types of terrain !!!!

K

KvM`gLuE_HeAd!

heyyy
what guyz are doing with grassland squares?
do you put a mine on them?
or do you irrigate them?
i usually irigate plains and grassland squares but! i put a mine on grassland squares with a shield bonus on it
should i irigate plains and put a mine on all grassland including those with a shield bonus on them?
if i have a little town on toundra in order to have access to the fur , i plant forest on toundra squares.
if there is a desert square, what do you with the desert square?
tell me whats your strategy :)

Originally posted by KvM`gLuE_HeAd!
heyyy
what guyz are doing with grassland squares?
do you put a mine on them?
or do you irrigate them?
i usually irigate plains and grassland squares but! i put a mine on grassland squares with a shield bonus on it
should i irigate plains and put a mine on all grassland including those with a shield bonus on them?
if i have a little town on toundra in order to have access to the fur , i plant forest on toundra squares.
if there is a desert square, what do you with the desert square?
tell me whats your strategy :)

You do it about the same as I do. As far as desert is concerned, it is really not worth much until you can build railroads.

Originally posted by sealman
I don't do anything with desert tiles. I set up my rules so that desert is worthless. The only reason to move into the desert is for the Incense.

I try to get all different terrain types within my borders, because of the future possibility of resources showing up. This goes for desert too (oil). :)

The answer to this really depends on the city and what other terrain is in the city radius. If the city has mostly mountains and hills but a few grasslands then irrigation is required on the grasslands so that the city can feed enough population to work the mines in the mountains too. But if all the squares are grassland then you can mine most/all of them since they will be able to feed the workers without any irrigation.
So the final answer is to irrigate enough terrain to allow you to feed 21 population. After that build mines.

Terrain improvement really is dependent on the city that the terrain is nearby. In order to produce more food, and increase the population of the city, irrigate the land. If you want increased production, mine the land. A good balance is always good in order to have a populated and fast producing city. That is why I beleive that automating workers is no help in the game except to lay down railroad. Another good step is to mine cattle, wheat, and other resources. You already get the extra food production, so it would be more beneficial to mine the land.

Another important factor is your government. If resources are tight then I mine ALL grassland at the start of a game, unless it has a food bonus like wheat. Until you leave Despotism, there is no prize in irrigating a regular grassland, you will still only get 2 food. So mine it, then later in the game, when going to a more advanced government, replace the mine with irrigation if you want faster growth and larger population (which is usually desirable.)

Top Bottom