[R&F] Trade routes and diplomatic visibility

beorn

Prince
Does anyone know for certain whether you gain added diplomatic knowledge/military advantage by starting a trade route, or by completing it such that you have created a trading post?

I ask because my reading of Genghis Khan Ortoo would strongly imply that it is normally when you complete the route and create a trading post -- that is why he is gaining an advantage by getting the boost immediately.

But in-game, it seems to me that I am seeing this advantage as soon as I begin the trade route.

Here's a table showing all sources of diplomatic visibility.

upload_2018-3-4_14-30-29.png

You get +1 diplo visibility each from:
  • The Printing tech
  • Having a trade route
  • Having a trading post (for most civs this means completing a route, for Ghengis it means starting one)
  • Sending a delegate
  • Being allies
  • Sending a spy on the Listening Post mission
  • Expending the great person Mary Katherine Goddard
  • Having the Flying Squadron trait (i.e. being Cathy de Medici)

Kind of hilarious, but Mary Katherine Goddard in the hands of Genghis Khan is a weaponized threat! LOL.

Thanks. That explains what I have been seeing. It also means, if I understand correctly, that "having a trade route" is pointless for gaining military advantage, since the trade route is cancelled as soon as war is declared. So for military purposes, trade produces the trading post.

Thanks. That explains what I have been seeing. It also means, if I understand correctly, that "having a trade route" is pointless for gaining military advantage, since the trade route is cancelled as soon as war is declared. So for military purposes, trade produces the trading post.

I haven't studied it too closely, but basically Mongolia gets x2 the normal Visibility from a Trading Post, probably precisely because you lose the Trader unit when war starts. The Trading Post bonus is strong too; I believe since Mongolia mentions getting +3 combat bonus from visibility, that this means ON TOP OF the +3 normal civs get, so the total comes out to 3 x 2 x 2, or +12. If so, this is actually outrageously strong and very difficult for other civs to match via Visibility from Trade units (they can get +3 from having a Trading Post, but only at the end of the Trader's cycle).

Yes 12 is what I am seeing for the Mongols.

Has anyone tested what happens with different sources if visibility once you declare a war.
I've played a mongol game and it ranged from 0 to 12.

So, if I send a delegation and then declare war do I keep the bonus visibility?
Also, it seems if you have a trading post in city A - if you then capture the city your visibility with that civ seems to go down as well?
But if you have two trading posts in two cities - it seems to increase?

Here's a table showing all sources of diplomatic visibility.

View attachment 490282

You get +1 diplo visibility each from:
  • The Printing tech
  • Having a trade route
  • Having a trading post (for most civs this means completing a route, for Ghengis it means starting one)
  • Sending a delegate
  • Being allies
  • Sending a spy on the Listening Post mission
  • Expending the great person Mary Katherine Goddard
  • Having the Flying Squadron trait (i.e. being Cathy de Medici)

Kind of hilarious, but Mary Katherine Goddard in the hands of Genghis Khan is a weaponized threat! LOL.

The trade post +1 only works for Mongolia, for other civs no.

Top Bottom