Tweaking the game speed to something better iyo?

Cliftor

Chieftain
Let's just get it out of the way that I find Normal way too fast. However, I just beat my first Marathon game, and while I loved finally actually being able to comfortably wage war and peace, I don't think build times matched up (I was almost done with the tech tree by 1870, rolling out Modern Armors, something I've never done on Noble).

I could "try" Epic but that would take the length of a whole game to evaluate.

Instead I ask you: after 3 years of Civ4, have we come to a consensus on good numbers for a long-game setting? I'll be happy to enter those into the proper xml file.

Personally, I already think Epic is the perfect game speed, but that's just my opinion. I find it's long enough to make every unit useable, and my units might even last and not be obsolete through two wars. The build times for buildings don't seem endless, so building units isn't so much more tempting then building a building, and likewise for the early techs - it doesn't seem to take forever to get them, but still long enough.

Give it a try, I highly encourage it. I -believe- it's half the length of a marathon game, with more equal tech/unit/building cost proportioning.

having a number of year-per-turn which match the technological advancement is almost impossible. Consider that:
- the difficulty level changes the speed of teching
- the civilizations (a world with 7 techers will tech faster than one with 7 warmongers)
- the situation (everyone with gems?)
- the tech trading (the more tech trading, the faster the teching, and the other way round)
- the game speed
etc...

Or at least, that's how I feel it

I noticed the same thing and made a thread about it http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=268820

My tech rates have drastically improved after I dropped down to marathon from epic and my final scores have drastically improved. My best score on epic was about 110,000, with 60-80,000 more of the average. My current best on marathon is 190,000.

If you're finding noble too easy, keep the same speed, but jump up to prince.

So standard is too fast... and marathon is too slow... and you're not sure if you should try the inbetween speed?

Heh.

Try epic before you go modding code. I agree with Coast;

Personally, I already think Epic is the perfect game speed,

:) I know, I guess that sounded silly, but actually I finally just got finished an Epic game, and I think IT was too FAST o.0

I got to the middle ages way too fast (I was actually surprised) with not enough elbow room for early wars, and once again my teching seemed suspiciously "fast" compared to ingame year (thought not as much as Marathon)...

My problem is that Marathon in terms of space actually felt great, but in terms of progress I progressed way "faster" compared to the year than normal. Now, that Marathon game was ALSO my first warmonger game and my first Pangaea, so unless war or pangaea somehow actually improved my teching, I can't otherwise account for the drastic change in tech speed.

So I guess something between Epic and Marathon would be nice. Or maybe something with better scaled buildings and tech but ever-so-slightly faster units.

Are you trying to synchronize the dates you discover technologies with the dates they were discovered or invented in real life? Because if you are, just stop. It's impossible and this is just a game. The times will never match up right.

Top Bottom