Trenches, where are they?

Circlet the Zen

Chieftain
The Roman Legion can make roads but Great War Infantry can't build trenches?

Trenches - they are built just like roads, except melee units standing on these tiles take -50% damage from ranged attacks. They cannot be built on tiles adjacent to cities. This would make for some unique combat strategies and defenses.

Forts and fortification?

Forts and fortification?

I think the intended difference is that infantry units build trenches instead of workers.

An interesting idea, but I don't think trenches were that big a development in the grand scheme of things. True they played a big role in WWI, but they fell out of style after that. According to Wikipedia, the introduction of tanks broke the need to stay on the defensive in open area conflict.

Aren't trenches just represented by the fortify command? Maybe they could do an animation that when Great War and regular Infantry fortify, instead of pointing their guns they start digging?

It would certainly slow down tanks, before anti-tank guns are researched anyway. Still, too brief to be used properly except for a World War scenario game.

Roman legions built engineering works, The French charged field fortifications at Yorktown, Viet Cong dug tunnels. The history is not just Great War. Melee troops do fortify.

Roman legions built engineering works, The French charged field fortifications at Yorktown, Viet Cong dug tunnels. The history is not just Great War. Melee troops do fortify.

Exact. Roman Legions built fortified camps also. I think every unit fortification represents this kind of things in Civ5.

But, it was represented somewhat in Civ2, with two perpendicular monticules of earth around the unit when fortified.

I think similar graphic flavor could vastly occur in next civs, with variations from a civilization to another or units to others. (Legions build camps, Viets dig tunnels, etc...)

Even if it's not trenches, shouldn't infantry be able to build some sort of fortification? It would fit with the battlefield engineers of history.

An entire era of military stalemate and all my precious units wiped out in the process?

No thank you. ;)

Top Bottom