TSG68 After Action thread

Very impressive Arilian! Especially I like the uncommon approach of one city and Honor. Such a thing would never have occurred to me. Was it an experiment or a tried and tested method?

I only experimented, but as you can see there were mutch better results with Composite bowman rush, so not so impressive :)

Retired in 1862.

It was all going well for victory, if slowly, but I had only been taking capitals to speed things up, and leaving other civilizations (notably Germany and Poland) with plenty of other cities. I'd also taken out Assyria and Shoshone when I attacked Brazil, and was then declared on by the entire world. I could have held the line against Portugal/Morocco if I didn't have a resurgent (and fast teching) Germany coming from the other side. After a couple of centuries of stalemate I gradually fell behind in tech and began to lose cities. My path to victory sadly disappeared.

An enjoyable game. My main errors were probably 1) not being bold enough against the Shoshone early on; and 2) not teching well enough at any point; and of course 3) not ensuring that defeated civs were beyond the point of being a threat.

Should have finished much faster but made some dumb mistakes. Really misplayed my first Archer rush on the Shosone and had to withdraw. Came back with Composite bows and took them out at t85. So off to a slow start. Got better from there, but I was slow on tech since I didn't build library, so had to take Poland and Germany out with spearmen. Impis are cool and the other civs went down easy. I realized late in the game that Dom rules had changed in BNW and that Germany taking out the Assyrian capital was no longer a gimme. My two armies were at the other end of the world. Had to build another army to take out the Assyrian cap at the end, which was the last one to fall.
Fun game, thanks Leif!

For the record, I quit on turn 303. I had Germany still to take down, but I was 5 techs behind him and I couldn't stomach the 100 turn slugfest it was going to take to finish him off. Especially with rebels appearing every other turn because of my 30+ unhappiness.

Since then, I've tried several times to finish this using Tommy's strategy. I was close to completion on turn 202, when Germany finally took back Berlin (his 3rd try with seemingly unlimited Landswhatevers) and I had no troops left up north to recapture. I had been trying to crack the nut that is Pocha's capital, without success.

Anyway, I really don't understand how you can physically complete this game in 125ish turns. I've followed Tommy's build order, and even with buying the Barracks, I can't physically build 6 archers and move them to Berlin before turn 110. There seems to be too much ground to cover.

Anyway, I really don't understand how you can physically complete this game in 125ish turns. I've followed Tommy's build order, and even with buying the Barracks, I can't physically build 6 archers and move them to Berlin before turn 110

with the´free worker and fast granny you will grow to size 6 in like no time and shift from there to prod mainly. Like that u should have about 15-20 hammer from turn 35-40 on. thats 2 archers in 3 turns ....

Now add in 2 stolen workers to also work all the lux tiles to get rich and u got a great start ... without stealing workers/settler things are slower ...

anyway i ll load up video tonight.

Thanks Tommy, I'd really like to see the video. I'm getting archers to pop out every 2 turns, but I don't think it is by turn 35.

Maybe the mistake is I'm not buying the granary, but building it.

Code:
Game:	Civ5 GOTM 68
Date submitted:	2013-09-24 16:03:24
Reference number:	29760
Your name:	Blicero
Game status:	Incomplete Retired
Game date:	1650AD
Turns played:	240
Base score:	1490
Final score:	1490
Time played:	5:52:00
Submitted save:	Shaka_0240 AD-1650.Civ5Save
Renamed file:	Blicero_C506801.Civ5Save

I guess I'm in the same camp as Monthar. My biggest problem was over-estimating the AI. For example I saw Moson Khani with city defense 25 and thought my 6x CBs with GG would barely take it down. Not even close. One archer took 3 hits without having to move. So basically I sat there for a whole buncha turns giving the AI a head start.

I guess this is my problem with lower difficulties. I over-think it when actually I should just get some whiskey and put on some death metal and GO! :rockon:

Here's how it played out:

Shoshone T106
Brazil T126
Portugal T149
Poland T175
Assyria T182
Germany T217 (35 turns to advance about 12 hexes - ouch!)

After that I sent my armies to the 2 corners of the earth where they were pushing on obsolete. I looked at Morocco with 66 city defense, looked at my promo-maxed gatling guns, looked at the turn count, and retired.

Congrats to those under T150. That is and continues to be awesome.

This particular GOTM is really kind of fascinating. The size of the map and the terrain puts the game into an interesting race to build large enough armies and move them large distances before the people you need to take out have developed high enough tech to defend against you.

I'm on turn 202 of another attempt right now, and it started very well. I was able to get Berlin around turn 120, then started rolling over Poland and Portugal. But by the time I got to Morocco, his tech was equal to mine. I now own all the capitals except Venice, but Brazil has built several cities on the coast that keep me from landing my southern army, while my northern army doesn't have enough units left to go after Venice from the north.

And as usual, Germany is spamming out those damn Landskneckts, trying to take back Berlin.

My hat is off to whoever came up with this GOTM. There is a lot to learn about domination wins from this.

Edit - Won this on turn 225. It ended up being faster to spend 8 turns getting Astronomy and sailing my army around to hit Venice from the south. Now I want to try a few restarts and see if I can hit that 30 turn benchmark Tommy mentions.

Another edit - I can get a great start, but nothing I do can get to a size 6 capital before turn 50. I am pumping out units pretty well though, I can get 6 archers and a spearman to Assyria by turn 80 now. Seems like not enough though, that is a lot of territory to cover in 50 turns or so. Last two times I landed, he had up walls and an archer, took out half my archers.

won this turn 128

went full liberty with worker 1. and stole settler/worker from shoshone

bo: Monument-scout-granny-scout-gl-NC-barracks-6archers. More units.
only own 2nd city with free settler
academy with finisher

1. army: assyria-->germany-->Poland, upgrade xbow-->Portugal-->maroko
2. army: shoshone (ignore cap) --> brasil, upgrade xbow-->venice
3. army shoshone

only civ giving some resistence was Germany, cap was gpoing down slowlsy being on mountain and with walls, no ai built gw (which d have slowed things like 1 turn)

was bit lucky that last civ (venice) was right where i expected it to be - but really - where else ..

Dont think I lost a single unit - and impies are pretty much kickass - even when attacking cities mainly

I was sure you would have finished like 115-120 i think we didnt need the NC at all. A fast GL with beeline to Civil service would have been way more than enough. Looking up for your vid :)

I myslef overreacted against a much less powerful AI than i thought.

I was sure you would have finished like 115-120 i think we didnt need the NC at all. A fast GL with beeline to Civil service would have been way more than enough

yeah well,guess its lack of experience vs low ai lvl - didnt expect that xbows were not needed ...

dont remember if i even figured that astro wasnt needed when starting NC

Ok, I think I've got the hang of this GOTM now, time to move on to game 69 :)

I was able to get an army of CBs and two spearmen built and heading toward the sea by turn 75. As Tabarnak suggested, the NC is not needed. I took Drama with the GL free tech to help get Impis faster.

I finished on turn 166, which I think is probably a good time for me, given I'm not very efficient with fighting. I took 10 turns longer than I should have getting Poland and ended up needing xbows to take Warsaw.

I suspect I spend more time than I need to healing units.

Code:
Game:	Civ5 GOTM 68

After that I sent my armies to the 2 corners of the earth where they were pushing on  obsolete.  I looked at Morocco with 66 city defense, looked at my promo-maxed gatling guns, looked at the turn count, and retired.

Congrats to those under T150.  That is and continues to be awesome.[/QUOTE]

You can take 66 strength cities with promoted XBs, I don't upgrade to GGs until ghost bomber or GWI are in the field. With GGs u have to take city bombard with range XB u can just whittle them Down slowly. This late I would have had a mix of them to maximize damage per turn, some Gatlings one and two tiles away and XB behind adding more firepower.

And send in cannon fodder to relieve pressure on Gatlings.

I gave up on this one.

I attempted 3 times, one was a warm-up and doomed from the start, the latter 2 both went the same way...

I managed to beat Shosone but it took just way too long, and the war took a toll, and I had money and happiness problems. It brought me all the way to turns 150+ and while I was maybe in position to ultimately win the game, I felt like 200+ turns were ahead and I really wasn't doing great. Not sure at all what made me perform so poorly. I tried but this GOTM wasn't my best effort. Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Started and finished on the due date. Emperor AIs just don't have units...

#1 army: 6 CBs+spear+warrior. Shoshone->Brazil(t86)->Venice(t98)->Morocco(t118)
#2 army: 5 CBs+spear. Got Mt.Kili effect. Assyria(t86)->Poland(t99)->Portugal(t110)
#3 army: 4 CBs+2 spears+1 catapult+coming more. Germany t119.

Liberty 3 cities. Used Liberty GS for academy, but not needed in the end.

When I found 5 civs, I wondered whether this is pangea or continent. With some luck, I found that I could pass through Kiev and that scout found Brazil. Then I knew that this has to be pangea and that hero scout foundn other CSs and 2 civs.

Top Bottom