Ultimatum mechanics

Kimiimaro

King
When I was playing my domination game, I noticed that everyone who hated me asked me to give them my gold and luxuries. That gave me this idea.

Imagine that you angered one large neighboring superpower by attacking its weak ally. They denounced you and now they have large army on your borders and then they appear and say their demands. For example, they want 4000 gold, 30 gold per turn and some of your luxuries. Or they want some of your great works. You would have two choices. Accept their demands or refuse. If you refuse, the enemy would declare war on you.
You would also give ultimatums. You would give it after you denounce someone or after someone denounces you. Effects would be same - accept = peace, refuse = war. However, giving an ultimatum would cause a diplomatic penalty.

Last edited:
When I was playing my domination game, I noticed that everyone who hated me asked me to give them my gold and luxuries. That gave me this idea.

Imagine that you angered one large neighboring superpower by attacking its weak ally. They denounced you and now they have large army on your borders and then they appear and say their demands. For example, they want 4000 gold, 30 gold per turn and some of your luxuries. Or they want some of your great works. You would have two choices. Accept their demands or refuse. If you refuse, the enemy would declare war on you.
You would also give ultimatums. You would give it after you denounce someone or after someone denounces you. Effects would be same - accept = peace, refuse = war. However, giving an ultimatum would cause a diplomatic penalty.
I like this idea but instead of the ultimatum being rejected immediately leading to war you would still have to use the causes beli system.

This is one of the best ideas for Civilization there is. I actually don't know why I never bothered to make a thread about it, so thank you!

I do think that, if you're giving an ultimatum, it should also be able to give a diplomatic bonus to the enemies of the one you're giving an ultimatum, as they would consider you to be calm and just, first telling them "this is what I want" and not immediately running in, swinging your sword at them. Or maybe there should be different degrees.

I like this idea but instead of the ultimatum being rejected immediately leading to war you would still have to use the causes beli system.

The base here for is already in the game. It is the Discussion like do not convert my cities. This must just be connected to the Casus Belli system:hammer:

Top Bottom