TSG25 After Action Report

Dave's video is great - if only it didn't take so many hours to watch! :)

I forgot about the Great Library giving science points as well. Yeah, more than 10 turns.
That 30 culture from the first ruins is also a considerable boost - at a time that you're making 1 culture a turn!

All things considered, I'm quite happy with my game. Finished on turn 171, will file my report tomorrow.

All things considered, I'm quite happy with my game. Finished on turn 171, will file my report tomorrow.

That's pretty good counsidering you missed the GL. More i think about my game, more i think i should sell immediately capitals to the AI and not try to wandering around and killing units and try to keep the capital.

I lost way too much turns at trying to hold these capitals in the beginning. I even attacked a german city for ''nothing'' in return. With more tweaks i would probably finished under 210 turns but not that much because i reached Navigation pretty late(around turn 175).

My warfare was particulary bad. I also should have allied that 6 iron cs city. I realized that much later in the game, playing my turns too fast like always :p. I also dicsovered a lot of civs before navigation. Again, i didn't leverage that and i was sitting on a huge pile of :c5gold:. When i upgraded all boats, i was left with over 1000 :c5gold:! What a garbage move...

I'm waiting for the next GOTM and i will try to play more slowly.

cant really figure out why Dave isnt much slower then me in time to Navigation. My cap was WAY bigger also my 2nd and 3rd city were both size 3 soon.

And well I had way more units scouting/poping huts and farming xp - maybe even too many? Also I killed even 2 civs before Navigaton.

Maybe I put too much emphasis into City States, lot of the gold from ais went into CS - I know they are more like a nice to have as a really strong thing ...

Tommy, what size were your cities on turn 80? How did you keep them happy, since you had one city without luxuries? When did you start allying with City States and if early on, how did you pay for that?

I don't think Scouts were worth building in this game. Too vulnerable, and they can't conquer cities.

No RA's, no shortcuts

DOMINATION VICTORY
Turn 171
Score = 829
HOF = 3645

Iron Working comes in on turn 124 and it is revealed that we have two nearby sources of Iron, although York and Nottingham still haveto expand to get them. I wasn't worried, on Immortal there are plenty of opportunities to trade for it of get the resource from a CS. Still, it's always nice not to have to. :)

We begin grabbing Compass and some useful minor techs like Construction and Mathematics for happiness, waiting for the Hagia Sophia to get built. The Golden Age is even extended from 18 to 25 turns with a third Great General. They'd just get in the way anyhow.

Meanwhile, we have not been idle. A fleet of our four best Triremes sails north and we declare on Persia, which has the Colossus and The Pyramids. Persepolis falls in 9 turns. It is their only city. A massive bunch of units remains though, including two unused Settlers. For a long time, they do nothing, but eventually Persia settles a single new city. Cool! :crazyeye:

Turn 139 sees the wonder finished. We choose a Great Engineer, and rush the Porcelain Tower with it for a Great Scientist, which is spent on Astronomy. The tower gives science points as well. Come turn 145, London produces a new Great Scientist and we have Navigation. :D

Four of our Triremes in the north get upgraded right away. Eventually, of a grand total of ten ships, five develop logistics, which is a great help as they get to come in for two rounds of fire, and move out of reach again on the same turn.

After the first upgrades, the difference is immediately clear. Ships of the Line typically do 3-5 points of damage per round, instead of 1. Beijing falls quickly, and the first fleet sails southeast. :)

A second, mixed fleet of five ships sails east towards Greece. Athens falls quickly, also because they have no ranged units, but Paris is another story. It is hard to reach, and there is a gauntlet of two French cities, both with Archers, to move past. Paris is still taken without losses, but the ships are damaged and need time to heal. :mad:

The first fleet has no such problems. Istanbul falls immediately, the limiting factor now becomes how fast we can get a land unit over to enter these capitals. Berlin and Mecca follow. However, we have to reduce their massive armies to make them refrain from any counter attack. :hammer:

On turn 160, London produces a tenth Ship of the Line. It doesn't see much action. Four turns later, a swimming Pikeman (our intial Warrior!) finally discovers Japan. They are sitting on over 1600 gold - quite useless now - and think they are alone on the planet. :D

Meanwhile, from Mecca to Gao is just a couple of turns, and Sukhotai ias attacked next with one ship remaining for the final kill. Land units bought in annexed Beijing arrive in the northeast just in time; Persepolis sent some west. The second fleet from Paris speeds past Thebes. Both fleets send ships to Rome and Kyoto.

There is no need to sell some of the conquests to an alternative AI. We keep up in happiness by buying courthouses and colosseums.

The fat lady sings on turn 171 when the last four capitals fall together. :king:

Egypt had a War Chariot on nearly every tile; this way, we didn't need to bother with those. Our initial Warrior made the final kill at Kyoto. :mischief:

Notes
I was somewhat surprised by the ease of the conquest. Had I know beforehand, I could have finished several turns earlier. I also made an error by not starting on the Hagia Sophia right away, as I had intended by selecting Theology before Civil Service. I simply forgot about the importance of the science points from the Porcelain Tower, and it could have given me Navigation a number of turns earlier. And the Ottomans could have been conquered by land units. It just didn't seem true to the game. Finally, I tried a variety of promotions after logistics, but the only useful one appeared to be mobility.

Maybe I'll replay from turn 112. :)

Turns 123-171

Policies
139 Commerce
164 Naval Tradition

Cities
139 Persepolis
148 Beijing
152 Istanbul
154 Athens
157 Berlin
164 Paris, Mecca
167 Gao
171 Thebes, Sukhotai, Rome, Kyoto

Allies
154 Bucharest (Whales, 2 Iron)

Technology
124 Iron Working
133 Compass
135 Construction
136 Archery
137 The Wheel
139 Mathematics
140 Astronomy (GS) :goodjob:
141 Horseback Riding
145 Navigation (GS) :king:
147 Metal Casting
152 Currency
157 Engineering
164 Chivalry
171 Machinery

London
130 Trireme 350g
137 Great General #3
139 THE HAGIA SOPHIA, Great Engineer
140 THE PORCELAIN TOWER
145 Harbor
154 Workshop
160 Ship of the Line, Great General #4
164 Colosseum
168 Aqueduct

York
128 Workboat
134 Workboat
146 Harbor
151 Horseman 520g
156 Colosseum
160 Archer
164 Archer

Nottingham
128 Circus
153 Harbor
164 Colosseum
170 Granary

Hastings
128 Workboat
134 Workboat
145 Harbor
149 Workboat
155 Workboat
160 Workboat
168 Colosseum

That's a lot of workboats! why all these? To explore? If yes, how to not let them engulfed by barbs galleys?

I built 14 triremes before navigation, no one were rush buyed. I guess i should rush buy them instead...

How many ships did you have on turn 80, and what did the civs get for their gold?

I am sure they got a DoW for their gold ;)

And scouts make a great conquerors, mine took five or six caps before being caught in zone of control and run over by Japanese trireme.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 25
Date submitted: 2011-12-15
Reference number: 25334
Your name: golem
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1570AD
Turns played: 334
Base score: 644
Final score: 1463
Time played: 16:01:00
Submitted save: Elizabeth_0334 AD-1570.Civ5Save
Renamed file: golem_C502501.Civ5Save

I have finally finished, but was very near to defeat. The last fifteen turns I was shooting french cannons, musketeers, riflemens. The cities and all new units were pretty strong in the end. My science was already very bad, so I was happy to win.
I have to say I learned on this game really a lot, for me first immortal, first large and first epic.

wonder If Dave gonna read this but:
how u make those Videos?
I got fraps - but the files are allways just like 5-10 minutes (then new ones start) and HUGE (like 2-5gb each)

Hey tommy, i learned from him here :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11107124&postcount=41

I wonder if it's possible to get a better image and less lag like Madjinn or wainy's videos. I made some for testing purposes and for each hour recorded i get a 800mb file(200mb for each 15 min played). If i record for like 3 hours, it will give me around 2.5 gb of files.

The quality and lagging are similar to Dave's videos. It's all free, so maybe Madjinn and wainy bought better softwares to get high quality.

Dave's CamStudio is free but fraps is 37$ and is generally considered best recording software and used extensively by FPS players for example.
You can reduce size by lowering fps from 60 to 30 and also you easily merge the movies with some editing software like Windows Movie Maker (free) after you finish. Editing software also compress the movie so the size will be significantly reduced.

Ok thanks! Didn't know that FRAPS was a software itself. I will try to compress files like you suggest.

Some masterful playing. The only problem that I have is that it just doesn't feel like empire building, with all of the capital sniping and re-selling of cities to negate unhappiness. It would be nice if these challenges could also be scored based on empire building and having a fully functional and inter-connected empire at the finish. Obviously this would take many more turns, and would be more difficult to judge quantitatively.

The games posted (like Dave McW's video) really show the deficiency of the AI on a water-based map. The AI plays like it is on a pangaea. They really need to build a much larger navy for defense (actually ANY navy would be a good start). Also, they need to fix it so that you can't cap a city with a 1 hit point scout.

Well, I didn't sell any of the conquered capitals, but annexed them and built or bought courthouses. :)

I replayed some turns from turn 111 and by starting on the Hagia Sophia right away I managed to get Navigation on turn 140. The end should come around turn 163.

Domination Victory Game date: 1320AD
Turns played: 285
Base score: 1085
Final score: 2932

I managed to complete over numerous short sessions between Xmas eating and drinking! My effort seems feeble compared to the elite victors, but I am delighted with it. After dealing with Ottomans and securing lots of iron, SotlL TF1 conquered Germany, Arabia, Siam, Songhai, while TF2 conquered Greece, Egypt, Persia and China. They met for a D-day assault on Rome (my major competitor in score), which turned out to be a damp squib, then down through Japan and finally France. I succeeded in my goal to take and hold all capitals, although I sold off some minor cities. Barb ships (esp Caravels) were an irritation, but otherwise no real problems. I ended up with several mega-promoted SotL which blasted all before them, but am still not aggressive enough during early warfare.
Thanks for the excellent (if long and large) game. All the best for 2012!

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    Civ5Screen0002.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 63
Turn 133 Navigation.
Turn 177 Domination.

Link to video.

I tried replaying Dave's game. I am kind of a noob, so it took me some time to figure out what he is doing in all of the trade screens. If you follow everything he does, the game will replay exactly including all the AI interactions during their turns. Unfortunately, I ran up against my bedtime at turn 102 on Saturday. If you reload a save, for sure a save after exiting the game completely, the game starts to deviate from what Dave recorded. I ran into problems about turn 105 when I resumed. Somehow, my RA's didn't proc like Dave's did, because ended up 2 turns short on Education, so my Porcelain Tower missed two RA's and I ended up 8 turns short on Compass after the last RA.

I will try to just finish the game from my bastard version of turn 136 or just wait until I have a really free long day to start from scratch.

One request for Dave: Whenever you have a trade that you are going to accept, please pause for a couple of seconds with your mouse over the accept button, so the noobs can see what is in the window. The tiny numbers are hard to read and impossible when you are clicking like lightning.

Otherwise, these videos are a great way to learn the mechanics of the game.

Thanks!

Balibar

Top Bottom