Unit supply. How to calculate it?

Makavcio

Prince
So, it's an issue that's been bothering me since day one. In BERT, with very long time needed to construct an improvement, it became unbearable.

Long story short, how does one calculate unit supply?

As you can see below, "-26" is ok, but "-27" gives me penalties to production. Severe penalties.
Spoiler :

As well as reduce production, supply penalty would make more sense if it provided a combat penalty. If you can't properly supply your units, they shouldn't fight as well.

I don't know all the details but ifr what I recall, unit support = base value (determined by difficulty) + twice the number of cities you have + your total population count.
Well, according to what "F3" tells me, it's something like that, however, as you can see, I'm 26 above that limit and I'm fine. 27 is a no-no, though.

I can assure you that it's not simply population. Raising it by 1 did not change my unit limit. It's connected with population for sure, but it's certainly not 1:1. At least not on massive maps.

I suspect that the penalties are intended to kick in at -1 supply but some unit type (trade units maybe) is counting towards the displayed value but not the actual calculations. That's only a guess though.

It must be something like this. Early game when I cross the supply cap at the displayed -1 it has an immediate impact. (-10% production @ -1 supply).

Top Bottom