TLC Mercantile (Experimental)

Doh! I figured out what caused the strange out of sync tech issue. I accidentally used a .bic I altered in the editor instead of your new one. Don't ask me how I did that :) I had a whole collection of BIQs in my folder I was toying around with on the editor. My editing has caused more trouble than it's worth. I deleted them all now. I restarted using your new one. I see there are princesses in the capitols. I've never played a game with that option. Is that like capture the flag or something?

P.S. I apologize for being such a lousy game tester.

Last edited:
One thing I did before I deleted all those edited BIQs I had was to look at the settings and even though the tech order was messed up on the one I used by mistake it looks like the enslave settings were the same. The enslave setting for crusaders are set to militia on this new BIQ and also on the wrong one I used.

P.S. I apologize for being such a lousy game tester.
Anyone patient enough to keep playing this mod needs a knighthood in life and deification in death.
I’ve delayed releasing the game so many times that I expected everyone to think it’s never going to be completed.

If you download a new .biq, quickly scroll through the stuff in the Civilopedia to check for missing graphics. If you get a missing file crash you’ll need to re-download the main folder.

I see there are princesses in the capitols. I've never played a game with that option. Is that like capture the flag or something?
The TLC .biq (as opposed to TLC Mercantile) is the solo player version and has many of the original short game modes restored. Anything selected in a previous game will be automatically selected in a new one; that’s why you have a princess (capture the flag unit).

The enslave setting for crusaders are set to militia on this new BIQ and also on the wrong one I used.
The nationless units are supposed to enslave to their nearest predecessor.
I did have them upgrade to their own class but they spread like a plague when the encountered a vastly inferior civilisation.

I'm starting to get crashes again when I click to upgrade units. I notice that sometimes it will go away when I just click next turn and try on the next turn. And sometimes if that doesn't work it will stop happening when I wait for the tech I'm working on to complete it will work without crashing again.

No...the closest thing to that name is Xiphos Man in Warrior Code. I hate to start all over again but maybe I should try uninstalling the mod and reinstalling it.

OK...There is no Xenoi in Republic or Military Organization. I'll just uninstall everything and do it over again. Is it the main folder from post 1 then the patch and BIQ from post 457?

I tend to post an updated .biq in the thread for the readers’ convenience and replace the one on post 1. Anything in the thread is usually out-dated within a few days. Post 1 will always have the latest edition.

Download: Master Folder
Download: TLC.biq

If you’ve already re-downloaded the Main folder from post 1, you just need the .biq.

OK...got it. Started a new game. Everything looks right now. I'll let you know if I run into anything unusual again.

I'm up to Feudalism and Banking now. No crashes which is good but it looks like map trading has been removed and the splash screen is pink when I build wonders.

Edit: Map trading just appeared as an option now but I don't see it listed as an ability on the tech tree so I still don't know what tech unlocked it.

Last edited:
Map trading was moved to Astronomy because no one bothered to explore the map in the ancient era.

The Wonder Splash screen was supposed to be transparent, showing the city above the caption. I think I’ll restore the original screen.

You’ve advanced quickly; you must have a good computer.
I hope you’re enjoying it.

Enjoying the game so far. I have a lot of time on my hands these days to sit at the computer. Due to a disability I no longer have a busy work schedule and most of my days are free. My computer was top of the line when I first bought it. An HP Pavilion with a 6 core processor and souped up graphics. I originally bought it to handle flight sims like Rise of Flight and IL2.

Last edited:
Due to a disability I no longer have a busy work schedule and most of my days are free.
That sucks. It doesn’t sound temporary. I wish you good luck where you can get it.
On the positive side; I can release those game testers I have chained to the computer.
An HP Pavilion with a 6 core processor and souped up graphics.
You’d compliment my computer by calling it a ‘brick’.

Progress report: I've researched up to industrialization and everything has gone smoothly. I did have one crash a while back when trying to upgrade a unit but it must have just been a random crash since it hasn't repeated.

Last edited:
I’ve also had a crash but I was able to load an auto save and continue without any problems so far.

There are a number of destroyed settlements in two areas of the map. The game seems to be fine, otherwise.

This is a Link to the program I told you about. It’s not complete yet but here are some of the things we should be able to do.

For this mod
  • You can completely reinvent a nation
  • Difficulty settings can be adjusted so the game Is easier at the start and gets harder. (Really important)
  • Barbarian units can evolve into modern paramilitary groups.
  • You can update all of the game’s graphics.
  • You can change all of the terrain stats and resource bonuses.
  • You can modernise some building, rather than making them obsolete.
For scenarios
  • You can have seasonal changes to terrain and production values. You can have an alternating upgrade chain that refits your units for winter conditions and back to summer stats and graphics as the seasons change.
  • There’s even a way to place dormant units. They would remain out-of-play until you progressed to the next .biq. it could be used to simulate a coordinated assault be the AI or used to provide the player with reinforcements.

I don't get how this works. Is it like a save game editor or a program that runs while you are playing?

You begin a game using that mod’s starting .biq. During the game, you will be prompted to update the .biq. You need to load a copy of your saved game in the editor, update to the next .biq, save the .sav and place it back into the ‘Saves’ folder.

The game will operate with the new rules taken from an altered copy of the starting .biq.

You can’t add or delete anything but you can change its stats.

Top Bottom