Turn Times on Huge Maps

n00bxqb

Warlord
Hi all,

I'm having an annoying issue with turn waiting times on Huge maps. I've turned down the number of Civs and City-States to 8 Civs/16 City-States, but the wait times are still pretty bad late game. I tried some of the things suggested on the forums that I was able to find like switching to Strategic View before clicking next turn, but it hasn't made much of a difference. I also tried without my system overclocked (another suggestion on the board) and it just made it worse.

Computer specs:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.9 GHz (also tried @ default 3.2 GHz)
8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1.8 GHz (also tried @ default 1.6 GHz)
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB @ 875/5000 MHz (also tried @ default 850/4800 MHz)
Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA III HDD (WD2002FAEX)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Obviously, one solution is to switch to Standard or Large size maps, but I really like the Huge size maps.

Any other suggestions ? Are there any ways to allow the game to utilize more than 2GB of RAM using LAA which might help ?

If your mainboard's BIOS supports that, you could try to disable some cores to find the two cores with the best overclocking potential, and push those two to the limit. Turn times depend only on single thread performance in Civ5, and the graphics engine basically utililizes only 2, unless you have a high-end nVidia card :p

But at best this will get you ~10% faster times.

I can only get a single core to 4.1 GHz stable on air (system is built for low noise; HSF uses a 160 mm fan but it only goes up to 1500 RPM). Meh, not worth it ...

Top Bottom