• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

TSG78 After Actions

t223, my first civ5 GotM since I picked it up during the Steam holiday sale, although I play the occasional civ4 GotM.

Like a lot of folks, I wasted too much time in early development, 4 cities with GLib, NC, GLight, and HE before really cranking out many units. My idea was to rush for Steel and then Astronomy and take the world with an army of samurai and trebs, which is pretty much what I did (cannons for the last 2 caps).

It would have been a lot faster for me to just start rolling with archers, warriors/swords and catapults, though. Probably just need 1-2 cities, and then crank out units until GG, only improving as necessary for happy or economy. Maybe get a t150-160 win that way, even with all the noob mistakes I make.

Hey Folks!

First GOTM for Civ5. Had fun, but gave up a lot of real world hours! I meandered my way to victory on Turn 335, in 1911. My final score was 3553. Thanks!

DuncanScott

Hey Folks!

First GOTM for Civ5. Had fun, but gave up a lot of real world hours! I meandered my way to victory on Turn 335, in 1911. My final score was 3553. Thanks!

DuncanScott

Welcome to Civ5 GotM. Thanks for participating!

HR

I absolutely do not know how to play easy difficulty.

So, I played like normal game, went tradition, build 4 cities and never fight untill I got samurais, which were build with armory/epic. Did not know that ships can take cities now, probably could have done it mach early, I did know where everyone was very early.

t101

archers are enough for non-hill capitals on prince

the capital only built units (scouts x2, archers x infinity, and two warriors for each army)

went liberty for the free worker and production

army 1 (non-hills east): zulu -> maya -> celts
army 2 (non hills south): siam -> morocco
army 3 (cb's east): shoshone
army 4 (upgraded army 1 and reinforcements): austria

Game: Civ5 GOTM 78
Date submitted: 2014-02-16 01:24:54
Reference number: 30644
Your name: da_Vinci
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1905AD
Turns played: 325
Base score: 3081
Final score: 4740
Time played: 21:26:00
Submitted save: TSG 78 Oda Nobunaga_0325 AD-1905.Civ5Save
Renamed file: da_Vinci_C507801.Civ5Save

Decided to play this one as a builder game, to get to know some of the new stuff in BNW. Went for complete domination: take and hold every AI city, and be allied with every city state at the end. Ended with 30 cities, in a golden age, and had +17 happy.

I dabbled a while back in some hall of fame duel quick games where three warriors can take out a lone capital in about 10 turns if the distance is right, so I get the rush approach, but that's not what I enjoy.

Actually used one samurai to lay down 3 fishing boats in a conquered city. Built six cities of my own, several wonders (Great Lib, mids, Oracle, Brandenburg, some others I think). Remarkable that none of the AI built more than 4 cities. Death order was Zulu, Shoes, Siam, Moors, Alpines, Maya, Celts.

Keeping happy was a challenge mid game, needed my happy religion (pagodas, and picked all happy beliefs), and all the happy policies. Got to -22 when I took a city in a peace deal (oops). Built the World's fair, got all three bonuses (had six cities fully committed to that to get it done, as army was big enough).

Fun game, but no award winner ... unless there is a cow?

dV

Turn 148 win. Had two armies, 80% CBs, couple swords, scouts, couple of chariots, couple of triremes at the very end for austria.

Initial plan : Going Kamikaze! just swarms of archers everywhere, die if you must, others will follow.
What it ended up being : After taking 2 civs with archers, had to get CBs for shoshone's painful placement. He expanded, had unique unit x4, was surrounded by hills, had no terrain upgrades so impossible to heal while attacking and melee took too much heat. (22 strength capital too, i think he had the defense pantheon.)

One single city into conquest. 5 points Tradition + a point into liberty for culture +1 point into exploration I think.

archery AH Mining, after that it doesn't even matter really. Only wonders were Terracotta and great wall. Prioritized techs that give happiness and annexed a couple of cities to make or buy those buildings, so i never went into negative happiness.

scout, scout, then archer ad nauseam! Then some variety in units to get some bang from Terracotta.

Ruins : AH then nothing useful but barb camps and reveals. Spear or archer could have have been handy.

Settled in such a way that salt and marble would be in inner circle, since i didn't plan on getting a monument until the free one from tradition kicks in. Good surprise, there were more salts north and river.

Conquest of capitals turns : 50(shaka) 70(maya) 95(siam) 117(shoshone capital was a pain and i lost units without being able to take it, had to stop and reinforce and get CBs) 130(celts) 144(morocco) 148(austria).

I had two armies. First army : Shaka, one city from shoshone (not capital, just a place to upgrade to CBs), maya, shoshone, celts. Second army : Siam, morocco, austria.

Shoshone alone made me waste 20-30 turns or more. Not finding the celts (thinking they were somewhere east of morocco) early also made me waste a while, since i didn't optimise my war path and had to cross half the world to go kill them. With map knowledge i feel i could win this in 120 turns or less.

Mistakes :

- My scouts found 3 civs on my continent. I should have went CBs early, instead of diverting to sea techs. That would have let me clean my continent faster and not get stuck on shoshone for a bit. Instead i waited about 15 turns for CB tech to finish.
- Tried to get tribute from CS, didn't work even if i had about 7 units on its borders. Wasted about 10 turns for nothing. (And even if i had gotten those 70 gold, it's not worth the waste of time.)
- Tons of salt was useless as the AI was continually bankrupt. Should have settled on coast to get scouting triremes. (I went inland looking for a hill since early plan was archers and not naval, + i was taking shaka's capital first which was coastal, + I didn't know how many coastal cities there would be or else i would have gotten a navy for sure.)

It was fun. I don't usually finish domination before turn 200, so I am getting better at this, thanks for the game. :)

Top Bottom