1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG192 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 22, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG192 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.

- How useful was your UA?

- Did you use spying to your advantage?

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

- What techs did you prioritize ?

- What did you think of the map and settings?

2. foxsaid

foxsaid Chieftain

20200323043950.png Finised on T117, it's hard to reach the west.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I just finished it; 462 turns. I wanted to capture every single AI city. :mischief: And I wasted a lot of turns early on, waiting for a declaration of friendship to expire with Arabia after I captured Venice. (they seem to last forever at epic pace) I know that was stupid, since everyone was going to hate me anyway.

Social policies were Tradition opener, left side of Liberty, Honor opener (because the raging barbs), finish Tradition, right side of Honor, Rationalism, Order(6), finish Liberty (great musician for the finisher), then started working on Commerce.

I did use spies, but they were not significant.

Because of the difficulty I built way more wonders than I probably should have. Part of that was for lack of gold to maintain anything else.

20200322233438_1.jpg 20200322233400_1.jpg

4. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

@foxsaid: 117 turns? Was that your first play-through? It doesn't seem possible. How did you know to move you settler west so you could crowd Venice? It's still impressive even if you had advance knowledge of the map. I tried going Honor opener (because raging barbs) then straight Liberty, then building almost nothing but archers, and I couldn't take Venice in 100 turns -- Warsaw was too weak from not having a granary or watermill to really crank out the units fast enough.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  5. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I played it again; I figured out that the starting local is an awesome spot for a city, but not your capital -- it takes too long to get the work boats up and protected from barbs. I settled on the gems near Venice, quickly put my second city close to Mt Sinai, and settled close to the original position much later. It still took me over 300 turns to win, but the first half of the game went much faster. (took a long time to get to the Huns, while keeping barbs under control throughout my expanding empire.)

Venice was the only city that was hard to capture. I wonder if it's better to go after Arabia first, and then come back for Venice?

6. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

Okay, I've started this many times, trying to figure out what @foxsaid did. I move my settler west and settle on that first luxury (I think it's cocoa) just SE of the gems. It's a good location even w/o fresh water and the city grows quickly. Meanwhile my warrior.is exploring. I build a monument while researching archery, then crank out archers; and perhaps a scout. About the time of the first policy, I am being swarmed with barbs so I open Honor, then open Liberty. (perhaps I should ignore the barbs and go straight to Liberty) I declare war on Venice as soon as I can steal a worker. Keep building archers, and leveling them up by killing barbs. I use the free settler to settle on the cocoa up near Mt Sinai and buy the mountain tile. Work the mountain for a turn or 3 to get a pantheon, then work production tiles until I get a granary and watermill. Now the city can work Mt Sinai and still grow. This city just cranks out military units once it gets a few essential buildings.

But Venice is on a hill surrounded by jungle, and Enrico quickly builds walls (whether I declare war for the worker steal or not) It is just barely capturable with archers (really need 2 catapults, a horse archer, archers, and a spear, but it takes a long time to research and build those) and I lose several archers along the way. Now it's about turn 80, and it's not possible to travel all the way to Attila's Court in 40 turns even if every AI along the way surrendered when they saw me coming.

I know I'm not that great a player, and I get bogged down building unnecessary and expensive buildings (like a barracks, or early libraries) but I don't see how post #2 was even possible. I also haven't been tributing friendly city states; they like me for killing barbs and give me stuff, which seems more valuable than 60 or 70 gold. I'll tribute the hostile ones if I get a chance.

7. bobbobbybobbob

bobbobbybobbob Chieftain

223 Domination Victory, I missed out on raging barbs. Hah.. Well prince is not a challange. I had more problems with barbs than anything.

The best way to beat this map is probably just go chariots and horsemen. I had killed a bunch of city states for fun... yeah I played this one pretty bad tbh.

Turn 117 seems very good to me. Well done foxsaid!