TSG114 After Actions

Almost forgot to upload as the website was down just when I finished playing. Don't remember much of the game by now but I know I was sloooow again. :)

- Did your preconceived strategy go as planned? If not, what adjustments did you make?
Yes, my strategy of SS and warmongering worked like a charm. In the end, I only had to take out Egypt and Shoshone for the win. I also took the last city from the Celts on my was across the map, but I could have left them to Attila because he didn't really need my help. The Celts would have succumbed to my tourism anyway. The Japanese started wearing my blue jeans a couple of turns after I took out the Shoshone for a turn 163 CV!
Spoiler :

Here is what the core of my empire looked like when I achieved victory.
Spoiler :

- Did your UU/UB play a big role? If so, how?
Not really. They were both nice, but did not make for a decisive victory. I could have just as easily taken the map with standard units upgraded from a standard barracks. Indeed, several cities were taken by a scout (had 4x promotions plus hill movement from Mt. Kilimanjaro) after being beaten down by ranged units.

- Describe your sources of tourism. How did you choose to influence other Civs?
A combination of SS and great works. I always choose two religious buildings for SS and never the mosque since I will get one mosque for free with the Great Mosque of Djenne. Nobamba was my cultural/tourism city with most cultural wonders and great works set up to provide the best themeing bonuses.

- In hindsight how would you have played it differently (if at all) for a faster finish?
I think I could have been quicker if I had researched Construction sooner for CB in my initial war with Egypt. This would have made for a quicker war, I could have started moving west sooner, and perhaps I could have achieved victory sooner. As Japan was only taken culturally after defeating the Shoshone, perhaps I couldn't have done it much faster without also warring with Japan. At turn 163, I was still in the Renaissance Era.
Spoiler :

I believe I finished this one for funsies at around 180, playing pretty much the same way. I think one should identify the potential runaway early and take them out before you lose too much time and use (annex) their cities for more culture. This is a 150ish game approx

I tried several times to do the Sacred Sites thing (I've never tried that before) and couldn't pull it off -- although I don't think I ever got both pagodas and cathedrals even when I rushed Stonehenge. By turn 180 or so, I would be way ahead in tourism and influential on most of the AI's, but too far behind in science and happiness and one of them would also be going culture and they'd start pulling ahead. Or else Attila would be the runaway and I'd spend all my effort just trying to defend against him.

I played it last night going straight Honor (right side first for Military Caste), open Patronage for a filler, filled Commerce, Order(8), and filled Rationalism, then started into Exploration. The first wonder I built was ToA, and it did its magic; I had the second highest population even w/o Tradition or Liberty. I pretty much beelined Internet, and went all-in on the Worlds Fair and International Games. Got a culture victory in turn 360 by basically feeding Shoshones (the other culture powerhouse) to Japan. I destroyed the Shoshones with my battleships, Japan captured them, when they captured the last city I won. I would have won in another 20 turns or so anyway when I got a Great Musician and had him do a concert tour from a destroyer.

I really don't understand how Sacred Sites ever works. I can see how it almost works.

I'm playing this one again. It's been long enough that I don't remember much about it, plus I've been playing more culture games lately. Turn 150 and I've settled 4 cities so far; all of them have mosques and something else (don't remember if it's cathedral or monastery.) I went Liberty (left side) then full Piety, now back to Liberty. I paused my settler spamming to build national college and grand temple, and to fight a war with the Huns, but will build at least 2 more settlers as soon as the grand temple finishes. I'll send the first to Kilimanjaro, then fill in behind it somewhere. National College is not in Ulundi, it's in one of my cities that has a mountain, river, and several fish tiles. I had a settler just standing around for 3 turns waiting for NC to finish so i wouldn't need that 4th library.

My other mountain city is almost finished building Machu Picchu. I don't think Egypt has a mountain, and everybody else is busy warring with someone or another, so I should get it. The only other wonders I've built were Oracle and the Pyramids.

Ideologies are still a long ways off, and I haven't decided which to take. Sacred Sites is working pretty well against everyone but Egypt. My plan is to get influential over everyone else and then DoW Egypt; finish them off with either military or great musicians (probably a little of both)

I did a better job of scouting this time (2 scouts) and found everybody pretty quickly, even Sweden and Shoshone. It was tough at first not opening Honor because the barbarians were fierce. One of my scouts and my warrior had to burn a promotion to heal instantly to stay alive. The Zulu faster-promotions UA is the only reason they survived.

Attila attacked the Celts pretty early but she held him off. That kept both of them occupied for a while. But after they settled peace, he was on my border with a bunch of HA's and rams. I was almost ready for him, but not really (Bulawayo was pretty exposed, had very little production, and was still building walls. I'd just finished Civil Service, and had 3 spears upgraded to Impi but no composite bows) I paid him to attack Egypt, and that kept him busy for 10 turns while I spammed Impi and upgraded my archers. I also denounced Attila, and everybody joined in.

Theodora asked me to join her in DoW'ing the Huns and I said yes. I had the 2nd largest military by now. I haven't seen any Byzantine units fighting; I was hoping Attila would attack her but he's only been fighting me (very ineffectively.) I just captured Attila's Court and managed to hold it, will be annexing it as soon as it comes out of resistance so I can buy 2 more faith buildings. I plan to capture and puppet one of his remaining cities, then liberate the cultural CS that he took, leaving him one city and no military. Someone else will probably kill him, I just hope they don't liberate that CS before I can get to it.

Top Bottom