Thoughts

Razvan_Rosu

Chieftain
Hello!

The only level for a good game is Deity.
Egipt is the best civilization.
Peace is the best tactics.
War is necesary only when you have a great army.
Conquering is not a most.

Who have other opinion?

All levels can give a good game
The Russians are the best civilisation, the Aztecs the most fun.
Peace is the easiest tactic.
War is only necessary when you are losing, but can be fun anytime.
Conquering is a must if you are the Aztecs

All levels are fun
All civ are great (if you now how to play them)
A combine of war and building is the best tactic
War is fun even against an larger enemy
Conquring is a must hmm... depends on the way you want to win :)

every level is fun
most civs are good
peace sells, but who's buying??
I never met a war I didn't like

So there... :p

Maybe you are right, and every civilization has his advantages.
But on deity level, I belive that Egypt has many advantages.
They are industious and religious, temples are easy to build,
workers work more fast.
But on this level, a war at the begining it's a big risk.
AI builds faster that you can destroy.
So you must first build a solid base, in peace with everybody, and only in the end to go to war.
Why do you think that Russians are so great?
Germans are too...

Thank you for your reply,

Yours
Razvan

These days the game is very balanced. Some civilizations are more suited to some players, some to others. The game can be played with many different styles, from the bloodthirsty warmonger to the builder.

A good player can win in many different situations: from a cramped scenario, where land is at a premium, and war is almost certainly necessary to win, to a wide open scenario where building is the way to go.

A good player can also win with any civilization, taking advantage of each civilization's traits. If you find yourself playing the same civilization over and over, try playing a random civilization, see which one falls to you, and play with its strengths, learning something new.

For that matter, a good player can also win without any specific Great Wonder; some styles of play rely on acquiring certain Wonders, the Pyramids and the Great Library being the most popular. A good player has a balanced style of play which doesn't require these. If you find yourself 'needing' a certain Wonder, try playing a game without getting it, and see how you do.

Civilization is a balanced and interesting game, deep in its levels of strategy and complexity. To say that a single civilization is 'the best' is too simplistic in my view.

As for Deity being the 'only' level to play, well, different people have different levels of experience with the game. Some players do not have the time and/or compulsion to learn to play on Deity level; if they enjoy playing on an easier level, then the better for them.

Playing on the hardest level does take a certain amount of micro-management. Many do not have the time of patience for this. One should play at whichever level provides challenge and enjoyment for them.

-Sirp.

Thank you for your reply, Sirp.
I think you are right.
But I think also that war is not a necesity, and I try to avoid it.
Of course, when I'm attacked, I strike back.
But I try to not start wars, because sometimes, the wars can come against you.
You can start a wind, but you can receive a storm.
If you have a good defensive system, it's OK, but if you don't...
One more question... I saw that your level is PRINCE
How can I get an upper level?

Best regards,
Razvan

All levels can be fun, or they can be boring. It depends on your skill.

All the civs are fun to play with, some are easier than others.

Peace can be difficult, war can be harder.

War is possible with almost no army. (Even on Deity)

Conquering is just one option of many. (We agree :) )

One-liners say so much, yet they say so little... ;)

All lvl's are fun
I love persia though other's are good 2
peace isn't hard, though i like Space race
if u settle in a big circle leaving the space in the circle to urself conquering is not a must

Sure, war isn't a necessity; peace isn't a necessity either. Just try an Always War game for a change! If you're not familiar with that is, it's a variant (a 'variant' is a game where you voluntarily impose extra rules on yourself), where you're an arrogant and aggressive leader who simply declares war on everyone as soon as he meets them, and never makes peace, ever.

It's a very enjoyable change from the normal way of play. Also, doing it on Deity is just about impossible. I'd recommend Monarch or Emperor.

This forum gives people a higher ranking as they make more posts...or somethin. *shrug*.

-Sirp.

I must confess that first a warior. I made wars with everybody.
But after 8 years of wars with CIV I and II, I thought that peace
can be also an option.

Regarding my first mail.
That mail wasn't necesary true.
But it was a provocasion.
I thought that this was a way to make somebody replies.
And it was.

Razvan

Razvan_Rosu

Here is why I like the Russians

At higher levels and in the OCC I find it hard to keep up with techs - a Scientific Civ helps.

Expansionist gives an early tech lead, early contact with other civs for trading, a great map for trading and knowledge about resource distribution and other civs.

Their UU the Cossack is a good unit that comes at the right time for a GA, it is also useful for an extremely long time

They start with pottery and this enables me to build one of my favorate initial 2 city improvements - grainaries (the other is temples).

They have cheap libraries and universities. All my cities even totally corrupt ones will have a library and temple to extend culture borders.
Libraries are better than temples for extending culture borders as libraries give 3 culture points, temples 2.

Currently I have been playing a lot of OCC with the Russians and what I like about the OCC is that you have a very quick game.
(What I hate about the domination victory is how long it takes).

However I think its time I worked on my war skills so I am going to start playing militaristic civs more often.

War is fun. But not always the best thing to do.

When I quit this is what I do: save the game and attack and just see what happens for some turns. Then I end civ III.

Civ is a fun game. period. forget about the levels
Carthagians rule
who carees about peace?? KILL 'EM ALL. LET GOD SORT 'EM OUT. :ar15:
Computer can't build army to beat the crap out of you if you own all his cities
War is more demanding and requires more though than making ure all your cities own hospitals
Conquering just show's how great you are!!:die:

Well, but if you conquer so many ciies, how could you manage coruption, waste and revolts?
Or you just conquer and raze cities?
KKND? (crash, kill & destroy)

Conquering just show that you have a strong army, developing makes you great.

Taxi Driver,

I agree, China is one of the best for warmongering IMO, if not the best. :D

Military and Indusrious, move 3 riders, armies with blitz with move 3 units very early in the game...

I've never had a serious go at a level past Monarch for the simple reason that I feel you have to play the 'numbers' to get good results at higher levels and a lot of the things I like to achieve in a game are more esoteric than effective in the raw mathematical sense.

And the whole concept of 'milking' makes me sick :vomit:

Rant over; gotta agree the Egyptians are a powerhouse.Good thing the War Chariot isn't a Knight replacement or I'd never play any other race!

I have also found the OCC variant to be quite enjoyable of late. I would argue, however, that the Ottomans are a better choice than the Russians. They share the scientific trait, so obviously that is a wash, but in OCC, you really don't need good maps. What do you care where everyone else is or what their land looks like? It's not like you're ever going to be taking it over. On another note, I have definitely started to see the religious trait as very overrated, especially on Deity. I usually go from Despotism to Republic, and sometimes end up in Democracy if the opportunity to revolt presents itself (if many other Civs are in anarchy), but usually only have one revolution, so that aspect of religious goes to waste. While temples are cheap, it is impossible to keep up in culture, so there usually is no need to built temples for a while. IMO Industrious, Commercial, and Militaristic (to steal wonders via leader) are more valuable, along with scientific (for the slingshot).

Top Bottom