[C3C] Unable to build Iron Works

pn_UK

Chieftain
Hi all. Feels weird asking a question about a decades-old game but here I am. I got a popup in the game I'm playing currently telling me that my people are eager to build an Iron Works. I'd never heard of this before so I looked online and found it's a minor wonder, only availble to build in a city that includes both iron and coal in its radius. I located the city in my civ that has just that, but it's still not giving me the option to build. There's no other prerequisites that I can see for it so am I missing something or is my game bugged out?
Cheers!
Chris

pn_UK welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

Both resources in the radius of that city must be connected to that city by roads. Your game is not "bugged". Much fun with Civ 3! :)

Both resources in the radius of that city must be connected to that city by roads. Your game is not "bugged". Much fun with Civ 3! :)
Thanks for your reply - I've just realised what my mistake was, I was looking at the wrong city! xD It was the next one along that had the capability to build an Iron Works (there's two close together). So yeah this one was me being dumb.
Cheers!

The bolded is actually not technically correct (which, as we know, is the best kind of correct!) ;)

The game apparently does 2 separate Y/N checks for the Iron Works (or any similar resource-requiring building):
-- Required resource(s) in town-radius?
-- Required resource(s) available through trade-net?

So that means that, if you already have an Iron and/or Coal roaded elsewhere in your empire, and a continuous route to the prospective IronWorks candidate, that town doesn't actually need its 'local' Iron/Coal-tiles to have roads on them.

(Yes, that surprised me, too!)

There is always something that I have to learn. :)

Top Bottom