1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

unofficial balance fix/modmod for 1.24

Discussion in '[MAC+WIN] Civ4 - History Rewritten' started by KeeperOT7Keys, May 24, 2020.

1. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

Reason behind this fix
    I really like version HR 1.24 but I've always felt expansive, industrious, creative traits were way too powerful. Leaders such as Victoria (Exp/Ind) would dominate the game to an extreme point that it would stop being fun.

Also Imperialist leaders were too weak because all of their bonuses were about conquering others, and they couldn't do it because they didn't have good enough regular bonuses. Only trait ability that might be useful was -33% hurry cost, but it was again useless because slavery civic was very useless against the agrarianism. Quarries and Plantations are too weak compared to a farm-pasture based civ. Therefore AI would never adopt it (neither me), which caused an additional penalty for imperialist leaders.
    Because slavery is weak this would also ruin jungle starts.

Some early strategic resources are also too critical and become game-breakers. You might get screwed if you don't have any copper in the early ages or don't have any saltpeter in the renaissance. Moreover they are revealed just when you need them, which is a bit unfair, so discovery of these resources pushed to earlier techs so players can plan their strategies accordingly.

Changes

Traits
    Creative trait now gives free kilns instead of +1 :commerce: per :culture: level.

Industrious trait now gives free tanneries instead of +1 :hammers: per :culture: level

Expansive trait now gives faster road&railroad speed instead of +1 population when founding cities.

Techs - Resources

Reveal of Saltpeter is moved to the Alchemy, which is also more historical.

Copper is revealed when Mining is discovered.

Iron is revealed when Bronze Working is discovered.

Mines now give only +1 :hammers: rather than +2. But they also gain +1:hammers: with iron working. This amplifies tools aspect of this tech, rather than merely improving weapons and makes it appealing for peaceful civs.

Civics-Tenets
    Slavery gives +1 :hammers: from Quarries and +2:commerce: from Plantations instead of +1:commerce: from both.

Preservation is moved to priesthood since alchemy became crowded, also it makes more sense.

How to Install
    Just copy the contents of the zip file into a fresh History Rewritten 1.24 install in your /Mods folder. This will change your mod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. KeeperOT7Keys

There is an update in the modmod and the main post is edited.

The 13th Earl likes this.
  3. kaltruhe

kaltruhe Warlord

Hi, do you have a plan to make your modmod enable for 1.25? Cause I really like the way you revised.

4. DeepWell

DeepWell Chieftain

That's nice balancing, thanks! However, I get this error message when I start a new game with your mod:

Error in GameStart event handler <bound method BugEventManager.onGameStart of <BugEventManager.BugEventManager instance at 0x13C58828>>

(The "0x13C58828" part changes randomly with each new start)

Is that something to be worried about?

5. KeeperOT7Keys

Thanks! As far as I know 1.25 has a broken (very passive) ai at the moment and I don't play it, but I am planning to prepare a 1.25 version once it's more playable. (imo a balance fix is unnecessary if ai is not attacking at all).
    I am also using some programs to keep track of the changes I made, so they can be easily applied to new versions of HR.

thanks! I don't think it is something to be worried about since my fix doesn't change any parts of the Bug module.
    I think original HR changed some functions of this module and this is causing errors but I don't have a precise idea.

kaltruhe likes this.