Three City Immortal Culture Win...

TheMeInTeam

If A implies B...
So I was playing around on quick game speed to test a few things. One of the things I read a while back in HoF discussion is how quick speed (and marathon) affect strategies. 3 city culture was mentioned.

While usually a GA work is 4000 culture out of 50000 needed for legendary, at quick speed it is 2680 culture out of 25000 ---> the GPP scales 2/3, but the culture of course scales 1/2.

This prompted me to try dual-abuses (with Washington, who is balanced but not especially great for culture):

1. Only build 3 cities ever.
2. Kowtow off the resulting monster AI that will inevitably wind up next to me

The result?

Nobody was even close to other victory conditions. On a map with terrible warmongers and so forth, I never saw action because I was in a DP with darius, who was stupidly stronger than everyone because of the # of cities he cheaply settled w/o effort. I flipped 2 of his cities but gave them back as they were not helping.

Here's the 3 legendary cities...and only cities in the US empire:

As you can see, base culture buildings and multipliers were scarce. The trick in his case was the GA bombs, which are functionally much stronger. Having only gotten 9 though, I suspect this garbage might work on other speeds too if you can get more artists.

By the way, the 9 artists were my #1 build :rolleyes:. Yes, I produced more of a great person than any one other kind of unit. Smooth.

Lib was won ~840 or so AD using a couple GS bulbs, took nationalism (for hermitage). I then teched out music/drama and up went culture. I never even got printing press.

So there you go. Quick is good for *something*, sort of. This is one of the few immortal wins I've had where I didn't get augustus caesar...instead getting just over 10K. Which is multiple times the best AI score since they LOST :lol:.

Let's see :

- 36 minutes game.
- Practically non existent hammers production.
- No Sistine
- Almost no wonder at all except for Hermitage.
- Only 2 religions
- You even win liberalism...
- And stay out of trouble even at the bottom of the power scale

Good job breaking every rule in the book and winning with bare-bone cities. I guess artists in civ are just like real life artists, nothing better than starvation to get them going. :goodjob:

Damn... would've never guessed that was possible :lol: Especially lol'd at GAs being your top-produced unit!

I do wonder, however, how long it will be until a fleet of destroyers and transports full of cannons/infantry show up on your doorstep :p I suppose the AI is not so quick to deploy amphib assaults on.. um... quick speed?

Damn... would've never guessed that was possible :lol: Especially lol'd at GAs being your top-produced unit!

I do wonder, however, how long it will be until a fleet of destroyers and transports full of cannons/infantry show up on your doorstep :p I suppose the AI is not so quick to deploy amphib assaults on.. um... quick speed?

That and darius had RIDICULOUS amounts of power and a tech lead. He had enough power that the AIs were deterred I think. I'm not sure because my espionage was so poor (no courthouses even), but a quick glance at his score and tallying his city count makes it more likely.

Oh, and I didn't even meet shaka or gilgamesh until about 20-30 turns out :lol:.

3 cities is quite impressive.

I usually play quick for culture.

But you really made it easy on yourself choosing America ;) Check out this failed attempt to win by conquest in a gauntlet, magic longbows appeared as soon as I was about to attack someone, and when I got liberalism I thought I could win by culture:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?show=general&dsply=0&entryID=17050

Only 2 submissions to the HoF with Boudica for culture ;)

No wonders for me either.

The only thing I think it might be not possible in Civ IV is win without cities and even in there I'm not sure, given that every claim of something being impossible in this game made so far was proven wrong ;)

That does not make this less impressive ... not that having that stupid persian peacenik as neighbour didn't helped :p I surely doubt you could pull this out so easily with Shaka as neighbour and in a speed with far more warchecks :D

The only thing I think it might be not possible in Civ IV is win without cities and even in there I'm not sure, given that every claim of something being impossible in this game made so far was proven wrong ;)

I know you could win in Civ3 with no cities. If you made a map with nothing but mountains and hit end turn all your AI opponents would disband their starting settler and be eliminated resulting in the player winning. Your normalized score was also quite high because you won on turn 2.

I know you could win in Civ3 with no cities. If you made a map with nothing but mountains and hit end turn all your AI opponents would disband their starting settler and be eliminated resulting in the player winning. Your normalized score was also quite high because you won on turn 2.
Now that i think on it... that would most likely work in Civ IV as well ( needs testing ) :cry:

Now that i think on it... that would most likely work in Civ IV as well ( needs testing ) :cry:

Seems the AI is now willing to stick it out on the mountaintops as long as you are. Also, if you pick a duel map vs gandhi and kill him w/o settling you don't win until you settle your first city.

That does not make this less impressive ... not that having that stupid persian peacenik as neighbour didn't helped :p I surely doubt you could pull this out so easily with Shaka as neighbour and in a speed with far more warchecks :D

You knowingly pick my most hated AI :p.

Yes, Shaka as a lone neighbor would make 3 city culture (or any culture without beating him down) extremely difficult, and probably impossible on high levels.

Top Bottom