[Col] Treasure Fleet - 4X strategy game set in the Age of Discovery

DragosP

Chieftain
1694935443895.png

Hello everybody !

I want to announce that a project of mine that started as a hobby, a game I have been working on for a long time, is nearly finished.
The game is a single player, isometric, turn based strategy, set in the Age of Discovery.
It is currently in beta testing, as most of the game mechanics have been finished. Game now released!

Here is a presentation movie, and you can visit the game's pages below to try it out and find some more details & screenshots.

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1120280/Treasure_Fleet/ (most up to date version)
Itch: https://dragospusca.itch.io/treasure-fleet
GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/treasurefleet/415877
Old Homepage: https://web.archive.org/web/20200319144418/https://treasurefleetgame.com/

1694935079365.png 1694935121331.png
1694935183762.png 1694935213914.png
1694935630241.png 1694935242107.png
1694935859179.png 1694935897924.png

Moderator Action: Broken links updated - Blake00

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this! It looks like it's going to be fun.
Three things at first glance.

1. Problem.
The tutorial is accessible only on the first time the game is played. After that, there appears to be no way to re-read it or refer to it.
The only way to see it again is to uninstall and re-install the game.
So I would recommend adding something (both on the opening menu and in-game) to click on which would access the tutorial.
Particularly since it is a well-done tutorial.

2. Suggestion.
Enable moving by the direction pad in addition to the mouse.
Most people who will enjoy your game are used to doing that from Colonization.

3. Suggestion.
When all units are out of movement points, have the End Turn button flash, or turn red, or somehow indicate this situation.

Hi and thank you for your feedback!

1. You can press F1 on map view to bring back the tutorial window. There should be a tooltip on the close tutorial button that mentions it. There is also a .txt file in the game folder with all the keyboard shortcuts.

2. This is already implemented. Maybe you had Num Lock turned off?

3. This is a good idea, I'll add it to the TODO list.

I just found out about this, and it took me a bit by surprise. It looks good and I hope you'll keep polishing it! How moddable is it, graphics or otherwise?

Also, you really need to get word out there. Write to blogs like Rock Paper Shotgun or Kotaku, to get some coverage on the game perhaps. Just 3 reviews (on Steam, yes, it's on Steam) over a month and a half after release leads me to think Treasure Fleet is flying really under the radar.

Yeah not enough people know about this game! More often than not game programmers are the worst promoters of their hard work (no offense Drago haha). I didn't even know he had a steam page but thanks to you I've found it. Drago really needs to get out there hitting lots of Civ/Col/MoM/Orion/4x strat/retro gaming and off topic forums, fb groups and reddit groups talking about his game and post some screenshots and videos. If he doesn't then I guess I will eventually but often by the time I get to these things the dev has long given up and moved on lol.

I'm currently in the process of doing some Colonization tribute videos and will definitely tribute Drago's work. Have also just created some Colonization fans Facebook, Reddit, and Discord groups which I hope will expand to big communities like my Master of Magic & Starflight groups have. I can then use it as a platform for promote great Colonization scenarios, mods and indie fan games like Drago's. But that's going to take some time and effort!

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. You are right, I did zero marketing for the game, and I kind of expected it to be an obscure presence even on Steam. Truth is, I hate doing marketing. I made the game mostly for fun, so I did not expect to make profit out of it. Of course, a little more visibility and positive feedback would give me motivation to keep improving it.

How moddable is it, graphics or otherwise?

It should be very moddable. Most game parameters are in text files (csv, ini), and the the graphics both for UI and units/terrain are in png files that can be modified.

It should be very moddable. Most game parameters are in text files (csv, ini), and the the graphics both for UI and units/terrain are in png files that can be modified.
That's excellent.

And yeah, do get out there and do at least a couple of waves of promotion around like-minded online locations. Engage with would-be players and they may well end up promoting the game for you. Colonization is a well-loved game, and I'm certain there's a demand for an active spiritual successor within circles like this one.

I still haven't got to this one yet as my Civ2 work has blown out over several years. Really looking forward to trying it out and doing a video for my Civ & Colonization video series. Has anyone else had a go at it? It's sad to see the low amount of reviews on it but I can see Dragos is still responding to feedback/bug reports and updating the game (can see last one was about 6mths ago). Has anyone else here given it a shot? If so what did you think of it?

I did do a short tribute to it in the similar games part of my Sid Meier's Colonization HD tour video below, however until I actually find the time to try it out myself (assuming it works on my old machine) I can't do a bigger tribute yet.

Last edited:
Looks like Dragos is definitely still working on his labor of love as not long after my previous post here he recently posted a small update patch..

Last edited:
Top Bottom