Trouble Installing an older game

Constantine

at least it isnt the sens
Hey,

I'm trying to install Star Wars Rebellion, a Winf 95 or 98 game on my system. When I begin to install it gives me a message, Attached is a picutre of the message. I'm running WinXp on a dell laptop if that matters.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Error Message.JPG
    Error Message.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 135
It looks pretty nasty. I don't think there is anyone here that can help you, but have you tried some pro-help? I've had the same problem with a stupid driving-game called: "CenterMadness". And I hired a pro. No Prob

I tried a similar thing, a while back.

I was trying to get Elite II: Frontier (I was on a nostalger trip) to run on my, then, newly built system. The site I d/l it from (all legal, it's availible free) had an extensive .txt file on how to get it to work on a newer system. Unfortunatly, It was way too involved, as I use Win2000pro,( I have my reasons) and the game needs a pure dos evironment. Too much trouble for an old game :(

You may need to set up a 'dual-boot' system, where you can boot to and older operating system. I have little experience with XP though, so don't know how (or even if) you would go about it. Try doing a search for for that though. It may help.

See... there you got help from Strontium Dog! He is a nerd who can help you with those.....ya'know.....problems...

Well I've sent an email to Lucasarts the maker of the game and judging by their forums it looks like others have problems running the game in XP. But what really pisses me off is that my buddy can run it on his XP system with no issues so..

If anyone has tips that'll be great.

Probably not... as Constantine said, it's a Win95/98 game.

The DOSBox team already got Win3.1 running though... hopefully a few generations of CPUs later, we'll have enough horse power to emulate Win95/98...

Have you tried the compatibility mode thing in XP? I've got red alert 1 working using that...

Open autoexec.nt in notepad and post it's contents here.

I used to play an old Star Wars game back when DirectX 7 was new, I cannot remember which title it was. That game had problems with DirectX. I had to downgrade to DirectX 4 (or maybe it was 5) as the game simply wouldn't run with newer versions installed! :eek:

This thread inspired me to have another go at getting Frontier to run.
I did some messing with scripts, with alternate .nl files, but could'nt persuade the game that I had extended memory . It needs it, but win2000 doesnt use it.

But I've solved it, :D and it may work if the game will run in dos.

There's a dos emulator availible, called dos-box. It's running Frontier for me, and even comes with sound and mouse drivers (i think it uses the basic sounblaster, which most cards can deal with).

The only downside is you need a decent machine, as the emulator uses a lot of resources.

Worth a shot though, I've lost the link, but just do a google for "Dos-box"

Or follow Jer's link above

Dos-Box is a right resource pig though, and there is no excuse for it! :(

I tested...

WinXP > DOSBox > Game
v.
WinXP > Basilisk II > MacOS 7.5.5 > Game

End results in the the second solution were many times faster. It was the same game, PC version v. Mac version (obviously).

This might help, I used it before, and it worked:

Start -> All Programs -> Accesories -> Program Capability Wizard.

It doesn't always work, but it worked a couple times for me.

stormbind said:
Dos-Box is a right resource pig though, and there is no excuse for it! :(
I suppose you could justify it by assuming that most programs that run under DOS don't require the utmost resources, so that makes up for it. :p

Use Dual/Triple boot.

I have a win 2000 (for windows stuff) and win 98 (for older, dos stuff) and will get a linux thing soon (university requirements).

How do you do it

Erase any other operating system.
Install Win 98.
Install Win 2000/XP on a diferent partition.

If that doesn't work (or you don't want to erase OSes), use Partition Magic.

Top Bottom