Unit stacking / blocking

Alexis_gaijin

Chieftain
Maybe I missed something when I moved from civ 4 to 6 directly, but what's up with unit stacking? Or the lack of it, I'd say. I looked around the civ 6 discussion for a similar topic but didn't find it.

Anyway, I know wars between 2 stacks of 50 units each could get somewhat tedious, but no stacking whatsoever is clearly not the solution.

I had an alliance with Egypt, she crowded one of my cities with 18 scouts. Eighteen! I had to count it because I just couldn't believe it. And it was Information Age too, totally unnecessary. If it weren't AI, I'd be sure it was just to piss me off. They just stood there for several turns, until finally they advanced further to bother other cities.

I was just blown away. Any one else having this much fun?

You should not have looked very well. There are a lot of threads about why 1upt doesn't work.

You should not have looked very well. There are a lot of threads about why 1upt doesn't work.

I went up till page 6 or 7. Maybe their titles weren't self explanatory. Anyway, good to know this is bothering other ppl...

You are not alone in the debacle that is 1UPT and its poor implementation. I am usually boxed in with religious units, it is just irritating and to top it off cripples the AI (you will also notice going from 4 to 6 that the AI cannot really take a city and will not build air units)

Its still a fun game to a point but is severely limited by this feature (cant believe they made zero progress on it from all the similar issues in 5)

You are not alone in the debacle that is 1UPT and its poor implementation. I am usually boxed in with religious units, it is just irritating and to top it off cripples the AI (you will also notice going from 4 to 6 that the AI cannot really take a city and will not build air units)

Its still a fun game to a point but is severely limited by this feature (cant believe they made zero progress on it from all the similar issues in 5)
They tried to solve it partially with corps but it is not enough. Non-combat units should be able to move on tiles occupied by AI not at war. And for combat units, why not trying 2-3 upt and remove city defense/health bar?

Just search for "1UPT" (one unit per tile) and you would get quite a few threads popping up - there's usually one every week or couple of weeks (including, now, this thread).

The 1UPT debate tends to be a polarising one - people appear to be either passionately against (Civ 4 did it better and Civ 6 AI can't handle it, and neither could Civ 5 AI either, besides, it causes the most horrible and unnecessary carpet of doom traffic jams) or passionately in favour of it (1UPT is more tactically interesting when engaging in combat on different terrain, stacks of doom were OP and besides this is carried over from Civ 5 so Civ 6 must be doing something right).

For me personally, the first thing I do is to find the nearest Multi Units per Tile mod and install that as quick as possible. Luckily, there is one for Civ 6, but it's not without issues (the AI still can't stack and identifying units in the same tile is problematic, especially navy units (the UI wasn't really built for viewing multiple units on a tile), but at least you won't have units on every single tile in your territory, though the AI may well have their territory covered in units ).

Last edited:
The 1UPT debate was here when CivV came out. And again when CivVI came out. I think everything has been said already :)

The carpets of non military units are crazy yes
I am not a lover of 1 upt but I hated stacks of doom.
What they are doing with civ is taking a tactical war and a tactical city map and melding them in a world map so you only have one view... And they only have to maintain one.
The only way to not be so annoyed is to play a religious victory game so all those annoying units have relevance.... If you can consider 12 spanish inquisitors in boats off the norwegian coast relevant.
Until they can sort out this AI issue or change religious wars we have to just put up with it.
I cannot see them going back to stacks, so thats something you will have to deal with or revert to civ IV.
Caveat Emptor!

I also hated the stacks of doom and I like the basics of 1 UPT. What I suggest, similar to what others have suggested is 2 things: in your own territory, your builders can occupy any tile no matter the nature of the unit on it [unless it's a military unit of a civ with which you are at war, including barbarians, of course] - outside of your own territory, I'd let a builder occupy any tile in an open-bordered civ or city state even if there were a military unit on that tile [but not another builder]. This would solve the biggest problem with the 1 upt which is that you are often, even in your own territory, prevented from completing a construction because a unit from another civ is loitering on the tile on which you want to build, sometime delaying a desired builder improvement by several turns.

One of the big problems w/ the discussions on this platform is that players keep framing up the choice as solely between stacks-of-doom and 1upt. But the best solution for an empire-building game of this strategic level is probably 2upt, or maybe 3upt. As mentioned above, an n-upt mod is available, and I recommend it; it will give you a sample of the potential improvement. But it's only a taste because it doesn't free the AI up to play beyond 1upt. I've issued a request for modding help on this, and I'm hoping we can interest one of the accomplished modders to tackle this issue. Here's the thread.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/multiple-upt-mod-request.609172/

There's more at steak here than first appears. 1upt dooms us to poor AI. If we can free up the gameplay to 2 or 3-upt, then the gates will be open to additional modding to improve the AI to something like what modders did for Civ 4.

Last edited:
We are not 1upt, armies and corps? Seige towers?

That's not enough to realize the game's great potential. But it is a good sign. It tells us that Firaxis is at least cognizant of the blunder they made w/ 1upt. And they are stumbling toward giving us some relief. But why wait on an effort that Firaxis will probably never give much priority? I am hopeful that modders may be able to crack this thing, and relatively soon. Here's a link to some work that Gedemon has come up w/. It's not what we need, but it is an important step.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/combat-and-stacking-overhaul.608292/

Again, not only would war-making become more creative, but a 2 or 3-upt game should open the gates for getting us a much more competitive AI to play against. Given your unexcelled influence on this platform, your support could be game-changing. Don't you think this is worth a try?

Top Bottom