Turn 162 - 460 AD **PLAYED**

Please give me a while to peruse my references and I will get back to you guys. Mainly I mean cut them at the kneecaps thru secret alliances with other potential nations (although word may get back). I'm sure they want to expand as well. Denying them important resources at times of need such as a quick invasion from us. Obviously it would be wise to conduct cordial relations until our infrastructure is stable. Don't forget, they have fog of war as well. They don't know whats forces are building up outside their shores, and even if they did, all they can see is one unit in their display and not all of the units in a transport. Correct me if I'm wrong pls...

Originally posted by Ankka
Looks like we really are getting upwards here. :D

Are we planning on building any new cities anytime near? I think it would be a good idea to get a few more in the East and North, the unclaimed terriory is useles otherwise. And also if we wanna give Poly any challenge, we should get a few cities fast.

Originally posted by Hygro
Before we really build riders, I want our lands filled in.

As far as new cities go, I truly don't see the need to immediately secure these lands as most of the potential sites would be swimming in corruption. And in order to build the Settlers to found these corrupt sites, we would have to donate valuable population from our most productive cities.

Next turn, we will get an idea of just how powerful our core cities can be when Shen Ling and Jiang Mapi both complete their Marketplaces. This will be accentuated in a few turns when both cities are allowed to reach Size 8. And this practice can(and should) be followed by Ju Yaosai, Xiang Zhou(both with Size 8 potential), Zhi Gang and Cha Ching(both with Size 6 potential).

Yun Qiuling(currently building a Granary) and Kuangbaio Haian(currently adding irrigation) will be used as Worker/Settler farms. I may let these cities grow to Size 5 or 6 so production can increase and get us these valuable units faster. The larger size of these cities will hopefully support a nice production cycle --- where a worker is always due at the same time the city will grow. This concept would allow these cities to produce constant workers without depleting population.

Now, it seems that I may have danced around the question a bit. When will we start to see new cities? I think we should maintain our powerful core until we have about 15-20 turns left for the Forbidden Palace, and until then I would only like to see us found the occasional city near Xin Yun Feng. Any new cities that are primarily grassland should be made worker farms until the FP is complete, and workers produced there should begin to build the road net for our southeast expansion.

Originally posted by deshelbr
What did we set Xiang Zhou and Daoyu Leisheng to start building? I'm not sure what are strategy is right now for these two areas.

I don't think I set either to anything in particular, so thanks for bringing this up. Xiang Zhou just completed a Harbor, so my plans for this city are to boost its population to take advantage of the many unused coastal tiles. Doing so will give us quite a boost in our treasury.

Also, since this city is founded on a freshwater lake, it has the potential to grow past Size 6 without an Aqueduct. When you pair this with the fact that Xiang Zhou is primarily a "commerce town," I believe a Marketplace would be our best bet.

I am open to suggestions on how to maximize our island cities. I think DL is producing another Warrior, but I am not sure.

What are our goals this term for the Greenland and Iceland islands?

I see Greenland as a future staging ground for our troops in any upcoming conflict with GWT. Therefore, I would like us to found that last city sometime this term. Also, one of the Greenland cities needs a Harbor so that our mainland can ship our Luxuries to these remote locales.

I see no short-term benefits in settling Iceland this term, but we need to make sure to keep our claim to it. Apolyton has already pledged that both islands are ours, so we should really have no problem keeping these in our hands. However, all will change with once Navigation is discovered so we need to have a solid Island Defensive Plan by then.

Originally posted by bluice
Don't forget to address my Communism (Corruption) issue please Mr President....?

And how about about the idea of a "flash cripple plan"?

Hygro has answered your question best, bluice. Poly will definitely have a well-placed FP(in Apolyton Prime, I believe). I am not sure how close to completion it is, but I know they are farther along than we are. :(

As for a "flash cripple plan," I think that it is totally unnecessary at this point in time. Not only do we not have the available troops to carry out such a plan, but we are also enjoying strong relations with Apolyton. I do not think that we should fan any fires where none exist....yet.

Until such a time that we can field a battalion of at least 20 Riders, I think we had better remain as cordial as possible with our ally. As I have said earlier, the terms of our Alliance grant each of us ten turns of neutrality should one of us cancel the alliance. And I don't see us considering that option for quite some time, if at all.

In the event that Poly considers it down the road(unlikely in the near future), it is a good reason for us to begin thinking of building Riders soon --- even before we claim all of our land.

I agree that we should always remain on best relations possible with Apolyotn but what if they do just decide to strike. What can we do is the question, how about we prepare for the worst instead of assuming that Apolyton is going to co-operate. I realise that Apolyton is probably looking to concentrate on infrastructure as well at the moment, but remember guys, they are thinkers such as we are and it only takes one mind over there with a well thought out invasion to cripple us. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have some kind of backup plan for if we were to turn nasty...

On another thought, I apologise if there is a feeling that I am just throwing suggestions in the air. How good would it be to control good 'ol Balance of Power, the units of Apolyton must pass thru there unless they choose to amass from the North when invading.

Actually, the terms of an earlier agreement state that we will get to settle the northern canal and that Apolyton will disband the city of Equilibrium when we are ready. Also in that agreement is that all the land west of the two chokepoints is ours to settle at our leisure.

Granted, the canal at Balance of Power is a strategically preferable location, but this agreement was brokered quite some time ago. If we were to try to change it now, we would risk the possibility of enticing Apolyton to play out your worst fears. ;)

And finally, I do not hold the opinion that you are merely "throwing suggestions into the air." :) I want this term to be all about communication between the people of Fanatikou and its elected leaders. And by the looks of this thread, we are off to a good start.

Yes! Talking to people is the good thing. I love talking to people. It's just that the coversations usually become weird, when I am the only talking. Maybe this term will be different.

As for Apolyton, we should not make a move. I don't think they will attack, since we are providing gpt for them. Also, why attack an empire that could more easily help you with an alliance? The alliance works both ways.

*Two guards come*

Who are you? No, I don't want to go back to that crummy office. No! I want to talk to people. That office is a prison. Let me be! DZ, doe something. Nooooo!

*Zarn is taken away to his office*

Originally posted by bluice
Just out of curiosity, how many active citizens are there?

Somewhere around 15 to 20, I would guess. At least that is how many vote in elections. Even less actually participate.

Arghh! You beat me to it. I was going to point out that Apolyton do intend to give us Equilibrium and disband their colony in exchange for us giving them silk forever after. But this agreement has only been expressed in chats as far as I know, and not consumated in any written agreement/treaty. The longer we don't claim that area, the harder it may be to get it. So, President Zoi, since Balance Of Power is out of the question, do you intend to move into Equilibrium this term??

While we should build up a force of Riders this term, in my opinion, anyone who thinks there is a point in planning for war with Apolyton isn't paying attention. Apolyton isn't interested in taking our land or knocking us out of the game. Apolyton, like us, is looking nervously across the ocean trying to figure out what they are going to do about THEM. Apolyton know we can help them 100 times more than we can hurt them right now.

If we go to war with Apolyton before we catch up to Netatolia and Webringen we will NOT win this game. The same is also true for Apolyton and they know it. So we might as well play assuming we are not going to go to war with each other.

And I agree with Hygro in that I don't think Apolyton will be switching to Communism in this game. Unless they occupy a large chunk of the other continent.

And just to keep DZ honest, here are a list of his goals he has said he would like to accomplish this term, just in this thread:
1) Keep Iceland
2) Found 3rd City on Greenland
3) Build Harbor on Greenland
4) Complete Forbidden Palace in Xin Yun Feng
5) Tech Parity with Apolyton by Astronomy

EDIT: :eek: 300 POSTS!!!! Time to make me an avatar!

I'm serious: we should trade equilibrium and hundreds of gold (between 100 and 350) for the Balance of power. Start by offering them 100, and over the course of a week bring it to about 200. If they don't agree, wait about 1 week and then offer them like, the whole 350. I think it could work.

I don't. I believe they value Point of Victory (the Apolyton city founded on the ruins of Balance of Power) much more than Equielibrium.

They will not trade cities. At least not for 350 Gold.

I don't even think the city is worth Equilibrium and 350 gold, which is why I think they'd do it.

So, President Zoi, since Balance Of Power is out of the question, do you intend to move into Equilibrium this term??

I think we can make great strides toward claiming the entire northern region early in Term 6. And since Apolyton has its colony and some MIs in that area right now, I think that making a beeline for Equilibrium may look a bit hasty on our part, as if we wish them off our land.

I would prefer to get a few things in order before we force Apolyton's hand in this area. The cities sites north of Kung Pao are not vital to our bottom line and should make up the final phase of our expansion.

And just to keep DZ honest, here are a list of his goals he has said he would like to accomplish this term, just in this thread:
1) Keep Iceland
2) Found 3rd City on Greenland
3) Build Harbor on Greenland
4) Complete Forbidden Palace in Xin Yun Feng
5) Tech Parity with Apolyton by Astronomy

Thank you for summarizing these key points, deshelbr. Some clarifications on #4 and #5 though:

4) Complete Forbidden Palace in Xin Yun Feng - This will most likely be finished early in Term 6, but we should be well on our way to preparing that region for its completion by this term's end.

5) Tech Parity with Apolyton by Astronomy - This is an initiative that both ourselves and Apolyton will need to poll before it gets implemented.

I have started a discussion on this matter here.

Top Bottom