1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn-thread 2650BC

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Zwelgje, Sep 6, 2002.

1. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I would actually like the first settler from Dellham to build up on the 4-specials that the legion uncovered. The iron and the whale with give lots of production, and we can use this city to mass-produce military units. The location appears to be reasonably handy to the current unexplored areas (and other continent) if we find the AI. We need to balance keeping our SSC and Settler factories happy with generating a military. The best way of getting ahead is to restrict the opposition. :)

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Great minds think alike ;)

Since we currently have 2 sites with 2 specials, 1 site
    with 4 specials, plus a good river site (as well as the
    potential sites above RC), I cannot see the
    point of founding any filler cities until *all* of the major
    city sites have been taken. Filling the major city sites also
    will cut down on barbs as well as pre-empt any AI
    colonization expeditions. The filler cities would IMO do niether.

3. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Not to sound like chicken little, but how will we produce guards and more cities without the filler cities? We barely have capacity to support Regia Civitas, and we have just added Elysium, which will also be tied up producing a wonder. I don't see it.

4. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I agree with you that we need to start worrying about
    defense. But I agree with Ainwood that the 4 special
    site west of Dellham would be a great place to build
    military units. And with the whales, the site SE of
    TFalls could also build units. And both TFalls and Dellham
    could help out in an emergency. So IMHO we're covered.

5. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

The problem with the 4 special site is simply that it is too far away. A filler city could be so much more handy right now as to developing RC, the 2 whales city when it's built & TF, but especially Elysium. We don't need a city up there yet, as we already have units there to explore. Don't put off building that city forever though, with a bit of luck we have the continent to our selves with a close neighbour to the north on different land. A port city can be built and the 4 special city can be used to supply the arms for victory!
    :soldier:

6. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

I will be in favor of any good plan that build settlers to found ALL of these cities as fast as possible. Elysium should be the first priority, but do the rest with maximum speed even if that means starting the filler city first ...

7. StevieP

StevieP Chieftain

I'm also up for a good plan to get cities up and running as quickly as possible. More cities means more supported units and potentially a stronger army.

8. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your support. Many cities is what spawns a Strong Military. Right now we have a Hut army.

Ainwood, we need to field a strong military, I completely agree. The question is, how best to do it. ICS, Infinite City Sprawl, yields high productivity with little walking time. Walking time is wasted, while a road and city are productive.

Serutan, I am more concerned with happiness and building many cities and roads than I am about defense. Let's face it, we have no defense right now.

MonkE and Ren, I share your concerned regarding Elysium, simply because everyone has been so keen on it and it's now building a wonder. That makes it essentually useless to resolve immediate domestic issues. So the N2 city is what you want, perhaps immediately after N1 and before 2Whales.

Powersg, that's my plan. Road, N1, Road, N2, then 2Whales. Dellham to make cities to rehome the RC units. Then replan. Perhaps come back and complete the roads. 2Whales will be on its own to build a guard, settler and road back to found N3. During all of this time, we will need to divert production into happiness guards.

Whenever we can spend gold economically to build a settler rather than a guard first, we must consider doing that.

9. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Having considered Gary's plan then I am slowly being swayed to the idea of a filler city to pump out settlers and troops occasionally but I don't see the need for more than one at this stage. With his filler city between TF and RC then Gary assures us we can build settlers quickly and profitably, and this is true, but we need to grow the two other cities too so its influence will wane as the game goes on. But for the next few ages then we can fill our island with NUF cities and then start to produce a military for the other nations to fear. I agree that a road network would be very advantageous at this stage so that we can manage early unhappiness and later enemy threats and remember that you get a free road with every town so that we can link TF and RC with only 2 roads and a city that will be powerful now but pretty useless later on, except to support settlers and troops. We should try to make the most of our settlers early on while they only require one food! :)

10. bigfatron

bigfatron Emperor

...any idea when they will be played?

11. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

Tomorrow, I want people to be able to discuss stuff.
    In general I'm trying to play tuesday and saturday but past week was extremely busy for me and past weekend, well you know... But from now on everything is back to normal. :)

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I would like to see the next TF settler build the first filler city whilst the Dellham settler could settle on the river between Elysium and Dellham and this city could alternate between Defensive units and settlers.