TSG 231 After Actions Thread

vadalaz

Emperor
GOTM Staff
In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game.

Quick links: Upload submission | Announcement thread | Opening Actions

- Did you play peacefully or warlike?
- How many votes did you get on the final UN session?
- Was it difficult to ally New World city-states in time for the World Leader vote?
- Which Ideology did you choose?
- Did you get extra votes from World Ideology, World Religion or Forbidden Palace?
- How many cities did you have in the end and where did you settle them?

Last edited:
Diplomatic victory on the first vote, turn 329. That seems late; probably because I was so far ahead in tech nobody else was helping move things along. I entered the information era via Satellites with the Rationalism finisher. I built so many wonders! (22, I think) Eventually I built the Great Library even tho' I had a library because it was annoying me that nobody else was building it (I took Theology for the free tech.) The only wonder I was building and got beat was Colossus, and I wasn't trying all that hard for that one.

In the modern era I had Washington and Sukhothai building beakers because there was nothing else I needed, and when I researched Plastics I forgot to buy labs for at least 6 turns before I realized what happened. That probably slowed me down a few turns.

20231016101227_1.jpg 20231016101302_1.jpg
In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game.

Quick links: Upload submission | Announcement thread | Opening Actions

- Did you play peacefully or warlike?
- How many votes did you get on the final UN session?
- Was it difficult to ally New World city-states in time for the World Leader vote?
- Did you get extra votes from World Ideology, World Religion or Forbidden Palace?
I played mostly-peacefully. :lol: When I saw that Rammy was close-by (I hate that guy) and not well defended, I decided to take him out early with an archer rush after a little detour to build ToA. My spearman sacrificed himself (drawing fire so the city didn't shoot the archers) and one of my scouts captured the city. :) My first policy tree was Tradition, so I had to open Honor to delay Legalism until after i captured the city so I would get the free monument. But Honor turned out to be handy for finding barb camps and dealing with them. In the mid-game, Sejong asked me to war against Polynesia. I said "gimme 10 turns to get ready", mainly to make sure my scouts were out of the way. I sent a Minuteman over to watch the fighting but other than pillage a tile or two he didn't really participate. I took a city in the peace deal (it's just off the screen in the screenshot)

I got 42 votes of the 40 necessary. It looked like I was going to be just a little short so I made a mad dash for Globalism. Then I found a CS that I hadn't met yet, and sent a frigate and a submarine over to say hello, and immediately gave them 1000 gold. I did have Forbidden Palace but not the world religion or ideology. I easily could have had either of those, just never proposed them.

I almost always choose Freedom for my ideology, so I thought I would go Autocracy this time and use gunboat diplomacy. I also wanted the reduced unit maintenance. Because of the low difficulty, I did not take Futurism nor build any hotels, airport, or Eiffel Tower; I didn't want to get an accidental culture victory. I also didn't build the music guild until the information era. I don't think any of the AIs had an ideology.

It was very easy to ally all the new world city-states, gunboat diplomacy plus killing barb outposts got me most of them. I threw gold at the 2 or 3 that weren't impressed with my military; I'm sure if I sent a destroyer or battleship or marine over they would have come around but the gold was easier.

At the end I just had 4 cities; all of them in the old world. I planned to build a city in the new world but didn't see any places worth the effort. I settled Washington on the gems, next I captured Sukhothai, then settled New York on the southern coast way over to the west. Took Nuka Hiva (sp?) on the northern coast in a peace deal and eventually annexed it when I realized it was a decent city.

Last edited:
Diplomatic Victory turn 194

Picking up from the opening actions thread, I tried to keep growing as fast as possible. I took order for cheaper buildings and bought a few labs. I didn't need as many scientists as I thought and a couple of cities didn't produce one (or did so after Telecommunications). It took a while to find the last few city-states, but I had world religion and globalization, so was going to be okay. Here are a couple of milestone pictures:

Attachments

• Washington_0195 AD-1350.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 231_120 Printing Press.png
    231_120 Printing Press.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 231_158 Plastics.png
    231_158 Plastics.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 231_195 Triumph of American Diplomacy.png
    231_195 Triumph of American Diplomacy.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 231_104.png
    231_104.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
I've been having fun replaying this and trying different combinations. So far the best has been to fill both Tradition and Liberty. I need to open Honor, Patronage, Commerce, and Rationalism, but don't actually need many policies in any of those. The Exploration opener is good if I don't build the Great Lighthouse.

Ideology doesn't matter, but Freedom and Order are faster than Autocracy. (but autocracy was a lot of fun) Honor is mainly for dealing with barbs in the New World so it doesn't need to be taken early, and that's where most of my influence with the distant CS's comes from -- for free. Just destroy the encampments and return their captured workers. It's amazing how fast a new encampment pops up and I can start the whole thing over again.

I need to try this same setup at a little higher difficulty :) Prince, maybe.

Diplo victory on turn 376, I was one vote short on the first World Leader vote. First one of these I've played in YEARS. Played peacefully the first half then started eliminating most of the other civs. I paid the Celts to keep starting wars before I joined in. I took Rome, Sweden, Austria, and the Polynesian capitals, Celts took the Siamese capital. Was in the process of eliminating Korea when I won.

Again, an interesting game type (and difficulty level) for me to try out togther with you on this perennial site. Diplomatic win on turn 271.

I was a bit too nice with the AI, thinking that is a part of the diplomatic mind-set. But I took out Austria, who were being grumpy for no reason, when they had already been battered by Rome.

Then I realized that civs got angry because of my missionaries, when I aimed at world religion, especially Rammy, who was such a hypocrite during the whole game.

So, my religious pressure should have been more subtle, directed only to civs who didn't have their own religions.

I only managed to stay friends with Polynesia to the end. Not that it mattered so much. It was just my crazy idea of diplomacy.

Finding all the CS:s and huts was interesting, although the content of the huts mattered less and less - apart from the population increase one.

In all. interesting to play such an easy game for once. A happiness level of 184 isn't exactly what I'm used to. Regarding ideology, Freedom seems superior for a diplo game, because it means you can skip a lot of techs on the path to Globalization, eg Railroad, and still build the ideology specific wonder, Statue of Liberty. But the policies were generally more useful than the tenets.

My personal Diplomatic Victory curse struck again: I researched Telecommunications on turn 200, the exact same turn that a World Council vote was held. Had I got the technology 1 turn earlier, the next vote would have been the World Leader vote. However, I only got the necessary amount of Faith to buy a Great Scientist in turn 199, and had to wait until turn 200 to pop it. Thus the World Leader vote was delayed 35 turns, and I got the Diplo win turn 235.

The game was fairly easy, and fun until turn 200 :) I was peaceful most of the time except for a very early worker steal from Rome. Built lots of Wonders and grew my population. The last 35 turns I spent hunting barbs on the various new worlds/continents, and building some culture because there was nothing better to do.

Was allied with all the CS and had World Ideology (Order), for 46 votes in the UN.

Attachments

• tsg231 t235.png
    tsg231 t235.png
    4 MB · Views: 39
So many cities! T327 Diplo Victory, 44 votes out of 40 required for the victory.

Played peacefully except for the first war where Caesar asked me to go against Austria. Was so far ahead in tech that no one would dare attack me.

Easy, since I sent an admiral over early to discover the New World. And I built so many cities that I wasn't concerned about speed. In fact, I purposely delayed science so I'd have more time to found cities. That's the most fun part of Civ if you ask me, settling cities.

Spoiler Headed to the New World :
T139 Headed to the New World.jpg

Order. Seemed the best for a million citiy civilization.

Got World Religion and Forbidden Palace. I had so many cities under my religion I didn't even mind the AI sending prophets to convert my original cities - the even converted my capital.

Am I the only one who expanded to the new world? I ended up with 39 cities, my most ever! Settled them everywhere possible - but all were good cities; wasn't like I was doing ICS. Even with all those cities I've never had so much happiness; I guess that is from game difficulty because I didn't even build Coliseums until later in the game.

Spoiler Cities Graph :
Cities Graph.jpg

Here's the dates of my city founding:
Spoiler :

• T1 Washington
  • T36 New York
  • T42 Boston
  • T69 Philly
  • T117 Atlanta
  • T150 San Francisco, first city in the New World
  • T169 Seattle in the Old World. Chicago and LA in the new World
  • T175 Houston
  • T177 Portland
  • T186 St. Louis
  • T188 Miami
  • T193 Buffalo; on the shores of Lake Victoria
  • T199 Detroit, New Orleans
  • T201 Baltimore, Denver
  • (T202 - I got Order and had enough to get the extra pop on settling so I should have waited for Baltimore and Denver.)
  • T205 Cinci
  • T208 Dallas
  • T223 Cleveland, Kansas City
  • T225 San Diego
  • T227 Richmond
  • T228 Las Vegas
  • T231 Phoenix
  • T236 Albuquerque
  • T244 Minneapolis
  • T247 Pittsburgh
  • T261 Oakland
  • T263 Tampa Bay, Orlando
  • T266 Santa Fe
  • T268 Olympia
  • T275 Hunt Valley, not even sure where that is? There's a Hunt Valley, Maryland but that can't be it.
  • T291 Springfield (The Simpsons)
  • T297 Palo Alto
  • T315 Centralia

Whew, what a fun game!

Attachments

• T327 Diplo Victory.jpg
    T327 Diplo Victory.jpg
    581.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Northern Old World Expansion.jpg
    Northern Old World Expansion.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 23
  • North Eastern New World.jpg
    North Eastern New World.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 20
  • First New World Eastward Expansion.jpg
    First New World Eastward Expansion.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 21
Victory on Turn 267. Built 5 cities near the start, and stayed mainly peaceful. The only exceptions were stealing Sweden's first settler, and then much later in the game killing off their prophets. I'd forgotten this was a Terra map, so left Astronomy relatively late. I still managed to somehow beat Polynesia to the New World and, because I had far too much spare happiness floating around, decided to start spamming cities anywhere there was a luxury I didn't already have, or a useful strategic resource.

Got both world religion and ideology. Followed the top of the tech tree to Globalisation and won the first world leader vote with 48 votes.

Attachments

• gotm1.png
    gotm1.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
  • gotm.png
    gotm.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
Am I the only one who expanded to the new world? I ended up with 39 cities, my most ever! Settled them everywhere possible - but all were good cities; wasn't like I was doing ICS. Even with all those cities I've never had so much happiness; I guess that is from game difficulty because I didn't even build Coliseums until later in the game.
Yeah I was thinking about colonizing the new world before the game, but in the end my competitive side got the better of me and I went for a fast win. It was still fun though! If I have time I might try to go for lots of cities in a replay. But the next GOTM is due tomorrow so... we'll see :)

This is a fun one to play using full Honor instead of Tradition or Liberty, whether you go all warmonger-y with it or just kill barbs in the new world to fuel your economy. Or a little of both ;)

Second playthrough, I went Honor, right side first for the extra culture from Military Caste. Build order was scout, monument, shrine, archer, worker, Great Library. Then I built a few spearmen, composite bows, and a chariot archer and eliminated Siam. I puppeted his good cities and razed the crappy one (he forward-settled me with his first expo and put it in just the right place.) After I got my National College up I annexed them both. Sukhothai built Petra. I built the Oracle in Washington, then settled a couple of more cities. At this difficulty level, the annexed cities didn't need courthouses; happiness was fine without them. (eventually I built a courthouse in Sukhothai when its population reached 20-something, but happiness was still okay without it)

Before learning satellites, I captured everyone except Rome and had 26 cities (12 of mine, 14 captured) After that I captured 4 from 5 Roman cities and founded 54 new cities in the last 15 turns! (with 4 pop each) 1 settler was captured by barbarians and there are still about 10 places where i can establish cities (if I counted in advance how many settlers I needed in total, I could build them in time). As a result, at the end of the game I have 84 cities. Who will do more? )))

Before learning satellites, I captured everyone except Rome and had 26 cities (12 of mine, 14 captured) After that I captured 4 from 5 Roman cities and founded 54 new cities in the last 15 turns! (with 4 pop each) 1 settler was captured by barbarians and there are still about 10 places where i can establish cities (if I counted in advance how many settlers I needed in total, I could build them in time). As a result, at the end of the game I have 84 cities. Who will do more? )))
Wow, I'd like to see a screenshot of that map. I can't imagine that many cities!

Top Bottom