TSG66 After Action thread

Glory,

I am trying to repeat your 187T culure victory but have trouble to.

1. What did you spend your money on? Boats? Settlers? CS?
2. I noticed that you did not have any great music work? Did you spent all GMs on concerts?
3. You chose to delay radio to get archeology. Was the motivation to get more artifacts?

Any other tidbits you might remember?

Glory,

I am trying to repeat your 187T culure victory but have trouble to.

1. What did you spend your money on? Boats? Settlers? CS?
2. I noticed that you did not have any great music work? Did you spent all GMs on concerts?
3. You chose to delay radio to get archeology. Was the motivation to get more artifacts?

Any other tidbits you might remember?

1. I bought one settler - I got spear and archer ruin upgrade and got lots of tributes. Other than that, I did not rush buy any buildings - simply did not have enough cash. The only gold building I made was market at cap. I spent some money on CS I think.

2. I never make great music work. You get GMs only for concerts. In this game, I only needed one. Usually 3-4 GMs (1-2 from faith) work.

3. You should get archaelogy asap and get archaelogists asap. Make 5-6 without even thinking and send them to nearest sites. Ignore your neighbors' complaints. You need to fill all slots at your cap and maybe expos later too. Getting early radio does not help much.

My second game in BNW and first cultural. I tried to easy learn something so went OCC. Game was far from ideal, however surprised me quite a quick victory. I was able to push through my religion as world religion on world congress what was really helpful (50% more tourism in Holy City). I think new CV is much better and fun. :)

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 190
I must say I quite enjoyed this game, I thought it will be continents like last one, but archipelago made it even easier with sacred sites with more spots for cities.
I am not an ICS type at heart, quite the opposite, I think this was my only ICS game in five versions of the game and it was fun. :cool: I still ended up with size 10 cap and another city at 9, and most of my cities at 3 pop. With pagodas and mosques it was easy to have happiness for them.

In the end I was limited by fpt as I still had settled cities with religion but no faith to purchase buildings. And few more cities without faith. I never DoWed anyone, relying on trade routes and OB to increase my tourism.

I think monasteries and mosques are the way to go, as faith was limiting factor. But then I would have to stop the growth ;)

I hope it doesn't get nerfed, the way BNW works it's the only reason to go ICS, and for real culture games this won't work on immortal and on continent type maps with other civs.

Your name: Melofeign
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1765AD
Turns played: 263
Base score: 1699
Final score: 3267
Time played: 21:23:00

I got caught in the middle between trying sacred sites and going for a "normal" CV. Decided on SS, but didn't figure out the advantages I had for growth so took quite a while to get the ball rolling. Morocco started to run away with culture, so I got to Frigates and slowed him down, then eliminated him just as Brazil fell under my sway.

I am not much of an ICS person, and I could not keep from trying to grow some cities. I believe I needed to use internal trade routes better as well as expand faster to s hore up my finish time. Fun game, I like the Poly seafaring, but still have issues trying to decide when Statues are worth it, especially since culture isn't necessary for a cultural victory.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 66
Date submitted: 2013-08-11
Reference number: 29482
Your name: willardgrant
Game date: 1680AD
Turns played: 246
Base score: 1130
Final score: 2306
Time played: 3:52:00
Submitted save: Kamehameha_0246 AD-1680.Civ5Save
Renamed file: willardgrant_C506601.Civ5Save

First BNW Cultural Victory for me.
As mentioned before in this thread I tried the Sadato Sacred Sites strategy.
Pantheon was Religious Idols and beliefs were Church property, Pagodas, Mosques.
I totally settled 21 cities.
The capital wonders were Pyramids, Oracle (hard built) and Sistine, Uffizi (rushed by GE).
Didn't fight any wars at all, I only built 5-6 units. All civs were from neutral to friendly.
No culture runaway civ existed, Morocco was the last one surpassed.

CULTURAL VICTORY
Turn = 121 (that's the 'turn after')
Score = 3637 (HOF)

The game has certainly changed, but I think the Sacred Sites Reformation is too much. I won't play like this again.

My original thought was to keep most cities at size one and maybe have two Golden Ages, but that was thwarted by all the survivors we picked up... :p

Never for the capital though, except on turn 1.

Brazil and Poland were ahead of the others but in the end that amounted to just 2 turns more to catch them too. I had cities on their doorstep for trade routes. It did not compensate for the time to get them there. Lots of stuff was built or done without much consequence. It all just went so fast. :scan:

Religion
30 Religious Idols
53 Initiation Rites, Mosques
81 Sacred Sites
91 Monasteries, Itinerant Preachers

Policies
12 Liberty
20 Republic
30 Collective Rule
44 Piety
54 Organized Religion
67 Mandate of Heaven
81 Religious Tolerance
81 Reformation (Oracle) -> Sacred Sites
99 Theocracy
117 Citizenship :p

Trade routes
58 Caravan (Indonesia)
84 Caravan (Indonesia) continued
110 Caravan disbanded

106 Cargo Ship (Shoshone)
117 Cargo Ship (Poland)
118 Cargo Ship (Brazil)

Cities
1 Honolulu (on Silver)
34 Samoa (on Silver, island south of Honolulu)
40 Tonga (on Silver and working another, small island east)
48 Nuku Hiva (on Silver, Indonesia continent)
50 Raiatea (on hill at Rock of Gibraltar working Silver)

This was the initial setup, would have settled on the Gold as well had I found it. Honululu is now building Stonehenge with one Settler on the way to start a secondary circle.

64 Aotearoa (on Gems at King Solomon's Mines)
70 Tahiti (on inland hill north of Honolulu, for Ivory)
85 Hilo (small Incense island between Indonesia and Morocco)
85 Te Wai Pounamu (on Marble, tundra Island beyond Rock of Gibraltar)
89 Rapa Nui (1-tile Truffles Isle west of Rock of Gibraltar)
92 Tuamotu (island immediately west, never got the time to fill it with Moai statues)
97 Rarotonga (on Gems working another, small isle south of Indonesia)
97 Tuvalu (on Gold behind Sydney)
100 Tubuai (on hill at Gems sw of King Solomon's Mines)
101 Mangareva (on Copper, island beyond Sydney)
103 Oahu (next to Salt, small isle south of Brazil)
106 Kiritimati (next to Dyes on Copper isle)
111 Ontong Java (with Crabs, south of Poland)
111 Niue (1-tile Incense isle se of Brazil)
112 Rekohu (on Incense se of Morocco)

That's 20. :)
Could have been more (and a faster game still) if the Shoshone and Portugal hadn't grabbed all the Wines.

Honolulu
Spoiler :
1 Founded, =2 (ruins) :)
6 Monument
10 Scout
18 Worker
24 Worker 310g
25 Granary
28 =3, Scout
31 Maori Warrior (barbs invading from the north)
36 Settler
41 Settler
43 Stone Works 320g :goodjob:
45 Settler
49 Settler
51 Shrine
53 =4, Great Prophet #1 (Taoism) :king:
62 =5, STONEHENGE :nuke:
65 Temple
67 Mosque 160f
68 Settler
69 Missionary 160f
70 Library
75 =6
79 Missionary 160f
81 ORACLE :goodjob:
83 =7
84 Circus
87 Settler
90 Settler
91 Great Prophet #2 (enhance Taoism) :king:
92 Settler
95 Settler
98 Settler
99 Great Prophet #3 (Piety tree)
101 Monastery 120f
103 =8
105 Stable
108 =9
109 Amphitheater (bringing 'Oedipus, the King') :mischief:
112 Colosseum, WLTKD (Crab)
113 =10
116 Cargo Ship
117 =11, Worker (Citizenship)

Aotearoa (second circle)
Spoiler :
64 Founded at King Solomon's Mine
67 Shrine
72 Granary
74 =2, Worker 310g
76 Temple
79 Monument
82 =3
83 Maori Warrior, Taoism (missionary)
85 Mosque 160f
87 =4 (ruins) :)
90 Settler
97 Settler
102 WLTKD (Copper)
103 Settler
109 Monastery 120f
117 PETRA :king:
119 =5

Technology
Spoiler :
9 Animal Husbandry
17 Pottery
24 Mining
35 Masonry
40 Writing (ruins)
43 Calendar
62 Philosophy
72 Drama and Poetry
74 Sailing
76 Trapping
78 Bronze Working
81 Optics
82 Archery
84 The Wheel
89 Construction
93 Horseback Riding
97 Mathematics
103 Curency
112 Civil Service
120 Theology

nice game. I didn't really expect sub130, nor early 120s...

one quick question: how did you get religion at t53? I assume you had faith ruin to get pantheon, and it took 23 turns for you to get GP. You had no faith generation except pantheon till t51 when you got shrine. Numbers seem odd to me.

one more: t67 mosque and t69 missionary? it seems that you delayed at least one of them (as there's no way that you got 160 faith in 2 turns )- any special reason?

That was fun. Second win, first emperor.

- What did you think of the new Culture VC?
I love it, especially in contrast with the old one.

- How many cities did you build? How many did you end up with?
I built 4 cities. Ended up with 4-5 puppets

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage given BNW? Are these element more of a factor, or less?
Religion I didn't use much. Holy city in the cap with Hermitage bonus was nice, but I don't like sacred sites spam. Sorry.

- What Social Policies and Ideologies did you select and how did they support your goals?
Full Tradition, Exploration, opened Commerce, Full Aesthetics, left side of Rationalism, and everything else into freedom.

- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
Pretty well. Only fought one war the whole game. Morocco DOWed me, and caught me off guard. It was close, but I managed to repel his invading navy, then discovered 2 things I didn't know previously:
1) As Polynesia, your ironclads can cross ocean tiles (upgraded from triremes/caravels)
2) Melee ships can cancel cities.

I made slow progress toward him till flight was discovered on my way to airports. Once I hit bombers, I wiped him out. Left him 2 tiny cities. He was still the last one I got influential with. I thought Brazil was going to be a problem, but he chopped down all of his jungles for some reason.

- Were your UA and UU helpful in achieving your goals?
Yes. Well, not the UU, but the UA was definitely very helpful. Besides the obvious, see above re: ironclads.

- Were any AI runaway's in your game?
Not even pocatello

Attachments

• 2013-08-11_00002.jpg
    2013-08-11_00002.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 130
nice game. I didn't really expect sub130, nor early 120s...

one quick question: how did you get religion at t53? I assume you had faith ruin to get pantheon, and it took 23 turns for you to get GP. You had no faith generation except pantheon till t51 when you got shrine. Numbers seem odd to me.

one more: t67 mosque and t69 missionary? it seems that you delayed at least one of them (as there's no way that you got 160 faith in 2 turns )- any special reason?
We were fortunate to pop a total of 3 faith ruins in this game: 1x 30f and 2x 60f. Far from the most frequent result, but they helped.

The Mosque had to wait a few turns for the 20% reduction policy. :)

I thought it was tough. I generally win by domination or science unless I'm trying a specific victory condition from the start. Like most of my games, there was a decent amount of war. I expanded quite a bit, so that resulted in Indonesia bringing missionaries to my cities fairly often, so we denounced each other a few times. I eventually got tired of it and declared war, wiping him off the earth and sticking me with being a warmonger to some others for the rest of the game.

I built quite a few ciites. Ended up with 27 when it was all said and done, with me building a little over half I'd guess. I conquered all of Indonesia, most of Portugal, and took a few of Morocco's cities at the end.

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage given BNW? Are these element more of a factor, or less?
I tried to get my religion the most dominant, but ended up only spreading it to myself, Assyria, and Poland. I was struggling against the Shoshone for a lot of the game when it came to religion.

- What Social Policies and Ideologies did you select and how did they support your goals?
Filled out liberty first, followed by aesthetics and exploration. My ideology was order, which was a no-brainer given the number of cities I had. Unfortunately, only Assyria and Portugal joined me in that regard, which made diplomacy tough in the end.

Assyria was my friend the entire game, and helped keep the Shoshone occupied, especially in modern wars when I was preoccupied with Portugal and Morocco. I was friendly with everyone I wasn't at war with up until Ideology picking, when everyone who didn't go order started slowly hating me more and more. By the end everyone but Assyria was guarded, but it didn't matter at that point.

Extremely helpful. The early exploration was huge when it came to getting the best land early. I put Maoi statues on everything that wasn't a resource, so I had lots and lots of culture. This hurt my production early on, but I ended up with solid production once factories came around. Ended up with 28 social policies, 10 of which in the Order ideology.

Morocco was the runaway culture hog. I had to bombard him with quite a few musicians once I got the Internet. Also, I learned the hard way that the musician's strength is determined when he shows up, so I incorrectly spent all my faith on musicians before Internet and cost myself another 15 turns or so.

Spoiler :

Game date: 760AD
Turns played: 148
Base score: 894
Final score: 3082
Time played: 4:24:00

like so many others, i also had the idea to try the Sacred Sites city spam approach and had around 20 cities in the end. Portugal, Brazil and the Shoshone all grabbed wonders and had a high culture output, but i managed to catch up with Pedro and Pocatello and invaded Lisbon. it was a fun game, but i think i will play my gotm culture games without Sacred Sites from now on. feels too much like cheating...

Date submitted: 2013-08-12
Reference number: 29489
Your name: strake
Game date: 1923AD
Turns played: 343
Base score: 2061
Final score: 3030
Time played: 15:50:00
Submitted save: tsg66 win_0343 AD-1923.Civ5Save
Renamed file: strake_C506601.Civ5Save

This one turned into a weird game.
I started off planning 3 cities tall, push science for a while, and then focus on tourism in the mid game.

Started off smoothly enough, capital going nicely, 2nd city on the 2 luxuries north of antwerp, 3rd city on the little island west of the capital planning to line up some maoi. Ran 3-4 Cargo ships with food for a while, to boost all the 3 cities population for a bit. Built a stonehenge when I was 4th to a pantheon, that got me 1st to religion, spent some time pushing the religion. I was getting culture from the faithful, and managed to keep 12-15 cities under my religion for most of the game. Went Tradition and then Piety, took Sacred sites actually, as it was the most interesting of the Reformation beliefs remaining.

Then the problems started. got some trade routes plundered, made some boats, got attacked by Indonesia, fought him off, started to put some great works in place, checked the culture page, and went crap. There's no way I'm dealing with brazil and Indonesia in a reasonable time frame. Decided to Tech for frigates, built a handful of frigates with a couple pirates to capture. Took Indonesia's cap, went after Brazil's cap, (took way too long those hills blocked his capital well from the water), recovered from both of those. got my happiness squared away, was especially pleased with the 7 new wonders and a few extra great works.

Checked culture again, and that looked better. Decided to go after morocco since I had the frigate advantage at the moment, and his religion was starting to take over the world. That went smoother, I had a couple range 3 frigates by that point. Thought about taking on the Shoshone at that point, but decided to try and keep the whole world from declaring me a warmonger at that point. Plus they were still my friends and I didn't want to backstab. Next 30 years were quiet building, was starting to set up my tourism nicely, a couple hotels in key cities. a few nice Moai clusters, flipped my first civ with tourism, and then Bam.

Denounce
Denounce
DoW, DoW, DoW, DoW, Dow (5 civs attacked me over the span of 3 turns.)
Only Assyria and Poland were even willing to still talk to me.

World was a mess, Brazil wanted Rio back badly, Morroco and Indonesia also went all out to reclaim their caps, and meanwhile my troops are scattered and not really all that formidable, and mostly not upgraded. Luckily, I had recently got the tech for subs, so my big cities all kicked out a sub in the next 4-8 turns, and they went around clearing the water. I'm not sure anyone but Assyria had a cargo ship for a long stretch there. So after 20 turns spent clearing the oceans, I had managed to defend all 3 of the Caps. Two of them got below 50% for a while, but the walls stood. So I parked my range 3 double shot frigates outside the capital of Shoshone (since he started the war as soon as our DoF finished) and made him pay for that mistake.

By the time I had captured what was now my 4th Cap, everyone else was willing to take a peace. In fact, most of them offered additional cities, I took extra cities for as long as my happiness lasted. Near the end of this war, the world council started the international games, which I decided to put a lot of hammers towards.

So I was now a very long way from my mind my own business in my 3 tall cities approach. It worked out though, since after taking all the capitals of the high culture civs, I had most of the wonders, relocated all the great works to my hotel cities, and hosted the International Games - sent out some musicians after the war was over, and finally won.

All in all, it was a fun and interesting game. Especially when I had to fight off most of the map. Lots of things I would do different in retrospect, but I'm learning.

Date submitted: 2013-08-15
Reference number: 29506
Your name: dashwinner
Game date: 1969AD
Turns played: 389
Base score: 2686
Final score: 3488
Time played: 8:08:00
Submitted save: TSG66_Victory_turn_389.Civ5Save
Renamed file: dashwinner_C506601.Civ5Save

Wow haha, i'm almost embarrassed to post this, seeing how quickly some other people won the game. I made a lot of mistakes during the game. For one, taking tradition when I settled 9 cities. Ignoring piety. Ignoring the modifiers for the culture game. Going freedom when everyone was order. But I had fun. Owned half the map and was generating 1450 culture per turn by the end. Maoi spammed all my puppets.

I like it. Although there are certain things that I have to keep in mind. I managed to get every AI on the map to hate me eventually, which meant when I tried to send my musicians to gain me some tourism, the AI wouldn't allow open borders, even when I offered them 8+ luxes.

Built 9. There were way too many decent spots, and thanks to early exploration, and with a GnK mindset, I wanted to settle them before the AI did. I should have remembered that they now like to stick to 3-4 cities until Industrial. Ended up taking Indo's island, as well as the Shosone's.

Spying early to steal techs, although I was quickly tech leader once all my cities' science started kicking in. Pantheon for the silver, which helped early, then for tithe and happiness, although happiness was never really an issue, thanks to all the unique luxes I had.

Here's where I messed up. Went tradition but settler-spammed. Went religion but no piety. My culture was incredible thanks to maois all over the place, but I still had the old mindset. I thought it would help for the victory but hotels and airports come in quite late to actually make an impact. Manage to complete 5 different policy trees, as well as dig up artifacts all over the place.

They pretty much all hated me by the end. Started off as a huge love fest, as usual, but Indonesia declared war on me and I liked the look of his island, so took all three cities he had there. Same thing happened with the Shosone. I left them both a city each, but the new way warmongering is calculated meant soon enough everyone hated me. Well everyone but Portugal, who was busy taking over the whole world. By the end we had the whole map split in two between white and orange.

I don't think I used a single maori, although as stated before I definitely maoi spammed everywhere that had 3+ connected tiles. I was generating a LOT of culture, but that did not translate into faster culture win, unfortunately.

Portugal. She took out morocco, and left all the other civs with 1-2 city. I had better science than her in the end, and since I had the Shoshone's lands, it was an easy sail towards her capitAl had a chosen to do it, but by that point I was trying to see the end through.

389 is really slow, especially for an emperor game. I guess I don't really have the culture game down yet. Could have won much quicker with domination. The Shoshone and brazil were generating a lot of culture to counter my tourism.

Attachments

• 2013-08-16_00001.jpg
    2013-08-16_00001.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 2013-08-16_00002.jpg
    2013-08-16_00002.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2013-08-16_00003.jpg
    2013-08-16_00003.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2013-08-16_00004.jpg
    2013-08-16_00004.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 2013-08-16_00005.jpg
    2013-08-16_00005.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 112
While this is certainly not the first GotM I've played, it is the first I've not got bored partway through, and won, and submitted. The new late game mechanics added in BNW have done wonders for holding my interest later in the game. Anyway, I went on to a turn 316 culture victory. I found I had quite a few crashes in this game, and I tried to replay the autosaves as close as I could on the occasions before I wised up and set autosaves to every turn. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up enough to get my submission disqualified.

I really like the new culture system. Although I didn't do it this game, I like the ability to expand beyond 4 cities as 5 or 6 is more my comfort level. I also like the small jigsaw puzzle element with great works.

I settled 4 cities. Two on the islands just to my south, and one north on the copper/dyes island. I did find that those locations struggled a fair bit with food, although at least some of the problem was my choices of settling location. I missed a couple fish due entirely to poor choices. I expect the small number of cities and relatively small sizes slowed me down quite a bit.

I pushed religion fairly hard, at least for me. Founded first, enhanced second by only one turn, and grabbed sacred sites and two religious buildings although I spent so long on missionaries that it wasn't as effective as it could have been. I did manage to convert Brazil, Asyria, and Poland to my religion, and even had one of them push it into world religion status so I didn't have to take the anger from the other nations. I mostly ignored spying, stealing only a few techs before switching to diplomats which I then proceeded to not take advantage of.

I finished Tradition, then Piety, then Aesthetics, and then grabbed a few random policies before heading into freedom. I tried to keep the ideology late so as to match the civ I needed the most culture with, but even skipping factories and putting off radio as long as I felt I could netted me the first ideology pick. Ah well.

Great. There were a few wars but never with me, and the majority of the world had friendship agreements and open borders with me for the whole game.

I've never played Polynesia before, and boy do I love that UA. I'm not sure how helpful it was past a little early game scouting, but it is very nice to have sight and ocean access when embarked. I was a little skeptical about the advantages of Moai compared against just farming or mining, but I decided to go all in on my capital island. If nothing else, it looked great, and provided a lot of culture, but I still feel I might have benefited more from farms. My science was poor, so I didn't get hotels up much before winning and was unable to capitalize on the free tourism that way.

Nope, everything was fairly balanced.

I finished this game in t265.
I also used Sacred Sites for the first time.
I will try to get a quick sacred sites win next.
The game was very fun to play, Kamehame on archipelago map and very stupid AI on this map makes this a easy walkthrough.

Yeah its ok, I like it better than the old.
They have to fix the musicians needing open borders and sacred sites somehow (perhaps activate it in a certain era)

I built 10 cities, because I got scared to be too slow in tech

I was first in tech when spies got active, so I mostly used them to get my world congress votes.
My Religion spread all over the world, the others where very small. That gave my a nice income of about 70gpt at the end.
Sacred Sites are broken.

I went Liberty, Piety, Aecthetics, Freedom.

The game was very peaceful, only in turn 260 Portugal declared war on Marocco.
The AIs where very weak and didnt have more than 3 cities in average with noone being superior to the others.

Yeah, I had the whole AIs and CS fixed down before they had caravels.
For this map the UA is too strong imo.

No, all progressing very slowly and peaceful.

I believe liberty is a bad start for sacred sites, you want to win asap, and liberty will delay it, by a lot, you will be forced to build a lot of culture building, and you will enhance later.

I went right into piety, and nothing else.

Started with monument, as I almost never get culture in gotm for some unlucky reason, and I was sure I could get almost the same number of ruins 8 turn later.
From there I only built shrines, temples, scouts (stole 1 worker).

Was very unlucky with the ruins first (Map, upgrade) but from t-20->46 i have found 2 60 faith shine, helping me with around 10 turn closer to victory. (t46 religion, +100 gold, Mosque)
Then I got very unlucky again 0 faith shrine for my mosques.
Enhanced with piety GP (Monastery (cheaper than the others), +30%range)

Spent some money to culture CS to have SS faster.

I gifted may resources to make sure I did not get attacked, in retrospect it might have been more efficient, if I would spend it to pay the culture leaders to wage wars, so they do not build more culture buildings.

At the end, I had around 18 city, pop 3 cap, 2-3 pop 2, and pop 1 the rest.
I also build writers guild for nothing, but it was pretty much over already, so +1 city would not have been more helpful.

A good move for this map would be not picking up any ruin, until you have a pantheon, to get as many +60 faith as you can, to get religion rolling.

while the UA was very useful, I did not build any moai at all.

Date submitted: 2013-08-21
Reference number: 29548
Your name: Arilian
Game date: 475AD
Turns played: 134
Base score: 629
Final score: 2419
Time played: 1:44:00
Submitted save: Kamehameha_0134 AD-0475.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Arilian_C506601.Civ5Save

I played a few practice games to get used to the new culture victory. love the new culture victory (without sacred sites). seems like sacred sites breaks it though. In my practice games I managed to get some early faith ruins, so in this game I didn't worry about building a shrine at the start. wouldn't you know in this game I had zero faith ruins all game, so I was slow to get religion going.

opened monument, scout, scout
t58 religious idols
t60 stonehenge
t72 parthenon (mostly I build this as a way to deny it and the +4 culture from another civ)
t73 initiation rites and mosques
t97 Oracle and sacred sites
t?? enhanced religion sometime later (no big hurry, but I missed getting monasteries and pagodas, had to settle for cathedrals)

Monaco and Poland were the last to convert, but not really runaways.

At one point one of my cities south of Indosesia converted to their religion and I had the opportunity to buy a monastery under their religion, and when I converted the city back to my own religion it started producing tourirm along with the mosque and cathedral.

fun game, thanks leif!

Alright, this is not only my first GOTM and my first attempted cultural victory, but also my first game using BNW, so was still getting to grips with the new game mechanics.

Overall I thought it was a good scenario to get to grips with the tourism mechanic, but I found that due to the relatively low difficulty, and the island map (which the AI tends to struggle with at the best of times) means that the AI was never really much of a threat.

Much better than the previous CV, as I believe it allows more varied approaches for a CV (although being a warmonger at heart, it is probably still my least favourite victory).

Only built 6 cities - probably should have expanded a bit more aggressive

I founded a religion very early due to some faith ruins, but never spent the time to spread it - in hindsight, I should have either pumped out some missionaries, or just adopted another civ's religion.

Took all the Liberty policies first (which is ironic seeing as I ended up with a small civ), then Aesthetics, started Exploration to unlock the Louvre, then went for Freedom for Media Culture.

Whilst I'm sure Media Culture was quite helpful in the end, I probably didn't make the most of the other policies

My neighbours were unusually friendly, even with each other. Portugal eventually declared war on me late in the game (around 1900?), and despite me not building any military units before hand, a rushed sub and a couple of land units quickly put an end to the invasion.

Wayfaring ability was obviously useful, but never built the Maori, and rarely used Moai (if I'd known how Hotels worked at the start I probably would have built more of them).

Nope, was quite an even game - although it took 2 late musician bombs to sway Indonesia.

Edit: I did make one big mistake early on, I forgot about the penalties for stealing CS workers, and after stealing my 2nd one, I ended up with a permanent negative relationship modifier with several of the CS, resulting in a resting point of -20, and a decreased influence of -2 per turn (as well as the world thinking I was a warmonger - very stupid and unnecessary mistake.

Alright, this is not only my first GOTM and my first attempted cultural victory, but also my first game using BNW, so was still getting to grips with the new game mechanics.
Welcome to Civ5 GOTM. :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoyed it and look forward to seeing more of you. Best of luck. :)

Top Bottom