TSG 167 AAR

Turn 224
Game Date 1908
Score 1042

6 city tradition :)
Second city was founded very early on my starting island, three more on other continents since there was no happiness hit and one late one for Coal.
Lots of places for Barbs to spawn meant even late in the game I was still losing cargo ships.
Peaceful all the way through, at the end almost everyone liked me, with the exception of Dido, who I am sure wanted to declare war, but didn't quite dare.

- How useful was your UA?
It was helpful to be able to expand quickly without worrying about happiness, though in truth the nature of the map meant their were still viable city locations late in the game.

- Did you use spying to your advantage?
Stole a couple of techs from Dido.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Was able to outrace the AI's so I was able to get the city locations I wanted. On the down side, strategic resources were in limited supply.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Tradition, Some exploration until rationalism opened up, rationalism, freedom, finished exploration

- What techs did you prioritize ?
Standard science (beelining Education, Public School, Research Lab) except that I started by getting my sea game underway.

Attachments

• TSG 167 Gajah Mada_0224 AD-1908.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
turn 205

Missed the "God of the Sea" Pantheon so chose the bonus for wonders, I would have settled two more cities for sure with the extra hammers and a hope of getting a good score. I haven't played recently and didn't remember the need to build sea structures after the light house. So I got harbors and ports very late in the game. I timed the finish well but could have bought the last few rocket parts and avoided the transit. I also fat fingered my second prophet making my religion not just bad but terrible. I went a four city tradition and didn't bother to build additional cities, I should've built two more. I didn't defend my religion because the celts kept declaring war with the carthages and her religion was better than mine with two buildings. But not spreading my religion to city states requesting it was a lazy choice, I made that did slow me down. I filled out the tradition tree with a well timed oracle pop. I then opened patronage and got two more on left side so science contribution. I bulbed all my writers and then led the world fair doing all the work and was able to finish off the rational tree with most of my writers, I forgot two of them and didn't use them until late. I turned almost all the city states with spies and luck because I didn't have a good uei and was lazy in the late game. A big mistake was letting the congress embargo city states, I got this corrected in time but good thing I didn't have to fight a war. Found it funny that so many ruins were left in late game, would have been fun to send around a late era unit and let it be upgraded to an elite unit. The map was too big and made the game drag a little but it was interesting to play King level which makes timing things much easier.

Attachments

• GDL_Gajah Mada_0205 AD-1870.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 121
I just completed this.....I guess it's my first CIv 5 GOTM.....is there no page to submit like IV?.....do I just submit on the HoF page?....don't see a link anywhere to a submission page......

Moderator Action: Once you open a save, please use the After Action Report thread. There is a submission page, the link is listed in the Announcement thread, just need to get it opened up, sorry about that. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just completed this.....I guess it's my first CIv 5 GOTM.....is there no page to submit like IV?.....do I just submit on the HoF page?....don't see a link anywhere to a submission page......

Moderator Action: Once you open a save, please use the After Action Report thread. There is a submission page, the link is listed in the Announcement thread, just need to get it opened up, sorry about that. leif

I tried that link....this is all I see, beyond Civ 3 and Civ 4 GOTM links on each side...so where do you submit 167?:

Civ5 GOTM 166 Entries are now CLOSED.

This submissions page will reopen for business when a new game is released.

Yes, thank you, I am aware of it. I need to get some things to happen in the background. As I said in the blue text, we need to get it opened up. Patience please.

Getting close to deadline....where do I submit my game?

Edit: Disregard.....I see in the first post we just attach the file here.....I willdo.

Last edited:
Nothing spectacular for our science victory.....but I believe it's only my 2nd King difficulty victory, so I'll take it. It's been awhile since I played it, so it's a little fuzzy. But, I believe I had 9 cities, and not a single war the entire game.....so I was able to focus on science a great deal. Not sure what I need to learn to reach the early victories some here had.....we won in 1982.

Very useful to have the happiness boost from settling on other land masses....and gave good trade options for more happiness....so the hardlier time with unhappiness from King didn't bother me too much.

Not at all....I guess I've never done much spy stuff, beyond in my own cities, or to win culture victories.

Yes, I believe so. Was able to settle fairly early on some good property. Yet, was far enough away that nobody was tempted to declare war on me.

Might have been able to go with more cities, but 9 was pushing the limit on my happiness efforts....

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

Seems I do the same ones in many games....Liberty, then Patronage, at least most of the way, but this time I completed it....then for science wins, Rationalism. I always choose the Freedom ideology for science wins, so I can buy spaceship parts. But, my game lasted longer as I didn't have enough cash to buy all the components.

I tend to always just go down the quickest tech paths, and never beeline.

Attachments

• Gajah Mada_0262 AD-1982.Civ5Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 202
Spaceship victory in 1946

I kind of was overshooting in culture and didn't know what to pick in the end (so I even opened up Piety quite late...)

Production was ok for me. Might write more in the next days.

Attachments

• Gajah Mada_0243 AD-1946_won.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 133
Submission system should be working properly now. Please let me know if there is a problem.

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:
Game: Civ5 GOTM 167
Date submitted: 2018-03-01 12:06:24
Reference number: 35860
Your name: beto_java
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1940AD
Turns played: 240
Base score: 1334
Final score: 1852
Time played: 7:55:00
Submitted save: FINAL_Gajah Mada_0240 AD-1940.Civ5Save
Renamed file: beto_java_C516701.Civ5Save

I've pretty much given-up on the the submissions thing; it hasn't worked right since HR left. But I'm still enjoying playing the games and discussing them, and I appreciate y'all keeping them going.

According to the announcement message, submission system should still be open today, but I am getting error message. I did mean to wait until the last minute!

Please find attached, T241 SV.

Attachments

• Gajah Mada_0241 AD-1942 SV.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 191
I restartet after like some 10 turns.
Finished after 257 turns.

I founded my first two cities on the same island, the third and fourth on neighbouring islands. The extra lux helped both with happiness and gold.
I'm not sure if I even stole one tech since I was tech leader pretty soon. I killed one spy in my capital. There were about 4 or 5 steals that my spy did not prevent.
I always wanted to play Indonesia in a setting like this, it was just too hard on the level I usually choose.
I was too sloppy at the beginning because it felt too easy. I built wonders a lot which I wouldn't normally do.
Tradition, Liberty, Rationalism, inbetween Patronage. Freedom Ideology (almost to the finish)
Wasn't very goal oriented I guess. Went for sailing first, after that NC and then fourth city, probably not focused enough.

Attachments

• 2019-07-05 (1).png
    2019-07-05 (1).png
    4.9 MB · Views: 129
I restartet after like some 10 turns.
Finished after 257 turns.

I founded my first two cities on the same island, the third and fourth on neighbouring islands. The extra lux helped both with happiness and gold.
I'm not sure if I even stole one tech since I was tech leader pretty soon. I killed one spy in my capital. There were about 4 or 5 steals that my spy did not prevent.
I always wanted to play Indonesia in a setting like this, it was just too hard on the level I usually choose.
I was too sloppy at the beginning because it felt too easy. I built wonders a lot which I wouldn't normally do.
Tradition, Liberty, Rationalism, inbetween Patronage. Freedom Ideology (almost to the finish)
Wasn't very goal oriented I guess. Went for sailing first, after that NC and then fourth city, probably not focused enough.

Thanks for bringing this one back on my radar. I've played it a couple of more times this week to see if I could get a sub-200 turn game. I can't. No matter what I do different, I end up winning in the 240's to 250. And Tradition works better than Liberty. (I should try it going Honor or Piety just to see what happens) I have been using Exploration instead of Patronage for my filler policies before Rationalism unlocks; not sure if that's good, bad, or indifferent. But Naval Infrastructure seems like a really good policy on island maps

Last edited:
Played it one more time, going straight Piety into Exploration, and then Rationalism and Freedom. I took Heathen Conversion for my reformation belief, and scouted-out the world with captured galleys and triremes on auto-explore. That missionary probably captured about 50 barbs; I kept the good units (privateers, a musket, rifles, GW infantries and Gatling guns) and gave the lesser ones away to CS's for influence. I didn't have to build much military myself until it was time for subs and missile cruisers. I eventually founded the world congress (took forever to find Morocco for some reason.) Got a science victory on turn 258, just slightly slower than with Tradition. I probably could have sped that up a bit by accepting some of the lopsided research agreements where the AI wanted me to give them all my iron or my horses. I did take a few where I gave them my last copy of a luxury and a little gold.

It was an interesting game; I was friends with everyone until right at the end. I think all the denouncements started around turn 240 when I proposed Historical Landmarks but nothing ever came of them.

Played it one more time, going straight Piety into Exploration, and then Rationalism and Freedom. I took Heathen Conversion for my reformation belief, and scouted-out the world with captured galleys and triremes on auto-explore. That missionary probably captured about 50 barbs; I kept the good units (privateers, a musket, rifles, GW infantries and Gatling guns) and gave the lesser ones away to CS's for influence. I didn't have to build much military myself until it was time for subs and missile cruisers. I eventually founded the world congress (took forever to find Morocco for some reason.) Got a science victory on turn 258, just slightly slower than with Tradition. I probably could have sped that up a bit by accepting some of the lopsided research agreements where the AI wanted me to give them all my iron or my horses. I did take a few where I gave them my last copy of a luxury and a little gold.

It was an interesting game; I was friends with everyone until right at the end. I think all the denouncements started around turn 240 when I proposed Historical Landmarks but nothing ever came of them.

That sounds pretty cool, I only once went for Piety and that was with that Anubis Mod. Heathen Conversion sounds like a lot of fun.

That sounds pretty cool, I only once went for Piety and that was with that Anubis Mod. Heathen Conversion sounds like a lot of fun.

It was a hoot. I used that missionary once to convert one of my cities, then took him near a barb camp to catch ships, being careful not to clear the camp but eventually I slipped. Much later in the game, took him to another camp up near the arctic and converted a *lot* of land units as well as ships. About half of the land units were able to embark (not sure why), and I brought the good ones that could embark home and gave the rest to CS's. Also had a privateer to capture galleys and gifted all of those. With the Arsenal of Democracy tenet, you get a lot of CS influence for each unit. It would be an easy way for a diplo victory.

BTW, heathen conversion is usually not worth it at higher difficulties because the AI's exterminate the barbs, but at king-level on a map like this they don't (or at least do a terrible job of it)

Top Bottom