.

Promethean - Fits the back story and is more interesting than a straight health gain. Also since the local health will not have any local unhealth to counter, that will make it all profit, essentially making it global. Your Promethean city can promote growth of other cities. Also, I wonder if this applies to unhealth from manufactories? The unhealth from manufactories is listed as 'from cities' in the list of unhealth sources but that might just be what they wrote back when it wouldn't have made any difference. If it does apply then you would have the choice of going heavy on food to grow without limit, or make a super production city.

Nanothermite - This is exactly what I would have done for this one. Thought of it before but never bothered to look into modding it.

Xenonova - Looks like this will be the wonder for a wide colony. It's a supremacy leaf so it will go well with the free roads build by your Master Control workers.

Resurrection Device - Doesn't seem as good as Xenonova. Would doubling be overpowered? Maybe it would and I just have so much more experience with being cut down by low health and very little with boosts from good health.

These seem pretty good to me, in that they would actually affect how you play your colony.

Forget power; I want the Tectonic Anvil now just for the novelty of it.

Though in the right place, it could make for a solid production city without the unhealthiness of Manufactories.

Memetwork is probably my new favorite wonder. Getting Affinity 13 (and it's always free Affinity 13 for the victory wonders, not just a medium-priced affinity level in the midgame!) for free should translate into around ~2k science. On top of that a huge culture bonus if that really stays as it is right now.

It MAY even be strong enough to allow the player to completely skip academies (including its tech) and instead go directly for Computing (Spy Agency + Network), followed by Arrays + Memetwork + Lasercom Satellites (+rushbuy more stuff, also freeing production to be converted into science) to make up for the lower science.

In theory, yes - but that tech is 2,5k by itself and doesn't really have too much utility otherwise. Well, for Purity there's the mantle, but I think that one is just too slow to really make the investment in hammers worthwhile. But that does of course also depend on the reworked cost of that wonder.

Although... thinking about it... the Building quest is of course a HUGE bonus for Purity, with 7+ flat science per building. May be worthwhile.

...well, if that free tech is even still there after the patch that is. The new bonus is also a unique effect, so i might be replaced instead of being added.

Regards from Zelfaze in the other thread, I felt free to reuse his/her clever presentation; my thoughts in red.

- Xenodrome

New: Provides a small positive influence to alien opinion each turn, and negative alien opinion recovers twice as quickly
Very interesting and unique idea, might come a bit late to have a full effect though.
Old: +4 Energy, +4 Science, 1 free Xeno Sanctuary in production city

- Panopticon

New: Gives +1 unit sight and +5 anti-orbital strike range on city
n/c, was and still is a good wonder.
Old: +1 Culture, +1 sight range for combat units

- Mass Driver

New: Gives +1 city strike range and +25% city strike damage
nice and interesting buff. We will have nightmares to take some capital I forsee :lol:
Old: +5 Range for Anti-Orbital Strike, +25% City strength

- Gene Vault

New: Gives free worker to new cities
I might be the only one thinking its a nerf. We don't know its hammer cost, but usually at the time you can build it, you don't have that much of cities. It's basically 3 or 4 free worker maximum in my games. Btw, are they maintenance free too?
Old: +4 Food, +1 Culture, 10% Food Growth in all cities

- Ectogenesis Pod

New: Gives 1 Food per 4 pop in its city
Nerf for me, but maybe was a bit too powerfull. Don't like that it nerf the superfarm approach :(. + 4 or 5 food in practice seems a bit underwhelming.
Old: +3 Food, +3 Production, +1 Food for all farms

- Quantum Computer

New: Gives free orbital unit maintenance and +50% orbital unit duration
I didn't know orbital unit cost maintenance :lol: Still the orbital system needs some major tweaks imo
Old: +5 Science, 1 free technology

- Drone Sphere

New: Gives +50% speed to worker builds and explorer expeditions
Really nice and powerfull, given how much job the worker do in the game. I'm loving this.
Old: +2 Science, +10 Healing for all combat units in friendly territory, Provides 1 free Surveillance Web in production city

- Cynosure

New: Gain +1 Science for every 3 population in its city
Looks really really weak for me. Flat 8 or 9 science max, with only a few %science modif in the game? Come on...
Old: +7 Science, Combat Unit max-veterancy +1 slot

- Ansible

New: Affinity XP is gained 25% faster
Very very nice, can combo with the might virtue that
Old: +4 Energy, +4 Science, Provides 1 free Feedsite Hub in the production city

- Stellar Codex

New: +8 Orbital Coverage range
"orbital" in the text -> junk by nature :(
Old: +3 Science, +10% Production towards Orbital units, +4 range for Orbital Coverage

- Master Control

New: Free Maintenance and +1 Movement for Workers
Again, given the importance of workers, it's for me the best wonder, period. Will save a lot of time & money. I hope it's not only for current workers but also apply to the new one. Didn't checked the tech needed though.
Old: +1 Culture, +1 Movement for Workers, 1 free Network in production city

- Precog Project

New: Military Units can achieve two additional levels of Veterancy
Cute but I want interesting upgrades first! :mad:
Old: +2 Culture, +2 Health, +15% Combat Strength in friendly tiles

- Human Hive

New: City immune to Covert Operations
Bad because spying is not fixed for me.
Old: +3 Production, Maximum Covert Ops Intrigue for production city decreased by 4

- Holon Chamber

New: Gain Science equivalent to 10% of global Energy income each turn
Very nice and can maybe lead to some energy focus strategy.
Old: +3 Science, +4 Energy

- Archimedes Lever

New: Any hostile unit within 2 tiles of the city suffers 10 attrition damage per turn
Funny, added to the arsenal of the megadeath city!
Old: +4 Production, +1 Culture, +50 City Defense

- Memetwork

New: All Affinity Level requirements for buildings, units, and wonders reduced by 1
Very interesting and powerfull.
Old: +4 Culture, +2 Health, +20% Culture in City

- New Terran Myth

New: +2 Culture from Trade Routes
Trade roads needed a buff? :lol: I still lol at the old one "+4 culture" I don't know what they were smoking really.
Old: +4 Culture

- Markov Eclipse

New: Military Units attack at full strength even when damaged

Old: +4 Science, +1 Culture, Combat Unit experience +50%

- Promethean

New: City no longer produces Unhealth
Nice, favour a tall city that you can't grow because of the new food mechanism :crazyeye:
Old: +2 Culture, +4 Health, Free Virtue

- Nanothermite

New: All air, ranged, and city bombard attacks 25% stronger
Wait, it is global or 1 city only? +25% dmg for all range attacks seems very good :eek:
Old: +4 Energy, +30 City Defence

- Xenomalleum

New: +5 Titanium, Petroleum, and Geothermal resource
Oh god no: NERFING THE GENERATORS. Come on, those parabolas need some love.
Old: +7 Energy, +2 Energy for all Generators

- Xenonova

New: Penalties due to Unhealth reduced by 50%
Love this one, can lead to the strategy of not giving a dam about unhappiness, for domination only obviously
Old: +7 Food, +2 Health

- Bytegeist

New: All Virtue Tier synergy bonuses require one less point to complete
Interesting, have to see what it does in practice.
Old: +2 Science, +4 Culture, -15% Culture cost for Virtues

- Armasail

New: City suffers 50% less damage from ranged attacks
Added to the megadeath city arsenal :goodjob:
Old: +4 Production, +100 City HP

- Deep Memory

New: +1 Culture for every 3 Population in every City
Hmmm, bit of a nerf, no me gusta.
Old: +7 Culture, 2 Free Virtues

- Tectonic Anvil

New: +5 Production from Canyons
Very nice, make use of those tiles is pretty well thought
Old: +9 Production

- Crawler

New: +25% Production for buildings and wonders
What a buff: coupled with the 25% from the industry virtue, that's 50% discount(?) off any building not in capital :eek:
Old: +1 Culture, +25% Production for wonders

- Daedelus Ladder

New: All City Yields +10%
Compare the old and the new one. Laught :lol:. Nice and balanced in my books.
Old: +2 Food, +3 Health

- Resurrection Device

New: Benefits from positive Health effects increased by 50%
Mehh, I prefer the unhappiness version of it. Excessive health is not worth it imho.
Old: +8 Health

Cheers.

4N4

What a buff: coupled with the 25% from the industry virtue, that's 50% discount(?) off any building not in capital. Cheers.

4N4

+50% production is not the same as -50% cost. It would be -33% cost.

(Quoting this post is funky.)

Regarding a free worker/city:

Obviously it depends on the kind of map you play, but there's not just the issue of production cost, there's also travel time. What excites me is that with this wonder, when I plop a city down, I don't have to worry about shepherding a worker over to the city. Doubly so if it's across an ocean. It's not just the free production, it's that, in the right circumstances, it lessens the gap between building a worker for the city and the worker being able to improve the tiles around the city.

Regarding a free worker/city:

Obviously it depends on the kind of map you play, but there's not just the issue of production cost, there's also travel time. What excites me is that with this wonder, when I plop a city down, I don't have to worry about shepherding a worker over to the city. Doubly so if it's across an ocean. It's not just the free production, it's that, in the right circumstances, it lessens the gap between building a worker for the city and the worker being able to improve the tiles around the city.

I though it was only a 1 time free worker, à la CiV pyramids.
If it's a new worker each time a new city is planted, it's better.

Still, at the end of the early game, I find worker hammer cost negligible and hardly an issue.

It really depends a lot on how much they decrease wonder building costs, especially since the gene vault is already very inexpensive. Which is why I think all this speculation is just that... speculation. I'll be interested in a pre-post-patch wonder analysis once we actually have both, exact numbers and gameplay experience.

I though it was only a 1 time free worker, à la CiV pyramids.
If it's a new worker each time a new city is planted, it's better.

Still, at the end of the early game, I find worker hammer cost negligible and hardly an issue.

The notes definitely specify new cities get workers. I think the wonder is in the right place -- it's likely going to be situational rather than a no-brainer or a no-builder.

The question is how much of the old wonder stats will be kept. If the Gene Vault keeps some of its stats it will still be good, if it is "just" a free worker it becomes situational.

I'm not sure but is Gene Vault supposed to spawn workers for captured cities? Or is this another example of Civ V's shoddy programming at work?

Either way I like it better getting free workers for capturing cities. Means it will stolen have value later in the game and you won't just judge its value on the early game. A free worker for a far away puppet city saves a lot of time.

Promethean, Memetwork, Master control, and Precog project have been regulars for me lately.

Some of the wonders seem completely awful though.

Master Control, Promethean are a must for me post patch.
The rests are optional. Ressurection Device is nice to have.

Promethean, Memetwork, Master control, and Precog project have been regulars for me lately.

Some of the wonders seem completely awful though.

Same here. I also like to go for the Drone Sphere, mainly if I'm Supremacy, since it has good synergy with the free roads + having lots of free workers with Master Control to get tons of magrails down really fast. Markov Eclipse is also nice to get if I've got a really high production city (Promethean + factories) to finish it in a reasonable time.

I love the Gene Vault! I once had this city in really hostile territory during my first Vostok game... It used to belong to the ARC but I captured it... free worker. Then the African Union stole it from me. I took it back. Free worker. The game prompted me to do something with the city... somehow I couldn't just take the city for myself despite the fact I had captured it, it was mine and had been for 100 years.
So I had to give it back to the ARC (Maybe I didn't read the description properly. You'd think "Keep City" would be #1 option not "Give city back to the guys you're at war with!") and then I took it back the same turn...
Free worker.

There was also this one time in another game I took a Brasilian city with high-powered troops, only to lose it (and my expensive battle suit!) the next turn, then take it back with another battlesuit... etc. This went on for 5 turns and by the time I had it secured, I had enough workers to "fix" up Bolivar's territory.

I tend to rush for Gene Vault and Master Control because both are very useful. Although I tend to get too many workers and not enough jobs...

It's mostly better now...

Top Bottom