Turn 3950 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we will actually have our first city then. It would nice if the domestic advisor made a poll on what we should build in our first city.

sounds like a plan to me.

I have done a few checks and have worked out that the ocean square on the corner is a 4-special location but obviously we can't build there and the next one up is 2 squares northwest of the forest at the top of the uncovered territory although whether it will be possible to build there once we get to it is another matter. I suspect not.

Originally posted by duke o' york
I have done a few checks and have worked out that the ocean square on the corner is a 4-special location but obviously we can't build there and the next one up is 2 squares northwest of the forest at the top of the uncovered territory although whether it will be possible to build there once we get to it is another matter. I suspect not.
How do you work that out? I thought there were still 10 possible locations for us based on the hut/special pattern posted in another thread? But i may well have missed something....

I have made a little graphic of where I am pretty certain we are basically by colouring in the squares on the special grid the right colours for the different terrain we can see but unfortunately all I have at work is Paint so I can neither clip the image smaller than the A4 screen you get automatically nor save it as a .gif so that it can be uploaded to the CFC server but Duke has agreed to do this for me and hopefully all should become clear when he posts it. :D

I have managed, using only Win98 2nd edition & its Paint.
My notes:
Windows Win98 System Incantations
1-26-02 AltPrtSc, then MsWord CtrlV
or IN466 Paint CtrlV, SaveAs Jpg

Which I believe means:
Begin in Civ2, perhaps fullscreen or partial, AltPrtSc
Then in MS Word, which I later discovered didn't matter,
So in Paint, CtrlV Paste and the image appears.
I then clipped, saved, chopped, New and CtrlV again, whatever.
Kept the Civ2 image available, so I could start over.
Finally, SaveAs Jpg, and it works:
<a href="http://www.ePlanOffice.com/Hampton/Greece.jpg" target="_blank">www.ePlanOffice.com/Hampton/Greece18.jpg</a>

I wasn't using Civ though - just an image like the one in this post to show whereabouts I believe we are. My version of Paint only allows the option of saving as a .bmp in varying numbers of colours, and there is no chance of saving as a .jpg
I keep saying .gif instead of .jpg so please excuse me for any confusing mentions I may have made here and elsewhere. :(

Good graphic, DoY!

Just so everyone knows, that pattern DoY posted can currently be applied to 10 distinctly different huts in the master pattern. At this time, we can't be narrow it down to the particular hut DoY used for this graphic. But you can "overlay" his color pattern to any of the non-X'd out huts in the master pattern.

A "typical" goal of exploration is to establish the pattern, and know where the huts will be.... and to know which grasslands should be mined/transformed to give the specials they are "hiding".

:)

Well I'm afraid that it has been such a long time since I played Classic, I can't remember whether the world map applies in the same way as the PS version does, but I have assumed that you are always shown on the map whereabouts you are, and it isn't centralised or anything. The graphic is only a small portion of the hut pattern, taken from the bottom centre, which explains why there is only a single hut and a single special on the bottom row. I wasn't going to post the whole lot for the reasons I asked Duke to clip and convert the image for me but this is taken from the bottom middle and it shouldn't be too difficult to work out where we are and plan further exploration from there on the graphic starlifter posted and I linked to up there somewhere. :)
From what the graphic shows, we will get two convertible (;)) specials if we found where we decided to, and be able to build a harbour eventually for the lucrative ocean tiles. :D Does anyone know the special seed so that they can predict which specials will appear in each of the two squares if we convert them? I know that there are two groups and that would help a lot if we can work out which of the two (or either, or neither) would turn into a silk square when forested. This would be a great boost for trade, as I don't think making a hill would be entirely worth our while yet in the hope of some wine. Advice on the special seed would be much appreciated. :goodjob:
So we seem to have decided what to do for the time being - shall we get some extra turns played then?

To clarify, are you asking if anyone knows how to predict what specific special will appear where (for hidden ones in particular)?? I agree - we don't really want to have to wait for terraforming to realise a special.

I've never really studied the specials, and so I have to ask the question: For hidden specials, is the square actually flagged as a "special" or as a specific type of special? Ie - can we forest it to get silk, or hill it to get wine, or do we get what we get? I would presume that it is the latter.

Yes, I am asking whether we will get a pheasant or a silk square if we forest one of the grasslands and whether we get a buffalo or a wheat if we make it a plains. These are the two groups of specials and they will appear in a set order across the map but I don't know if we have to discover one special to know where the others will be for definite or if there will always be the same set in the same place. If you make the whole world plains then you'll see which ones become wheat and which buffalo and I'm pretty certain that these two types are constant for each game but obviously cannot check at work.

Does anyone know the special seed so that they can predict which specials will appear in each of the two squares if we convert them?
I can do that, but will not because there is no way to derive that information from normal game functions. There are 65,536 seed values, of which 65,534 are actually used to create the specific fish/whale combos.

However, you can note the full 8-special contents on "row 1", and that same pattern will be repeated on every other row (3, 5, ,etc.). You can likewise note the internal pattern of the 8-special on the 2nd row, and it will be on the 4th, 6th, etc.

Unfortunately, it takes revealing a lot of the map to have a shot at filling in this level of detail, so I don't normally try and predict whether a specific tile will be a fish-type or a whale-type. I just identify the orientation of the special/hut pattern, then simply mine the grassland, and if it turns out to be a pheasant when in republic or democracy, irrigate it without delay into a buffalo. Silk is almost always good (unless food is critical, then you just irrigate it to a wheat).

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom