Unofficial Civ4 GameSpy Multiplayer Firewall/Router Port Forwarding Guide

This is a really helpful thread by the looks of it, and I'd like to tip my hat to whoever figured all/most of these out :)

I just have one quick quesiton though .. I usually just play with my buddies through DirectIP .. which port needs to be opened for this, and this only? I don't want to go through the hassel of opening all those ports, if I don't even use GS.

Thanks alot !
Maniac

EDIT: Nevermind, everything is working okay.

After i forward all these ports i cannot connect to GS. I get stuck on the log-in window. As soon as i delete them from the router, it works fine again.

Hey Guys - Hmm Nice to see some names I know - Hi Canuck !!! remember DemolitionMan ???
Would anyone be avaliable to schedule some time, and I'd like to try hooking for a direct IP game first ?? I'm trying to get this configured and have had no luck yet. Maybe 2 people would waste less of everyone's time, til I get the bugs out. Thanks !

Hey, I'm in Canada and I can't seem to login. I go into the game, click Internet, go to Create Account, and it doesn't create an account. What's up?

These are great instructions if using Gamespy. Does anyone have these kind of instruction for getting around the firewall issues in Vista and a Linksys router. I am extremely frustrated by not being able to set up a direct IP game.

If you forward the ports to one IP, can another computer connected to the same router still play in a game at the same time?

When I try to open ports 2300-2400 my ASUS WL500g.Premium router says that there is no such port for port 2300. But then I tried 2301-2400, and it says there is no such port 2301. Any ideas?

Why while i'm connecting to a pitboss game sometimes i failed to connect to some connected peers?
This happens to other people when i'm already there.

NOTE:
I use Hamachi to play.
I have a router (but should not be a problem with hamachi)
I use only Windows firewall.

Do i have to forward any ports?

I forwarded all the ports to the ip address displayed in ipconfig, yet I still can hardly connect or host any internet games while my computer is connected through the router. Everything is fine when I connect directly through the modem.

I also am still have problems with one pitboss game (which also has a hamachi network).

I've also opened all those ports on Windows Firewall.

Hi,
May I know exactly what type of port to open for those that are not clearly listed. (TCP/UDP)

With all firewalls off, a group of 5 of my friends and I have constant joining problems over GameSpy. The same problems occur over LAN. Firaxis's old excuse that it's something to do with the GameSpy NAT (whatever) once again has been proven to be a bald lie. Firaxis, call your office. The game is nearly totally broken now, and you have done nothing to fix it except send Soren Johnson to blame GameSpy more than 2 years ago and release a patch that spat in the face of the online community.

can someone delete this spammer msg above?

Secondly, a friend and I have opened the relevant ports on both our routers, and can now get a DirectIP connection going with both of us on our laptops, however, we seem to get a "Waiting to hear from the other player" msgs all the time. Any techies got an idea of why this is? Shouldn't be bandwidth related as we're both on 3Mbps+ lines.

Cheers.

I had the same problem as many of you with getting to the Gamespy login screen (or the create account screen), entering my information, and then nothing...

I messed around with this for a week, using suggestions from many different forums. I'll tell you what I tried that didn't work and then what finally did - maybe it'll save you some time and frustration.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Civ, Gamespy, and xFire (only allows chat in civ 4, btw). This did not work.:(

I tried port forwarding the ports listed in this forum and GameSpy Arcade Support for both my router and the built-in windows firewall. I ensured Gamespy and Civ were both in the program exceptions list in the windows firewall. This did not work.:cringe:

I tried creating a new account through Civ, using the same email address, username and password as my existing Gamespy account. This did not work.:gripe:

I tried creating a new account through Civ, using the same email address, but a new, completely random username and password. This did not work.:wallbash:

I finally tried creating a new account through Civ, using a brand new email address (one Gamespy had never seen before), and a new, completely random username and password. Eureka! This worked.:)

I believe there is a problem with Gamespy (and/or Civ) recognizing existing accounts that aren't created through Civ! I think as long as the email and username are new and unique it should work.

I have since removed all port forwarding from both my router and firewall, and am able to play through Gamespy no problem at all. Ironically, after all this effort, I'm disgusted and no longer feel like playing Civ... but I'm sure it'll pass.

Hope this helps,
Ramble75
Holy Flippers this works
thx ramble

Issue driving me nuts, and has some weird symptoms.

First, I CAN connect to a friend when he hosts Direct IP games. I CAN connect to multiplayer internet games via Gamespy.

However I can't set up my own Direct IP game. I am connecting wirelessly to a router, with port 2056 forwarded. For any real techies, I've done an online portscan and it's come up negative at my IP, on that port. But I don't know why...

If anyone has any ideas what else (apart from port forwarding) I can do, please let me know.

I for one, cannot connect to my friend's (Direct IP/LAN) or anyone's game (Internet)...

I am trying to connect to- and join my friend's game via multiplayer:
-LAN: "Couldn't reach the host." and "The Networksocket encountered an error and was closed. Disconnected." pop-up before being able to enter game room.
-Direct IP: "The Networksocket encountered an error and was closed. Disconnected." Before being able to...
-Internet: Same as Direct IP...

It does it with Hamachi network application too. I still don't get, where i put that IP of mine...
And i use Windows 2000 Pro.

So, what could cause this?
-Could it be my router (can't solve/no experience/knowledge)?
-Or could it be network that people share (like in some apartments/flat-systems)?

Please me if you can... :cry:

you may need to not only open the ports but also do the port forwarding and the port triggers to the same ports that you opened which you should find under gateway / custom on your router web page.

I configured all these ports on my router, but I'm still getting horsehockyloads of blocked connections (both from people trying to connect to me and me trying to connect to others) so it must not be done right.

Here's a pic of the config screen for my router:

192.168.0.5 is my static IP. What did I do wrong?

Someone please help this is driving me . .. .. .. .ing CRAZY.

I configured all these ports on my router, but I'm still getting horsehockyloads of blocked connections (both from people trying to connect to me and me trying to connect to others) so it must not be done right.

Here's a pic of the config screen for my router:

192.168.0.5 is my static IP. What did I do wrong?

Someone please help this is driving me . .. .. .. .ing CRAZY.

First, I think your IP address is incorrect. On our home network, the final digits are a three number string. 192.168.0.101.

On your router, you seem to have too many port entries. This may be OK but seems unnecessary. On mine, I simply specified the port range, 2300 through 2400 on one line, not separate lines. According to another post the "main" port is 2056

Top Bottom