Tutorial for creation of shaded Leaderheads

I know, but I just don't understand how the eventcodes and the leaderhead animations go together.

As far as I understand, with the units you have one single file containing all the different states of the unit. But with the leaderheads, you have a couple of kf files (xy_action_01_negative, xy_idle_03_cautious ... etc.).

So why do I need the eventcodes when all the different "moods" are already seperated in different files? And where and how do I apply the eventcodes?

EDIT: Sorry, I've seen that the units also are splitted into different kfm files. When I said that it was one single file I had the "raw" max scene in mind like the one Praetorian that you can download

So maybe you could tell me if the following thought is a correct one:

1. In 3ds max you model the leaderhead.
2. You do the rigging and texturing of the model head.
3. Then you animate it, with all the different "moods" in one and the same timeline, as it seems with no limitation of how long they have to be.
4a. You start the MAXScript / Civilization IV plugin, where you chose the "actor root" (still don't know what that is and how you define it).
4b. In the "Active Sequence" rollout you define the names of the sequences and which is what (eg. frames 100-130: "_cautious_ec03").
5. Then you apply the exporter and by doing that you automatically create all those different kf files.

Sorry to bother you with all those questions, but it would be a great help if you told me if I'm following the right path ... :)

No you're wrong it's the same with units. How to use the animationscripts is described in the tutorial by firaxis and I also believe in sharick's tutorial. Check those out;)

Sorry, you were TOO quick with your answer while I was editing my last post ... :)

However, maybe you could nontheless tell me if my "thought chain" is correct. :)

Well yes basicall that's it. Keep in mind to export kfm not single kf though in the exporter;) The actor root is defined the same way as for units. With LEaderheads it's normally named Master not MD like with units but the Name doesn't matter that much. You really should read the unitmaker tuts carefully about the details as most of the stuff there applies to Leaderheads as well as other animated models like animalressources or anything.

Thanks for the help. I've read the Firaxis tut over and over, but I made that basic brain twisting mistake thinking that units had only one kf file. Now it's much clearer.

With that MD / Master helper dummy, it's still not so clear ... I still haven't figured out how can use that "add actor root" button. However, maybe it won't be necessary, if I can just copy the structure from Bismarck or Alexander.

Btw, why is Alexanders MasterDummy called "Julius Caesar"? Well, Firaxis guys probably just forgot to rename it.

Thanks again for the advice!

I'm a bit perplexed, when i import the leader head,the model is entirely white, despite me checking "render textures" in the dialog box. I can't seem to manually apply the textures either because ".dds is an invalid filetype" for 3dsmax (8)?

I'm a bit perplexed, when i import the leader head,the model is entirely white, despite me checking "render textures" in the dialog box. I can't seem to manually apply the textures either because ".dds is an invalid filetype" for 3dsmax (8)?

Sorry, what do you mean exactly: The body is white when importing it into max or when importing the completed nif file into CivIV? (Both can happen, but the reasons are quite different, I think.)

Referring to max: For all I know, it should be possible to import dds graphics with 3ds max 8 and Windows XP (maybe check out the latest max patches), but not with Windows Vista. However, it's not a problem, because I think graphic files don't necessarily have to be in dds format. I used tif and jpg for my Richelieu, and it worked fine all along. dds might be a bit quicker, and it offers some transparency / animation gimmicks (eg the clouds moving in the background picture), but that's it.

Referring to Civ IV: When your exported leaderhead is appering white in the game (or even black without any lighting), then it is a shader problem. I used a workaround by baking the light into the textures (using the Render -- Render to texture ... menu command). However, there's a tutorial made by Ploeperpengel somewhere in this forum which explains the correct use of the shaders.

I've only gotten so far as importinginto 3dsmax. after the point in the tutorial about "TLeaderHeadShader" in the material dialog. I can't for instance select "Chalamagne_Norm.dds" because Max says it's an invalid file type. So I can't apply it to the model. :confused:

Convert the dds image to jpg or some other format, then you should be able to select it.

Convert the dds image to jpg or some other format, then you should be able to select it.

yeah, that's what I essentially had to do afterward, thanks though :)

You will need the texporter plugin for max as well. I put a link in the first post.

just installed it.

I guess my question is then, if in max the model is using bmp/jpeg instead of .dds, when it comes to exporting won't the model you save and open up in Nifskope search for "charlamagne_norm.bmp" instead of "charlamagne_norm.dds", for instance? or doesn't it matter?

Or? :cool:

yep the export doesn't change the texturenames but dds files should work with max if you got texporter(if not maybe you have vista? I read something about max having trouble with dds files under vista somewhere on the web - you should google for solutions, otherwise it's fairly easy to rename the textures within nifscope, just doubleclick on the texturename and change it)

gotcha, I see what you mean now.

Those are my obviously incorrect export settings, i've been uncheking and checking them at random because for some reason max exports Chalmagne's beard in the wrong place (on the right hand side of him near the mid-torso.

Could I possibly see your export settings or anyone else who has exported from Max successfully?

Reporting from my own experience, I wouldn't recommend using that exporting module. I tried it out several times, but it never worked out for me (always had problems with the animation).

Download and install the official MaxTools from Firaxis (Civ IV download section), then you'll have a "Civilization IV" file type available for export. It was meant to be used by Firaxis themselves, so I can't see any reason why you should use a different exporter.

Top Bottom