TSG 125 After Action Report

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG125 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU?
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?
- Did you settle any cities with Conquistadors?
- What techs did you prioritize ?

Update to t227

Spoiler :

I could see early on that the Dutch would become culture leader. I lost Worlds Fair to them and right now they have 20K. But I am number 1 in science and just captured my first Dutch city with artillery! I also have the reformation belief that lets you choose GP. I could not get SS, pity.

I spent a great deal of time fighting with Persia to clear the way, but now I have a clear path.

Here is a picture of my empire from a few turns earlier. We are waiting for the joint declaration with the ottomans to happen. I will screw over Istanbul with a citadel in a few turns.

Spoiler :

Moderator Action: Although you are not supposed to post in the After Action thread until you have finished the game, this post was sufficiently far in the game for me to move it to the After Action thread. Too many potential spoilers to be in the Opening Action thread. You followed the rules, so no problem there. Thanks.

Yeah, netherlands are an issue.
I have stopped my game for now. Like you I can go to war with them but look at the turns counter, we are way deep in the 200's and Diety will have spaceship parts up in the next 150 or so turns.

I made the Dutch go to war with everyone and that backfired as well as I expected :D

When I saw this game was diety,
Spoiler :
I knew we would have a NW next to us
, but also that it would be a slow, slow game if it came to war. With it being Diety, of course it would come to war :rolleyes:

Players like Acken wil have this wrapped up by around turn 300 or sooner so I'm just weighing up going through a slow and boring war or just throwing in the towel.

Hint: Peaceful games shouldn't go over 300 on deity as AI will very likely have launched SS. Otherwise war is inevitable. Usually the best course of action is to rush artillery or airports, depending on the overall tech rate and whether you got wonders/archaeologists. Conquer first the science runaways if they took rationalism/tradition, then culture runaways.

Victory T315!

My first diety CV.

Order. I left a 6000 strength musician on the table because I could not get Sully's border open and I did not want to declare war again. I could have done a lot better at exploration and also at archaeology digging. I did a good job keeping Oda off my back even though he hates a warmonger.

Spoiler :

Thank you for the map!

- Did you use your UU? Because I started to fight a little late, the Tercio was useful but the Conquistador was a little weak.
- How useful was your UA? The UA pretty much wins this game b/c of Mt Fuji.
- Did you use spying to your advantage? Didnt spy much, diplomats were the most useful.
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how? The Dutch were far away but I feel they had to be taken out.
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions? It made me a little more aggressive than usual at first. I dowed Persia and Japan before I started on the Dutch.
- Was Faith helpful to achieve victory? How? I had 100 faith per turn almost all game long. It was very useful for religious buildings in my core. I bought 2 Engineers, a scientist and 4 Musicians with faith.
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order?full Tradition>4 Piety>2 Exploration>2 Rationalism>full Aestethics>full Order.
- Did you settle any cities with Conquistadors? No
- What techs did you prioritize ? Cannons>Artillery>Radio>Rail Road>Flight

Two interesting observations:
1. I took One with Nature for the extra faith but when I founded my religion in the cap, I lost the extra faith in city 2.
2. Darius spread his religion to my cities and he had Mosques & Pagodas. I had Monestaries & Cathedrals so pretty soon I had all 4 religious buildings in my cities. Now Gaja choose Sacred Sites and had about 6 great prophets running around but he never once coverted any of my cities. :(

Game: Civ5 GOTM 125
Date submitted: 2015-12-30 14:41:19
Reference number: 33683
Your name: Vandyfan08
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1894AD
Turns played: 317
Base score: 1417
Final score: 2249
Time played: 6:08:00
Submitted save: Mark TSG125.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Vandyfan08_C512501.Civ5Save

As my weakest victory condition, I knew this was going to be a slog to the end. I tried for Sacred Sites early but then had to revamp when someone else took it. With the number of National Wonders in the immediate vicinity, I'm wondering if a Liberty/Piety mix rather than the full tradition route I went would have been better (still ended up settling 6 cities, all on main continent).

Spent about 80% of the game at war, really slowed me down at the beginning. Once I got settled is was more of a nuisance than anything else as they just threw troops at my cities and got batted away.

- Did you use your UU?

Didn't use the Tercios. Used the conquistadors to scout the new area but didn't settle any cities.

Very much so. First religion, great early culture.

Some, but I used most of them for CSs early and then as diplomats.

The two close NWs helped immensely. Other than that, another day in the office. Maybe a bit tighter than normal but still able to settle six cities with Tradition.

Other than having me avoid all early wonders, not much.

Faith was helpful in managing happiness as I got two faith buildings.

Full Tradition. Started piety, lost Sacred Sites. Opened aesthetics. Two in Rationalism, went freedom.

No

Prioritized astronomy, then basic rush to plastics.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 125
Date submitted: 2016-01-01 23:52:07
Reference number: 33694
Your name: Sempronius
Game status: Incomplete Retired
Game date: 1828AD
Turns played: 284
Base score: 808
Final score: 808
Time played: 24:55:00
Submitted save: Isabella_0284 AD-1828.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Sempronius_C512501.Civ5Save

- Did you use your UU?
Yes, I used conquistadors to settle new cities on the second continent.
It made the opening of the game possible, 1500g from discoveries which resulted in 2 cities.
Yes, I stole a few items.
The map was good, the terrain was rough enough to slow down Japan the one time they attacked. I liked having the empty continent for further expansion later in the game.
I don't often play on deity, and the aggressiveness of the AI was a chief concern throughout the game.
Faith is the only reason I was able to continue to near turn 300. Pagodas and Mosques were how I was able to counter the happiness issues on deity level, without them it would have been over a long time ago.
Opened Trad, Opened Piety, took trad to monarchy, opened honor to get culture from barbarians, opened exploration for the +3 hammers in all of my cities (all on coasts). The majority had taken Order by the time I could chose one, so I took the majority path to avoid revolts.
Yes, 5 cities on the new continent were settled with them. The ability to land on shore, kill a nearby barbarian camp if needed and then settle was great.
Sailing to start, then military techs to keep the other civs at bay while picking up any science or culture boosts I could.

I ended up retiring at turn 284 as I didn't feel like hitting next turn another 100+ times. The Dutch were in the lead with Japan close behind. Japan and Persia divided up the Roman Empire between them and had just started attacking each other. I ended the game while researching flight, while the Dutch had at least a dozen aircraft carriers with regular fighters on them.

I think this might be a record for the most peaceful deity game I've played. I was attacked by Japan around turn 210 and that lasted 6 or 7 turns before it ended. Other than that I was friends with everyone and had no conflicts. I may finish the game eventually, but there is only so much time this weekend and it could take hours to finish.

Your name: InaneObserver
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1745AD
Turns played: 259
Base score: 1164
Final score: 2282
Time played: 12:12:00

I'm used to being in the mid-tier for finishing times in the DCL leagues, someone will probably record a sub-250 run soon... I got very lucky with two things: I managed to get SS and 2 faith buildings, and the competing religion got one more faith building and Jesuit education. That enabled cities with 6 tourism from buildings.
Spoiler :

Faith-bought 2 GMs, sold Seville to William in the last rounds and bombed him twice, bombed India once.

- Did you use your UU?
No Tercios, but built one Conquistador to look for NWs. Turns out he was SUPER useful returning workers/settlers, clearing barb camps and protecting my archeologists. With the big open spaces I could maneuver so that workers/settlers were captured multiple times for added bonus. 2-3 CS allies were obtained that way. In the end he founded a city just so I could establish a trade route to William for the tourism modifier:)

Very. I always open with 2 scouts so was pretty early finding the NW south. Used the gold to settle it. Took a while to find Great Barrier Reef, but I was first there too.

Stole 2 techs, but mostly the spies worked CS and diplomat roles. I lost my special agent in a desperate coup attempt to slow AI culture gain.

Coastal start paired well with Tradition. 3 NWs.

Japan and Rome dual DoWed. Japan signed quickly, but Rome was a huge pain. For a while I thought the game was bugged; he just threw units at me for around 100 turns and would not negotiate peace. In the end I bribed William to DoW him and then he signed. The excess units were useful for surrounding my vulnerable cities to prevent conversion and save the SS modifier without the need for Inquisitors.

Picked Oral Tradition for the extra culture. SS and two faith buildings plus an AI religion was great for early tourism. Faith-bought 2 GMs and timed another to pop as soon as International Games and National Visitor Center were done.

Think order was full Tradition, 2 Piety for cheaper faith purchase, 1 in Aesthetics, 2 Rationalism for secularism, reformation from Piety, 3 in Freedom, finished Aesthetics, finished Piety, 3 more in Freedom, opener Commerce (extras from Oracle, 2 free ideologies, World Fair, Statue of L., Int. Games and Sydney)

See above.

The usual, Education-ST-Plastics. Opened Renaissance with Astronomy for chance to find more NWs, then a detour to PP for a lucky t151 Tower of Pisa. Bulbed once for fast hotels, then bulbed to Internet.

Wow, it took me a while but hey, it's deity. This time the end game was actually quite exciting, as I wasn't sure if I would win before the AI launched or DOWed me.

- Did you use your UU?
I built 3 conquistadors to scout the other continent. Didn't find any NWs though so settled just 1 city there, as a base where to do CS quests from and as Archaeologist factory mainly.

Very, with 3 NWs close to start!

Stole a few techs but not that much.

It was quite crowded on the starting continent. Got DOWed early by Japan but beat him off. Sent Cesar after him who eliminated him, and subsequently grew into a monster. Fortunately he was cheap to bribe so I used him to go after my cultural rivals. He all but eliminated Polynesia but didn't take any of Ghandi's cities although I paid him to DOW. The drawback was that Rome pretty much surrounded all my lands, so if he ever attacked me it would have been tricky.

I should have known better than to go after the early wonders, but still tried for Petra and Oracle. Didn't get them though. Got a couple of mid and late game wonders, starting with Pisa.
I went 3 city trad/lib, then settled a 4th after I discovered GBR, and later a 5th on the other continent.

Very much so. I was first to found a religion and got cathedrals for extra art slot. Was last to expand it though, so SS was out of the question.
Got 2 GEs and 3 GMs after internet from faith. 2 more GMs (one natural and one from liberty finisher) won me the game.

Tradition opener, liberty until collective rule, finished tradition, aesthetics, exploration opener, rationalism, freedom, finished aesthetics, patronage opener, liberty finisher, & commerce opener while GMs where making their way to the foreign lands for the tour

see above

tried to get to internet ASAP

Incredible how powerful the GMs are after internet. I had 700 tpt in the end, mostly from artifacts in 5 cities with museums and cathedrals, and also a couple wonders with theming bonus (Sydney, Louvre...). Netherlands was one of the culture runaways and he wouldn't give open borders, but I didn't even have to DOW him to get my GM in his lands as the 20% fallout from the GMs I bulbed in India and Rome were enough to become influential.

I managed to last until the New World was discovered. By then, Rome had conquered Japan and was working on Persia. The Ottomans had taken out India, aside from Delhi, and the Netherlands had managed to peacefully settle about 15 cities and were destroying everyone in culture and science.

Sadly, right around when ideologies started coming out, I got stuck between Indonesia in Order and Rome in Freedom. I tried going Freedom since Rome was a bigger military threat, but the unhappiness just killed me, so I had to revolt to Order. That only barely helped the unhappiness issues and soon after, Rome declared war on me, followed by the Ottomans.

I was easy pickings, really. My military wasn't even up to gatling guns yet, and my tercios stood no chance against Rome's battle-hardened Great War infantry.

I would have lasted a little bit longer via my 4 New World cities that I settled with conquistadors(I love those things), but right after I bribed Rome to a peace deal by giving him my worst city, Persia declared on me and took my other three. I had no military over there, I'd been trying to build up the culture and land area of those cities first, before all the good hexes were taken by the AIs.

Sadly, I didn't realize you can't save the game after losing to conquest, so I don't have a save to submit. All that said, I really did better than I expected for my first Civ V deity game.

I think when you get conquered, you can submit the save from the turn before?

I think when you get conquered, you can submit the save from the turn before?

There are saves with domination losses so it can be done

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

True, but I hadn't saved in quite some time and my autosaves were overwritten by a different game before I thought to check them(and are only once every 10 turns still, since I hadn't played a GOTM in so long.)

I managed to last until the New World was discovered. By then, Rome had conquered Japan and was working on Persia. The Ottomans had taken out India, aside from Delhi, and the Netherlands had managed to peacefully settle about 15 cities and were destroying everyone in culture and science.

Sadly, right around when ideologies started coming out, I got stuck between Indonesia in Order and Rome in Freedom. I tried going Freedom since Rome was a bigger military threat, but the unhappiness just killed me, so I had to revolt to Order. That only barely helped the unhappiness issues and soon after, Rome declared war on me, followed by the Ottomans.

I was easy pickings, really. My military wasn't even up to gatling guns yet, and my tercios stood no chance against Rome's battle-hardened Great War infantry.

I would have lasted a little bit longer via my 4 New World cities that I settled with conquistadors(I love those things), but right after I bribed Rome to a peace deal by giving him my worst city, Persia declared on me and took my other three. I had no military over there, I'd been trying to build up the culture and land area of those cities first, before all the good hexes were taken by the AIs.

Sadly, I didn't realize you can't save the game after losing to conquest, so I don't have a save to submit. All that said, I really did better than I expected for my first Civ V deity game.

Ouch. Painful tale that one.

Here's my Tale of Amusing Woe.

Could I submit this...perhaps, but I gave up on trying to get a competitive time and decided I preferred to see if I could break some kind of record for having chased down a culture target instead =)

Opened like everyone else here, and found that lovely mountain. Had no idea of what was out there (did not think there was anything) but I was attracted to build some triemes and do something about that island because the barb camp I could see from shore was the likely source of the galleys trying to hurt my food ships.

Of course, when I went there, I 'ran aground' on the Great Barrier Reef. Literally. For whatever reason - mabye because to my shock I found the Reef again in the middle of nowhere very near the end - the Reef on that island did not appear on screen. It just gave me goodies, and was occasionally irritating when I forgot it was there in the process of attacking Japanese and Dutch ships.

Anyway, I founded a FPT pantheon, and the plan was to turn Japan into my attack dog by spreading my religion against Persia and Rome. Meanwhile, I did a 4 city settle. I was going to go more, but could not justify the settle location in a way that would be easy to defend.

That plan half worked. Japan took my religion, was Friendly. Went to war with Rome and Persia. However, Rome was beaten (eventually totally - more on that later!) and Persia and Japan did not do any damage to each other.

Then, Japan attacked me. With warnings from the Indonesians. Which I half took seriously, since, well, its Japan. At which point I was really happy for those mountains. It was Samurai - a horde of - and bows, and muskets against crossbows, pikes and two Gallasses - and some Triremes. I won easily. I simply let the Japanese come in, and I blasted them with ranged attacks, and let them train my pikes, which I cycled out. I also let them try amphibious moves, then swarmed them with Triemes. Samurai are sitting ducks in the water. During all of this Persia and I maintained good relations, and my sieged capital spent its time obliviously building wonders. Japan and I also had a sea war in the mutual bay - to no avail. I sank way more of their ships, but it was basically a draw.

There's a move that I always try to use, so long as I can get to Freedom first, and have a policy to spend. The 3 policies give me access to Volunteer Army - which frankly is enough to conquer deity civs, given the right support in artillery and anti air. What with the mountains and citadel I put down along the Japanese border, about 4 units held them off. Even if I intend to switch ideologies, the detour into Freedom is basically free, so long as I get their first, as I get some credit to what I switch to. Not a bad exchange I'd say for 6 UU's.

My last act of the cold war that followed was to intervene to revive Rome, which had settled a city next to my capital - they were maybe out of it for two turns. After taking the Japanese city and giving it to Rome in the adjacent bay, I went after the Japanese capital - lost a Battleship, and found the rest of the fleet redlined. Retreated so as not to suffer a massive Pyrrhic victory.

In my games, I find I often make use of the revived civs strategy. So as long as we had good relations, I much prefer to revive them, and give them the cities I have no use for. I do not have happiness issues, and do not have to fear the otherwise immediate settler from who knows where plopping down. I also demand their gold per turn and all their resources, which civs are really happy to give you. The ransom they will pay for a Capital is mind boggling.

The Dutch and the Persians came after me next, due to my defence pact with Indonesia, my Freedom pal. The Dutch navy lies in the bottom of the sea, thanks to the subforce, city states allied with me, and the Indonesian navy. It really was a crisis, as the Dutch were cutting trade to such a degree I ended up turning my navy toward their icy colonies to the south of my lands, giving some to Rome, and randoming some back to the Dutch for a mint. The Persian army was deeply weakened by the fact they were not aiming at me, but an Indonesian city, and kept trying to move along the edge of my territory to get a better shot at their target. Having expected war for ages, I'd prebuilt forts, chopped forests and given troops flat land promotions. Played a defensive action supported by artillery till Persia was drained by its wars against the Dutch, Turks, Indians, Indonesians and me.

Anyway at this point I had to seriously act against Persia. They were a good 10k past the Dutch, and their production was better than mine. So, moved in, and went on a liberation spree. Sent my fleet around to the Turkish lands the Persians took, where they helped the Indians fight the Persians to take Turkish lands. I could not help feel like the Russians in the Russo-Japanese war - I just hoped I'd see the fleet again. It was a big risk frankly as I would have had serious issues had Japan tried to come back at that point. The nuclear subs I had did a brilliant job of scouting and clearing the sea lanes, to the point where I sent one to kill Persian ships which had taken Vatican City. Most of the fleet survived the trip (after 2 nuclear attacks on Mumbai). The Romans got pretty well every other city not Susa or the Persian capital.

This was about the point that I said meh, lets see what we can do the hit a record tourism number. So, went to Internet, got hit by a nuclear bomb, watched my land army get taken out by three nuclear bombs in three turns by Persia against their own capital, shrugged, won the Games in a walk, spent my 11k faith, made peace with a friendly Persia and well...was happy to hit over six digits. =)

Thanks for a fun Christmas Game.

P.S. I was *really* surprised to find this New World. Yeah, I know it should have been really obvious, but, I spent a good bit of time trying to see what civ started there!

Attachments

• 2016-01-01_00004.jpg
    2016-01-01_00004.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 2016-01-01_00002.jpg
    2016-01-01_00002.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 2016-01-01_00003.jpg
    2016-01-01_00003.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 2016-01-01_00001.jpg
    2016-01-01_00001.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 146
Well... I managed to bully the other AI to go to war against each other, but Persia just started to become too powerful, got all the wonders, started to really tech up and got the biggest army, so as soon as I got artillery I asked the Ottomans if we would go to war against Persia together. He accepted but wanted to wait ten turns, so... I waited. And then the war started just as Persia completed the Manhattan project and I figured everything would go to hell...

Spoiler :
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/545299906225532359/794EB57C6AC55F91532E4ECEBDA0BC090EB620C2/

So yeah, I fought a valiant battle, but in the end, I had to see myself defeated. Oh well, maybe next game!

t232

too bad i didn't find GBR before education

hit education around t95, got a lot of cultural wonders.

spammed archeologists, built hotels and bulbed and built airports. waited for international games and timed the birth of the musicians for concerts of 4k worth.

Well... I managed to bully the other AI to go to war against each other, but Persia just started to become too powerful, got all the wonders, started to really tech up and got the biggest army, so as soon as I got artillery I asked the Ottomans if we would go to war against Persia together. He accepted but wanted to wait ten turns, so... I waited. And then the war started just as Persia completed the Manhattan project and I figured everything would go to hell...

Spoiler :
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/545299906225532359/794EB57C6AC55F91532E4ECEBDA0BC090EB620C2/

So yeah, I fought a valiant battle, but in the end, I had to see myself defeated. Oh well, maybe next game!

Doesn't look that bad.....what happened exactly?

2 eras behind when you went to war? You need a minimum of triplane/AA guns in this case.

Yes, unless of course you blitz the city before they can hit you, hand it to say, the Ottomans, or some other friend of yours who hates Persia, and then rinse and repeat.

They can only hit what they can see, and so long as you give them other targets, using battlefield workers to build roads etc, then you can blitz into their territory, and sell their cities to others for massive GPT.

Yes, unless of course you blitz the city before they can hit you, hand it to say, the Ottomans, or some other friend of yours who hates Persia, and then rinse and repeat.

They can only hit what they can see, and so long as you give them other targets, using battlefield workers to build roads etc, then you can blitz into their territory, and sell their cities to others for massive GPT.

Yeah, I was too behind, my force was too weak. I hadn't even unlocked great war bombers, and they had anti-aircraft guns. I had hope that hitting them from two flanks would make me able to take the city closest to me and then break off the war, but they came with freaking tanks! I still had riflemen! I did kill off like ten units, but then they seemed to focus all attention on me and came with like five tanks and some Calvary and anti-aircraft guns and killed like half my army in one blow..

In retrospect, I should either have gone for Persia much sooner, or built a bigger army with lots of airplanes... but they had started to snowball so I'm not sure I'd be able to catch up.

I only have three deity victories under my belt and for some reason, I'm not as good with battle as I am with the other types of victories :sad: Oh well, I'll learn :lol: Thanks for your tips, I'll keep them in mind next time I'm in a situation like this!

Top Bottom