TLC Mercantile (Experimental)

I’m on turn 956. I’ve just entered the modern age and I’ve killed 41,161 units so far. This next century is going to be a bloody one.

I’ve haven’t tested as far as the modern age on a 360x360 map for over a year so I have some comments. The waiting time is freaking awful but that could be down to my computer; which feels like Deep Thought’s granddad. On the other hand, I’ve not played a solo game of Civ before now and enjoyed it as much as this one.

There’s still a tonne of work to make the mod look professional but I’m very happy with 99% of it.

Last edited:
I’ve added very clear cautions to the Map Settings page saying that the Pangaea and Continental settings aren’t appropriate for the mod.
Spoiler :
upload_2019-1-24_1-31-13.png

The Archipelago section (specifically for this mod) accommodates for all three game styles. Anyone who likes Pangaea maps just needs to set the water to 60%.
I’ve added screenshot graphics to the Map Settings page so that players will know what the results will be.
Spoiler :
upload_2019-1-24_1-35-44.png
See, you could lose a small moon on that landmass.

The Pangaea and Continental options aren’t disabled but you’re asking for an torturous workload if you ignore the advice.

upload_2019-1-24_2-26-31.png

The island to the left is 64x98 tiles; about 117 tiles between its furthest coastlines. That’s about the size of a Pangaea island on a large map on an unmodified game.

Last edited:
I kept getting complaints that the maps are too big, then I find out that they’re playing Pangaea settings.

No one is expected to conquer the whole planet. You are supposed to become a leading nation – or the most powerful one – with a diverse set of competitors

It’s 2019 and we still have 195 independent nations; and the list of autonomous and semi-autonomous regions isn’t small either.

Last edited:
I kept getting complaints that the maps are too big, then I find out that they’re playing Pangaea settings.

No one is expected to conquer the whole planet. You are supposed to become a leading nation – or the most powerful one – with a diverse set of competitors

It’s 2019 and we still have 195 independent nations; and the list of autonomous and semi-autonomous regions isn’t small either.

I like large maps but I set it to Archipelago with 80% water. It seems to be the best setting for this mod for me. I wish the map generator would make more uninhabited islands to discover though.

Last edited:
Hi Glutius Max. We’ve not spoken in a while; I hope you’re doing well.
I like large maps but I set it to Archipelago with 80% water. It seems to be the best setting for this mod for me.
I totally agree, except I go for the largest maps (mostly for testing purposes).
I wish the map generator would make more uninhabited islands to discover though.
You can get even better results if you edit your own maps.
The editor has a habit of deleting custom player data because it doesn’t have a map, so there’s a trick.
  • Load the editor
  • Load any game that has both a map and custom player data
  • Finally, load TLC Mercantile to edit
Use the Archipelago settings with 80% water (as you said) and move some player starting locations around. Often, they start in quite poor locations anyway, so you’re probably doing them a favour.
I like to throw in a few tiny tropical islands to make things interesting later in the game.

Hi Glutius Max. We’ve not spoken in a while; I hope you’re doing well.
I totally agree, except I go for the largest maps (mostly for testing purposes).You can get even better results if you edit your own maps.
The editor has a habit of deleting custom player data because it doesn’t have a map, so there’s a trick.
  • Load the editor
  • Load any game that has both a map and custom player data
  • Finally, load TLC Mercantile to edit
Use the Archipelago settings with 80% water (as you said) and move some player starting locations around. Often, they start in quite poor locations anyway, so you’re probably doing them a favour.
I like to throw in a few tiny tropical islands to make things interesting later in the game.

Good to know...the only problem with that is that I will already know where everything is instead of discovering as I go along which is part of the fun for me.

1. Open the TLC.biq as normal
  2. Save it as something obvious like New Map.biq (even without a map)
  3. Open the TLC.biq again
  4. Create a map (even if it’s not the one you want) and save over the New Map.biq
If the scenario properties says that there are 31 players it worked.
You should be able to do what you what with the map now.
Don’t look up any of the other menus using that editor or you’ll lose data.

I haven’t played Civ3 for a long time, there are changes in your mod that I really like and changes that don’t like. I am glad that you are still working on the mod.

I use a translator and he often translates wrong, but I will try to describe what I don’t like in short.
either I will write in my own language and you will use your translator

I was disappointed that there were no migrants, most of my cities are in the desert and the inhabitants of these cities are constantly dying, I thought that when I built the hospitals it would stop but this did not happen.
also the pollution of the very beginning of the game, and at the end of studying all the technologies one cannot get rid of them, the problem did not stand so badly if there were no gangsters (without nationality) I have to manage the workers themselves and accompany them with guards....I would like, for example, there is an army where you can place several units. There was also a construction team where you can place a military unit and builders.
the population also began to consume a lot of food (as it seems to me) if the city builds mines in a city it will be small (I place 1 or 2 mines no more)
I would like a mod for single player and multiplayer games, as I wanted branded products to be realized by other means (for example, trading places outside the city owned by independent merchants where you can sell goods) the second way of using goods is dispensing in the main city for the happiness of citizens

I was disappointed that there were no migrants
I could replace the Draft feature for Forced Relocation if enough people support the idea.
most of my cities are in the desert and the inhabitants of these cities are constantly dying, I thought that when I built the hospitals it would stop but this did not happen.
If your population keeps dying from disease, that is currently unavoidable without disabling the feature entirely. When Quintillus’ Program is finished, the deserts and terrain types that harm units will have that feature disabled for the industrial and modern eras.
I’ll temporarily remove that feature until Quintillus’ program is finished.
also the pollution of the very beginning of the game, and at the end of studying all the technologies one cannot get rid of them, the problem did not stand so badly if there were no gangsters (without nationality) I have to manage the workers themselves and accompany them with guards
The pollution can be controlled by minimising your industry.
If you think that the problem is too annoying i will try to reduce it for future games.
I would like, for example, there is an army where you can place several units. There was also a construction team where you can place a military unit and builders.
Are you saying that you can’t access army units? There should be several at different stages of the game. Infantry units and infantry army units can clear pollution too. My garrison are usually the fastest units to clear the pollution.
the population also began to consume a lot of food (as it seems to me) if the city builds mines in a city it will be small (I place 1 or 2 mines no more)
Mining in deserts and plains terrains can be a bad move if you don’t have any bonus resources to boost your food. Those terrain types get a free shield to counteract the limited use of mines. Grassland and tundra don’t start with any free shields so are more dependent on mining.
I would like a mod for single player and multiplayer games, as I wanted branded products to be realized by other means
The merchandise units will only work for human players. The AI doesn’t know how to use them.
(for example, trading places outside the city owned by independent merchants where you can sell goods) the second way of using goods is dispensing in the main city for the happiness of citizens
I didn’t fully understand what you said here.

Are you saying that you can’t access army units? There should be several at different stages of the game. Infantry units and infantry army units can clear pollution too. My garrison are usually the fastest units to clear the pollution.

there is a game (Battle, brigade, battalion) I would like to have a team of builders (if you can have one military unit for protection), this is very important for the protection and control of builders

I didn’t fully understand what you said here.[/QUOTE]

I meant to use the branded goods to unpack in the main city for temporary happiness of the citizens of the empire

there is a game (Battle, brigade, battalion) I would like to have a team of builders (if you can have one military unit for protection), this is very important for the protection and control of builders
Grouping workers into a single unit (army unit) doesn’t have any effect on its productivity.
One of the main features is that nationless units constantly harass your boarders.

I meant to use the branded goods to unpack in the main city for temporary happiness of the citizens of the empire
The merchandise units can’t be used to make any citizens happy. That would be nice but the game doesn’t work that way. They can only provide gold.

I’m not going to make it part of the main game but I could make a special .biq for you where the merchandise units can be taken to your capital city to receive some gold and also remove the nationless units so they won’t kill your workers.

I’m not going to make it part of the main game but I could make a special .biq for you where the merchandise units can be taken to your capital city to receive some gold....
I agree
nationless units
let them be, I use them myself seizing resources outside the borders of the countries, I also do sabotage on enemy territories with whom there is no war yet
also for my big opportunity to build an openpit on the resource itself since I have some resources not in the city limits but near ..... if this is possible
thank you so much

Last edited:
Top Bottom