TSG82 After Actions

Alright, I had a huge issue with coal and aluminum. I had allied multiple CS's with these resources improved, but I was not gaining any benefit of them. Did something change? :confused:I had to conquer Boudica for her coal and then just went on a rampage after that. Had I gotten my coal much earlier, with the factory tenant, I could have shaved 50+ turns off my time. For instance, Milan (I think) had an aluminum resource with 8 right next to it , improved, and I was still only receiving the three within my borders. :mad: Does anyone have this issue? Was this due to the difficulty? Perhaps I had a misconception how this worked?

Thanks.

CSs have their own tech progressions. They just hadnt gotten far enough to learn Electricity yet. Sadly, there is no way I know of to speed up their teching.

HR

CSs have their own tech progressions. They just hadnt gotten far enough to learn Electricity yet. Sadly, there is no way I know of to speed up their teching.

HR

Thanks HR. I think because I usually play a higher difficulty, this isn't usually an issue. I would be curious to learn how the CS Tech mechanic works.

I think that you need at least 1 AI having the same tech. Prince is so slow that you will wait forever before someone get that tech...

Game: Civ5 GOTM 82
Date submitted: 2014-03-23 08:05:43
Reference number: 30834
Your name: Memoryjar
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1820AD
Turns played: 280
Base score: 1600
Final score: 2857
Time played: 3:42:00

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
Desert Folklore, Pagodas, Sword into plowshares. Faith, happiness and growth.
Upgrade spy in capitals. After, coup and rigging election in cultural CS.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Few near luxs and an AI near. So I planed to took Celts. They settled in crappy place Dublin. Cardiff was in a good place, next to a mountain with ivory, river, but near China after a long road of forest.So I looked after Carthage.
Finally I gambled with Hippo Regus and let Dido alive. A mistake. Hippo was not wonderful. I was hated by other civs, so if I took Carthage also, maybe I could save 10 to 15 turns.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
Prince, easy domination. But Edinburgh and an archer killed 3 of my archers. I lost some turns to build catapults.
I mind about GL, but I tried 3 city NC and took 2 or 3 AI cities. Finally, I think it made no difference. My issue were GS. With 2 AI cites, I miss one GS in a fourth city. Enough to have to wait 6 turns for final GS.
Also I wasted a GE on Christ Redemptor. I had to hard build all spaceship parts. I lost 5 turns for last part.

- Did America's unique traits factor into your Science game plan? If so, how?
Cheap tiles. So, I can build an army to get AI cities.

Attachments

• GOTM Final.jpg
    GOTM Final.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 139
Date submitted: 2014-03-23 08:21:19
Reference number: 30835
Your name: 4N4C0ND4
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 1638
Final score: 2641
Time played: 3:06:00
Submitted save: Washington_0313 AD-1886.Civ5Save
Renamed file: 4N4C0ND4_C508201.Civ5Save

Not too too bad for the first time that I ever tried to race space.
I think I could have been sub 300 if I didn't used ratio finisher for a 1 turn tech by accident :facepalm:

I also have 0 idea how to maximize bulbing exepect to wait 8 turns that is. Bulbed 9 or 10 in total I think. I tried to focus a bit more on faith so I could get 3 from the finisher.

Maybe my biggest mistake was early. I got a very very early spear (t3?) and I think I could wipe the celt with this unit + 1w + 1sc but I failled miserably and I think I put too much empaphasis on this personnal achievement. I didn't liked how she was going to cut all MY land :D

Got randomly double or trible down at some point but nothing bit happened.

Dam if I would have do a bit more scouting and found this new world continent, game would have been much more interesting. raginb barbs might have been a pb there though.

Date submitted: 2014-03-22 20:11:42
Reference number: 30825
Your name: thecoffs
Game date: 1913AD
Turns played: 333
Base score: 1598
Final score: 2421
Time played: 2:56:00

Not bad for my first GOTM. Went for Liberty and rushed Boudicca. Didn't even need to upgrade to CBs. Just a Warrior and 4 Archers to take her cap. Got a very dominant religion out as a result. Boudicca got hers out from her new capital far too late.
Observatories in all 4 of my cities, but none in Edinburgh. Maybe Liberty wasn't the best choice though. I struggled to grow later into the game and only had a max of about 1080 beakers by the end. I rarely go for science victories so I'm sure I'd improve a lot with a bit of practice.
Got attacked by Celts and Carthage with about 10 turns to go as well so I got a few xcoms and razed a few cities for fun :lol:

Date submitted: 2014-03-23 09:13:05
Reference number: 30836
Your name: golem
Game date: 1898AD
Turns played: 319

Similar tactic to Tabarnak - only 100 turns slower. :D

Date submitted: 2014-03-23 17:21:25
Reference number: 30838
Your name: Akane
Game date: 1921AD
Turns played: 341
Base score: 1756
Final score: 2582
Time played: 6:43:00
Submitted save: GOTM 82 -- 2014-03-23 Akane_.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Akane_C508201.Civ5Save

Built a total of four cities including settling in place at the capital. New York went south of the river next to the lake (to prevent Boudicca from coming closer), Boston went northeast of oasis to capture Mt. Kailash plus the northwest sugar. Lastly, Philadelphia went on the "new world" continent to the east, to pull in Sri Pada and more importantly give me access to coal.

Spying... almost completely useless. Too far ahead of anyone to nab tech. So, went full Rationalism and Patronage to get the city science bonuses.

Religion -- got Interfaith Dialogue for the science bonuses, Swords to Plowshares, and Divine Inspiration for the +2 per wonder... knew I'd be getting a ton of wonders in Prince. Reliquary because I knew I'd run through a metric crapton of Scientists.

Spent roughly fifty turns in a row in Golden Age towards the end, because all my artists really didn't want to paint pictures for some reason. Bought four Scientists through :c5faith: (as well as a couple of Engineers), earned another... six or seven? Had one scientist fall into my lap way at the end from a CS gift, it cut my finish time by about six or seven turns.

Where I could have improved -- point #1 would be not growing out my cities large enough, and even though I had swords to plowshares I should've attempted to take a few more cities than zero. I was a bit bummed that Interfaith Dialogue did so little, but that's a function of having little cities around me... when you only get +10 science per number of opposing faith, and the cities around you only have eight or nine citizens, you're not exactly gaining a ton of new tech. Seems it'd be more useful on King and higher.

Other religious problem was that by the time that Dialogue would have been useful, I was just saving for the Scientists anyway. Even with Boudicca to the east converting everyone... hopping ages was the opposite of helpful in this situation.

My pretty major unforced error... I was at the Railroad bottleneck, and happened to finish Oxford one turn earlier than expected... which meant that I gained Railroad one turn early, rather than pulling Combustion six turns early. Definitely need to pay more attention on future games for that.

Last note, I had it in place to win diplomatically about twenty-five to thirty turns before this... though that's still not the fastest of this group of experts anyway.

Date submitted: 2014-03-23 20:12:22
Reference number: 30840
Your name: browd
Game date: 1785AD
Turns played: 267
Base score: 1500
Final score: 2830

Sloppy turn 267 science victory. Four city Tradition/left side Patronage/Rationalism/Order/Commerce to Wagon Trains. Settled capital in place, New York on plains hill next to desert to the north (for Petra), then Philly on the gems and Boston next to Kailash -- so I had observatories in all 4 cities, but lack of coal meant no factory in Kailash city until I was able to trade with the AI for 1 coal, which hurt a bit. Kailash city finally picked up the aluminum north of Hong Kong, but too late to help with SS parts, so that was also a bit of pain.

Made a bunch of careless errors toward the end, including forgetting to build Apollo Project until I went to build SS parts (what?, why?, Oh, derp.) I also mistimed Oxford for Radio (didn't start building it until I was reminded by the discovery of Electricity) and delayed bulbing GSs too late (I thought I had selected ISS as the last WC proposal and was looking forward to supercharged GS bulbs and more faith for GEs to rush -- but discovered that International Games are somewhat less ... useful :lol:).

Moral of the story: Don't play Civ while watching March Madness.

Date submitted: 2014-03-17 12:30:29
Game date: 1610AD
Turns played: 232
Base score: 1640
Final score: 3565
Time played: 4:06:00

Beelined Astronomy for observatories. Bulbed Radio with Oxford.

Full tradition / Patronage (or commerce) or hybrid Trad/lib ?

I had two priorities: get Techs as fast as possible and promote fighters to discourage nearby Civ attacks. By turn 160 America's science was far enough ahead so that only barbarians risked attacking. At the end religion provided Great Scientists. Spies rigged elections. The map helped by protecting me on the north, and hindered by delaying my scouts who struggled to get through the barbarians.

Though this is my first entry I've tried several Games of the Month. Emperor is as high as I go before I need to repeat turns. I don't like to lose promoted soldiers. This time it happened only once. America's UA weren't a factor this time.

Going for Satellites earlier would have meant 18 turns for America to build the International Space Station -- cut that in half for the other civs also producing -- so that might have saved turns at the end.

Just a quick question about bulbing. Is it better to bulb all your saved up GS in one turn, or turn by turn? I know that it looks at the last 8 turns of science gathered, but does this include bulbing?

Game date: 1931AD
Turns played: 351
Base score: 1717
Final score: 2452
Time played: 5:21:00

Many thanks for the game GOTM crew; I haven't played for a while and now with a new baby on my lap fancied an easier game to get back into things without too much pressure (I tend toward Emperor level, but a GOTM win is a GOTM win, whatever the level). However my baby was clearly a Dido agent, distracting me at key points:

- Oh yeah, getting patronage for the Forbidden Palace would have been a good idea.
- Scouting that small island to the east of Bratislava would be a good thing to remember to do.
- Right, I did actually pass that World Fair resolution didn't I?
- How many Great Scientists have I got? That many!? How many techs left to get? Oh dear.

Essentially went peacemonger and research agreements (they've changed the rules for those again, haven't they?). Dido nicked the World Congress and Wu nobbled Rome and The Celts. Interesting start - settled in place and four cities (NY on the lake, Boston by the wine north of the mountains and Phil on the sea next to the horses) on the starting continent.

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
A: Didn't choose religion to reduce micromanagement. Celts had Pagodas and Monasteries, to went with them. Spies were defensive or diplomats.
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
A: Helped being in the corner. Low food and the (late discovered) new lands, meant I expanded two cities there.
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
A: I knew I'd be able to cope with aggression and out tech all comers. Dido and Wu scared me a little though!
- Did America's unique traits factor into your Science game plan? If so, how?
A: Helped with the exploration, but otherwise no.

Date submitted: 2014-03-26 17:20:12
Reference number: 30851
Your name: Coilean
Game date: 1760AD
Turns played: 262
Base score: 2100
Final score: 4038
Time played: 16:23:00

I did what most did, it seems like. Settled in place, made an early mountain Petra New York in the northern desert on the river wheat, snagged dessert folklore, and went swords to plowshares and +1% prod/pop. Full tradition + honor opener snagged me a lot of free early culture from popping barbs with my scouts and archers, and I dropped 3 points into commerce for cheap building purchases (esp. later on with order + big ben), before opening rationalism.

Delayed settling city 3 until NC was finished around turn 70 something, so didn't quite get the placement I wanted for Boston (no sugar or mountain), but it turned out to be a nice production city later thanks to hydro plant. I'm still not sure how I feel about the trade off for having the 4 cities early versus having only 2 cities + GL + NC 20 or so turns earlier.

Decided I needed more space and didn't want a competing religion next door, so I took out Boudica around turn 140 with some trebs knights and landsknect, and razed her crappy cities to place 2 more of my own, putting me at 6 cities total with her capital. Maybe that was too many cities, but I hadn't ever played for the Science win before, so wasn't really sure what I would need. I was able to get the 3 late cities up over 100 science/turn in 40 turns or so thanks to the super cheap building purchases, so I don't think they hurt me too much, if at all.

Planted the first GS and saved the rest for bulbing to key science techs (PE and Plastics); blew 4 GS at 10k beakers apiece to grab Rocketry so I could take Satellites with Ratio finisher. Bulbed 4 subsequent GS as I got them (2 from Hubble, 1 from faith) to finish out the required techs and used a GE to finish the last SS part. Had to buy some Recycling Centers to finish the Spaceship parts, since there was only the one 3 aluminum tile anywhere near our lands.

Overall I was happy with the game, although it took me too long. I would love to know how people play games in less than 6 hours, and sometimes seeing finishes around 2 hours seems impossible to me. If I only hit end turn 250 times I think it would take longer than 2 hours just to do the opponent moves, so maybe I need to upgrade my computer :p.

SP: Tradition-Rationalism-Order
57T NC, 100T edu, 170T Plastic
I started by Tradition 2 cities NC + 3 cities more (barbs were problematic delaying the establishment of new towns :( )
Also at the end I bought one scientist too much instead of an engineer, but overall good game :)

Attachments

• Tradition 2 cities NC + 3 cities more.jpg
    Tradition 2 cities NC + 3 cities more.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 203
  • T220 SV.jpg
    T220 SV.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 198
SP: Tradition-Rationalism-Order
57T NC, 100T edu, 170T Plastic
I started by Tradition 2 cities NC + 3 cities more (barbs were problematic delaying the establishment of new towns :( )
Also at the end I bought one scientist too much instead of an engineer, but overall good game :)

That's more or less what i've done, but your end of game is surely better. You also finished NC earlier, making Education appearing sooner too. Since that you picked a faith pantheon(i took Sun of God) you probably popped an extra scientist overall. If only i had that extra scientist...i wouldn't had to end turns for ''nothing'' :)

Some questions :

-Did you sign RAs?(i didn't)
-Did you buy your science buildings at a good rate?(or did you hard build most of them)

220 is a very good finish time. Well done!

Some questions :

-Did you sign RAs?(i didn't)
-Did you buy your science buildings at a good rate?(or did you hard build most of them)

-No, I didn't sign any RAs (on Prince difficulty they're worthless, better buy sth usefull :) )

-I hard built most of my science buildings (bought only one or two every time when they were available)

I read your post and indeed we had similar games but I had better luck, and I didn't have to establish new cities, because I got coal and aluminium from CSs ( only 3 coal so didn't have factories in all cities :( ) I think that this is the biggest difference why I had a better time :)

Top Bottom