TSG98 After Actions

Cultural victory on turn 231. I started the liberty tree to get the free settler then focused on piety. Sacred site strategy worked quite well on this map, despite the relative lack of space. I annexed Attila's territory to get more cities and more tourism. I should have tried to wipe out Whashington, who was ahead in culture, to win a few turns earlier, but my main army was on the other side of the map. I guess it would have been a better idea to take care of Washington first.
I did not pay much attention to the new patch, except it was a nice surprise to see bisons and cocoa, the latter helping me to reduce unhappiness after settling on the southern shore of the american island.
Bizantium's ability to choose a second religious belief was a great help, as it allowed to take a second religious building to maximize faith and tourism production.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 98
Date submitted: 2014-12-14 18:58:00
Reference number: 32044
Your name: Acken
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 860AD
Turns played: 153
Base score: 587
Final score: 1956
Time played: 1:04:00
Submitted save: Tsg98_win.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Acken_C509801.Civ5Save

Played this in a rush. Classic SS. Stonehenge is top priority. Made a mistake for the additional belief, took a 3rd building but it was totally unnecessary.

BO: Monument, pre-build Worker, Shrine, Worker, Granary, Stonehenge, Settler x2, worker, Dromon x2, Stoneworks. And then settlers temple oracle in whatever order.

Got lucky however with a faith ruin.
Religion was: GodKing, Mosques, Monasteries, Pagoda, RT, Initiation rites.

Reformation around turn 115 (I took mandate of heaven first).

Took me too long to settle near honolulu to be able to send a TR since polynesia was my runaway. Missed GL by 1 turn.

Spoiler :

Hi all! First time, long time. I finally upgraded to BNW over the holidays (I thought Civ:BE might fill that void, but I kinda feel the same way eveybody else does). Thought I'd finally give these a whack. Felt this would be a good practice game to learn the new tourism and TR systems as I'm probably an Emporer level player.

I finished in 321 turns with CV, though in reality I'd call it a domination/culture victory. Game score a little over 1800. I did use one replay turn, though in the end it probably didn't matter.

I did end up with a CV as noted, though I had to conquer Korea and America to speed things up. I wiped out Russia early after they wouldn't stop spreading religion to my island. But the tourism to Korea and US was too slow, so I just wiped them off the maps with a group of about 12 frigates/privateers. Probably saved 50 turns.

I settled in place, built NE in the pastures for city 2, was building settler 3 to settle by the marble spot when Dido plopped a settler on my island. When I noticed the settler, I was 1 turn too late to kill the settler before founding city. Then I was 1 attack shy of capturing the city with the couple troops I had. That is where I replayed a turn. I moved my troops to kinda block the path until I could put my settler in place. The settler left, but then Dido and Attila DoW'ed me like 4 turns later anyway (aren't you supposed to NOT covet your neighbors!). In the long run, I don't think it mattered too much as I repelled the attack pretty easily with a few dromon, still had to rebuild several TRs, and ran away with things eventually anyway. Next time I'll have more confidence to just deal with it.

The biggest mistake I probably made was avoiding Piety. I guess I just don't use it much typically. On harder levels, I'd rather use a couple Honor spots. In this instance, I had trouble generating enough income (particularly during wars with some TRs down) and took a couple Commerce spots instead. Hurt my faith generation later on when I would have liked to be buying GPs. The other mistake I guess was settling the third city too late, which led to Dido getting greedy.

Anyway, a decent (if not inefficient) first effort and I learned a lot about BNW. I think I'll try another practice game before catching up and hopefully submitting the current GOTM.

Top Bottom