Unofficial Patches for SMAC and SMAX

Petek

Alpha Centaurian
Administrator
Supporter
CFC now permits linking to (and discussion of) the unofficial patches for SMAC and SMAX. The reason for this change is that GOG's release of the games is free from DRM. The unofficial patches bypassed the original DRM, but this is no longer an issue.

The unofficial patches may be found on several web sites. One such is Alpha Centauri 2. Specifically, the patches are in one of their Downloads pages.

Following is a brief description of the patches. Refer to Alpha Centauri 2 for more detailed descriptions.

The original unofficial patch was created by scient. This patch fixes several bugs and exploits. It does not change game play. There are versions for both SMAC and SMAX. The two versions are essentially the same, except for changes that apply only to SMAX. The most recent version of this patch is from 2010.

kyrub's patch incorporates all the changes made by scient. It fixes other bugs, but also makes changes to game play. For example, the AI's terraforming is improved. Again, there are versions for both SMAC and SMAX. The SMAC version has more changes to game play than the SMAX version. kyrub is currently working on improving his patch, so watch for updates.

Another patch is being developed by Yitzi. Although a version is available for download, Yitzi is currently fixing some bugs. I recommend not installing it just now.

Please use this thread to pose any questions about the unofficial patches or for further discussion.

Yay!

It is very surprising. But the things the folks in the AC community lately really has been coming out with groundbreaking stuff. I compare it to some of the same things that have been going on for years for another 4x game, Age of Wonders. That game even has THE developer recommending the community's unofficial patches and utilities.

Amazing after all these years, an ageless classic has active players and folks working on things. Yeah, it is not for everyone because the game is pretty deep. A cult classic, none the less.

How many other games short of Master of Magic or Gal Civ/ Masters of Orion can say that? I would dare hold Alpha Centauri up against Civ 4 or Civ 5, but that is just me.

Top Bottom