TSG 236 After Actions Thread

Way back in the day there was civ 2, and it's boring rival was a computer game called sim city, the game was only about building infrastructure. Building cities.
Yeah I actually played that one! It was fun at first but got boring quick. Then I discovered Civ 3 and was hooked for life :D

Thanks for explaining the expression, didn't realize it referred to the game!

Civ 3 was fun, quite a departure from civ 2, which was becoming more like sim city anyway.. for the number of roads and railroads that were built !

Civ 5 is another big step with its 1 unit per tile, I am slowly picking up the strategy...

so back to this game, I have 3 saved games, hehe.
1. 3 city NC and promoted xbows it looked like a decent start until I realized i was 50 turns too late, I think i will sack this game.
2. A Tradition opener for my first time ever, I was lacking culture and tiles as Gandhi, but missed the NC as I really messed up my second city placement on the bananas next to Attila. (In a rush to settle a city to capture his capital) However, I have 8 elephants close to logistics and have captured Attila's and Monte's capitals. Shaka is out the game, Alex took him out. So I will finish this game now that I have a better idea how to play the elephants.. elephants with logistics are a viable option as they move and shoot. But I will only get xbows late in the game, my tech is nowhere. I have to win with the 8 elephants and a couple of cbs.
3. So I copied my Tradition opening strategy, ended up with a 4 city NC (Monte had the Great Library in his capital so I had to build a Library first) . I built 4 elephants and 3 archers and had them camped around Attila's last city as an xp farm.... I have Oligarchy, which I thought might be useful, but at the cost not completing the Honor tree.
.. when.. my scout saw that all Monte's cities were empty, he was attacking the Danes, so I took the opportunity.. I lost a scout (bummer really as I am blind on my western flank now) but a missile took his satellite city with a scout capture and I got my elephants to his capital before his army came back, so a walk in, and then easy xp mopping up his army... I used 2 missiles as I didnt know where Monte's army was, but I could have taken it conventionally and saved 2 missiles.
A much better position.. except.. Shaka has just appeared with an army built for Mordor.. eek.. 7 impis, 4 comp bows, 3 chariots and 2 warriors, I have a great defensive set up with a citadel 3 tiles out from Tenochtitlan.. Tenoch has +80% damage from the city bombard. I will engage and retreat. I have 2 elephants with range and logistics, just got my xbows to logistics..

I will finish the last 2 games, one with no tech but no Shaka, the other with tech, promoted elephants an a huge Shaka army..

when I find the time.. i thought my 3 am civ days were over hehe

Domination on turn 306 (first attempt).

Constant DOWs from Atilla and Monty slowed me down considerablyas I could not wage war against them both at the same time. But the Indian infrastructure was up and running by then and I was not in danger of losing.

Domination victory on turn 172

I played a few long games of this scenario before I got lucky. Really lucky, it was a walk through, I think the civ gods took pity on me at last. I was over cautious, a better player could have won quicker.

Took Attila to one 1 city, which I had surrounded for xp when my scout saw Monte'e cities were all empty. I took a satellite city with one missile and one scout loss, captured with a scout. Same scout captured Monte's capital, with the aid of some elephants and 2 missiles. Monte was attacking the Danes, he just brought his army back for my bows to take out. He relocated his capital to Bogota and build the great wall there. I captured the city and decided not to keep the Great Wall in favour of the happiness and culture and ally. I made an effort to ally with Hong Kong and declared war on Greece soon after, Alex had most of the CS s allies, I had to protect my back.

t129.png

Harald was losing the war with Monte and he only had a few troops. As I was sizing him up, Shaka's army arrived, I paid him to DOW Alex, and he went away. I was attacking Copenhagen when all Shaka's army arrived back, but they were heading for the Great Wall. I put a scout and an elephant outside Bogota and pledged to protect it. Alex then allied with Samarkand, and Shaka went to attack there instead. Finally, Alex attacked Shaka and took Nobamba and Shaka was responding.

While this was happening I took the Dane's capital and Aarhus for peace.
t136.png

As Shaka was recalling his troops they were strung out and I attacked them. I defended and released Aarhus from Shaka for a few turns until I had destroyed all his troops. He have me his second city for peace, so I took it and went for Athens, it looked easy with nearly all my archers with range and logistics, and it was. I did use the last missile against Athens, just for a quick kill. I went back to finish Shaka about 12 turns later?

easy win. lucky. but I'll take it..

t172.png

I learned a lot. Domination rush in Deity with a non warlike civ needs the NC opener for the late game support. On normal game speed anyway.
On bigger maps this than, or difficult maps, slogging an army across the board just isnt viable and this strategy wouldn't work. Elephants are fragile, just need a pocket full of mice, so crossbows in the front line is essential, especially for cities. I had a good mix of 4 elephants and 3 bows to start, largely forced on me by circumstance.

I wouldn't have beaten this game without the missiles.

Thanks for indulging me, I enjoyed the game but it took a lot of my time.. domination with the EUI is so much easier, for a quick glance at the promotions. That is definitely my last Gandhi game .. such a horrible colour.. and my last game of civ for a while....

National College.
On tiny maps I just build an army, not even libraries. Same with small maps and a warmonger, say Attila or the germans.
On small maps with no warmonger I have to build libraries and the NC to get the tech needed to survive the end game, this is new for me.
I usually play on slow game speeds as well, the army is not redundant as fast.
I cant see this being a viable strategy for larger maps. Simply impossible to march the army across the board? (Or is it? i dont have the time to explore long games, I keep them short.)

Thanks, I assumed it was the national college but couldn’t make sense of the word opener. Since you call it an opener, I assume you don’t wait for a Republic free GE to build it?

I dont know what that GE strategy is you refer to. I usually open Honor and complete it towards the end game. This was the first time I opened Tradition, but the oligarchy bonus was useless.

I only build units, but for this game I tried to build a 3 city NC before turn 100 as well. I ended up juggling it with city captures and made a 4 city. I am planning as best I can to build the libraries around my troops.

I followed @basior 's advice above.. ( " I beeline CB first (after first column of tech) with a possible detour to calendar.Then beeline Philosophy and get ready with libraries before it finishes. You can help SPT with a caravan if you can connect it to different civ than your first victim (the earlier the better). I prefer to build it without GE and use GS instead for Machinery (is a all in approach for maps winnable with just XB)."

Basior also addresses the GE, I would have to read up on this strategy, it is not one that I have ever adopted. In my games the great people are usually generated from city captures with various wonders inside them. I only build an army and absolute essentials, no barracks, no religion unless the game gives it to me. The Honor tree is a good fit for domination, and usually it is easier to keep cities to a small size..

I havent played much civ 5 and I only play these small domination games. I dont have the time to learn the game beyond this simple wargame set up. I

policy.png

I dont know what that GE strategy is you refer to. I usually open Honor and complete it towards the end game. This was the first time I opened Tradition, but the oligarchy bonus was useless.

I only build units, but for this game I tried to build a 3 city NC before turn 100 as well. I ended up juggling it with city captures and made a 4 city. I am planning as best I can to build the libraries around my troops.

I followed @basior 's advice above.. ( " I beeline CB first (after first column of tech) with a possible detour to calendar.Then beeline Philosophy and get ready with libraries before it finishes. You can help SPT with a caravan if you can connect it to different civ than your first victim (the earlier the better). I prefer to build it without GE and use GS instead for Machinery (is a all in approach for maps winnable with just XB)."

Basior also addresses the GE, I would have to read up on this strategy, it is not one that I have ever adopted. In my games the great people are usually generated from city captures with various wonders inside them. I only build an army and absolute essentials, no barracks, no religion unless the game gives it to me. The Honor tree is a good fit for domination, and usually it is easier to keep cities to a small size..

I havent played much civ 5 and I only play these small domination games. I dont have the time to learn the game beyond this simple wargame set up. I

View attachment 682470
Great people I mention are from finishing Liberty policy tree. Best SP tree for early wars imho :)

I can see the attraction of Liberty, and for larger maps I think I would adopt this and go for a science build up to advanced tech, then go to war.

I am capturing my third city on Deity, sometimes my second city on Immortal (so no settler build!) . I go as lean as possible, just building the troops, not even monuments for the culture. The culture from barbs is good in the early game and raging hordes is even more culture, the bonus against barbs is noticeable. The double xp is invaluable for late game promotions. I am looking to take the initial army to victory.

The problem is often a slow start and if I dont get worker captures I am really late to develop cities, I hardly ever build workers. I can usually buy a few tiles to cover the expansion loss and I often use generals for city expansions and early luxury grabs. Liberty would certainly ameliorate the problems with a slow start, but Honor just works well for my limited strategy. I often dip into Liberty if I do have a really slow start. On tiny maps the game is over before it becomes an issue. On Immortal and below I have captured enough capitals to make up for a slow start.

This is another reason why my strategy is limited to small maps, even with a good start in Honor I dont have a good base to build on, the slow start really shows itself in the late game. Having the NC makes a huge difference. It was interesting to play this game several times and see the differences. Maybe I should play this again with Liberty and see how I get on,.... if someone mods india's badge colour for me I might even have a go hehe..

I dont have your experience so I accept Liberty is most likely the better option for most games. I will try it sometime.

Does this game have a turn limit, and is it 500 turns?

I know it's after the submit date, but I would like to finish the game unless it may end prematurely. I'm approaching 400 turns in a global nuclear war with Shaka.

Moderator Action: Moved to the After Action thread as it is long after 100 turns. leif

I feel I should explain how my playing time can be over 200 hours. It’s because of Steam. The computer I play on cannot be logged into Steam all the time. There is another computer that uses Steam too. so, if I exit Civilisation 5 when not being logged into Steam, I would not be able to start the game again. Since I would happily play civ Without even an Internet connection, I believe Steam is the culprit and not myself.

To be even clearer: I play Civ on one computer only. Steam does not allow this because it has decided that we should all restlessly migrate with all our digital luggage whether we want to or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom