Unofficial Civ4 GameSpy Multiplayer Firewall/Router Port Forwarding Guide

Well, I finally had to attempt to connect on the internet so that I could play Civ IV. That caused me to frantically seek out how to make a connection through a home LAN router. I was able to get the information necessary to make the connection to work. However, in searching for a solution, I ended up wasting a lot of time with old, dead, and incomplete explanations.

In the hopes of making this easier for those searching for a solution, below is a summary. Please note that this is NOT based on the use of static IP addresses. So the summary below would only apply for the current session and would have to be redone with a new session.

1. Obtain the IP address of the computer HOSTing the game.

http://www.knowmyip.com/

You should get a number that look something like this: 66.47.223.46

2. Obtain the local IP LAN address from the router. This is accomplished by going to "start" -> "run" -> "command" or "cmd" -> "ipconfig". You should get a number that looks like this: 192.168.1.101. Write that number down. You can exit terminal mode by typing "exit".

3. Search for and verify the ports used by your game. Enter a search term such as "Civilization IV Ports".

http://www.gameconfig.co.uk/ports.aspx?game=civilization+iv

4. Enter your router. We have a LINKSYS router. The main menu has a tab for "Applications and Gaming". Enter that tab. The tab then displays a table where you can enter the port range (2300-2400) and the IP LAN Address (192.168.1.101) for the computer HOSTing the game. Of course check the box, "enabled" and save.

That's it. But remember that this only applies for the current session, as your IP addressees changes with each new session Also, if you have a software firewall, such as the Windows firewall, you will have to allow Civilization or any other game to "pass".

I found this useful, worked for my Linksys BEFSR41. (easier than looking for the manual)

Port Forwarding Civilization IV on the Linksys WRT54GP2

I was only able to enter the first 10 number ranges on the list. Apparently that's a limit on my router.

Also helpful, enter: cmd
on the Start|Run prompt to keep the window from disappearing before entering ipconfig, to see your ipaddress to your router.

Top Bottom