Unusual tips!

You can annex the city with the guild and sell it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

One thing I see a lot in let's plays that bothers me: when you pop a ruin and get culture points, if your total points is over the next policy threshold, you don't have to wait until the next turn to select a policy. You can simply select a new one from the policies menu. This may seem trivial, but in the early game every turn counts. Unfortunately, this trick doesn't work with pantheons, as that menu is only accessible from the found a pantheon notification.

One that's potentially obvious is that the number of horses pictured on a tile equates to the number you get unlike other strategic where you can only see via the tooltip.

If you want to kill off someones last city because its in the way but dont want to be hated by everyone. Make peace first, build a city somewhere far, preferably on ice, or next to another civ.. let it grow to about 3 pop. Give it to that guy you want to kill. If he tries to burn it it will still take 3 turns. Now take that original last city ASAP! Now watch someelse be the bad guy to finish him off.

GnK :

You ca pillage roads in unclaimed territory without incurring any penalty. Not sure if this is still possible in BnW. I encountered this where one of my scouts got caught in a neutral bubble of territory, and could not get out. there were roads in there connecting 3 Spanish cities to the capitol, so I kept pillaging them. The Spanish AI would send workers, and I would pillage again.

no apparent negative diplo hit, no DoW. I effectively broke 3 city trade routes for a long time, depriving the Spanish of a lot of gold.

In order to escape the culture bubble, I would need open borders. But I didn't care. I stayed in there for over 100 turns breaking the trade link over and over.

I am sure this must have been fixed in BnW?

If u are playing with Germany and u destroyed barbarian camp where axeman was, and they joined u, should u discover ruins , send axeman and if u get the upgrade unit one, axeman will upgrade straight into knight. :)

Don't time Aqueducts to complete the same turn as a pop growth, you have to finish the aqueduct 1 turn before the pop growth

Don't time Aqueducts to complete the same turn as a pop growth, you have to finish the aqueduct 1 turn before the pop growth

Yeah, and if worst comes to worst and you don't realize this until it's one turn away, (like I often don't) select "Avoid Growth" for one turn.

np...was definitely one of those :hammer2: moments for me too when I realized I had been doing it wrong...

To try to bring back on topic... I'm not sure if this was introduced on BNW or is working as intended, but once you meet the first AI, open up a trade dialogue, choose other players and you'll see a list of all AI in the game. May help planning ahead on diety.

Yes i just saw that last night !

* If you're using WHoward's map pins mod (I think it's here: http://www.picknmixmods.com/mods/96b31a10-8777-442f-9e6b-0f8fa969b86f/mod.html) then put pins on the map if you find ruins and barb camps. Those places are likely to become archaeological sites later on.
They're good to have within city radius, less good to settle a town on, and you certainly want to avoid those tiles for great person tile improvements - it's frustrating to see a dig site appear on the exact spot where you put an academy or holy site...
If you haven't got WHoward's mod installed, get it for this reason alone!

* If you come across Mt Fuji then you know you're on an island, because Fuji cannot get placed on the biggest landmass (on ocean maps; on all-land maps the restriction isn't there).
The hammer calculation for building settlers is different. Working a 4food0production tile willl generate more hammers than working a 1food1production tile. There appears to be a 3:1 or maybe 2:1 ratio for translating food into hammers, for building settlers only.
Close sir. The exact maths are explained in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=499930.

Tried it again last night! I think I have it perfected :D

Double pantheon trick: if you have a nice pantheon (Poland is esp good with this since they open tradition/piety hybrid pretty well) you can double its effect with religious tolerance (open tradition and you may choose to take the free monument or not, up to you, but I would rush to piety to get my pantheon going... then once you get a religion it is a very easy 2 policies you can afford in piety, and then you can get the +2 food and +happiness from tradition as usual by medieval or so)

Your pantheon counts as a "majority religion" for religious tolerance and so cities that are still majorly pagans (follow your pantheon) will double its pantheon effect once your religions starts spreading there. The best way a lot of times is to make one of your satellites (preferably the one that does not really receive a lot of bonuses from the pantheon) the holy city instead of your capitol, then your capitol (and other cities which were founded BEFORE your religion so they will start off being pagans... sometimes you can delay founding your religion for this) gets double bonuses, which can be game breaking: +2 faith from desert, +2food from whatever, +8 faith from natural wonder, etc. This is especially hilarious with +4 faith tiles (quarries or gems/pearls) and holy warriors.
If anything else, the worst case is double god-king which is pretty good early game.

The bonus wears off once pantheon is no longer the majority religion so be careful!

Spoiler :

Here you see Poland with double Sun God (flood plains wheat with +8 food), I founded my religion away from my capitol, and used a caravan to get one follower. Getting 32 food and 5 hammers from 5 tiles worked is amazingly effective :lol: Beelining theology (shortest way to medieval) is a good bet for finishing piety on time for 5th religion AND by doing so getting a reformation belief to boot! Here I opened tradition as well.

If you really want to be a jerk in a multiplayer game... This works really well as Sweden. Make as many friends as possible and save a great engineer use him to hurry production on the leaning tower then use pick a GE as your free great person then use him to hurry production on another wonder! Unfortunately this ups the price of GS but its useful to grab those nice wonders late game or even use it to grab the Manhattan project and be the first with nukes! :D

Many people know this already. You can see what wonders others are building.

You just can't be in strategic view to see it. IMO huge oversight, because strategic view is supposed to be "strategic" and now you have less info than normal view

Many people know this already. You can see what wonders others are building.

You just can't be in strategic view to see it. IMO huge oversight, because strategic view is supposed to be "strategic" and now you have less info than normal view

Could you elaborate on this please? I thought the only way to see what other players were building was to have a spy in their city.

My own tip: Heathen Conversion is an amazing belief but remember that all those archers and spearmen you convert will not have the embarkation promotion, so will be stuck on whichever continent you converted them on!

@Colin

Just as when your own city is building a wonder, if you have uncovered an AI city from the fog, you'll be able to see this wonder under construction on the map (even without a spy or unit nearby). Next time you start a game, go around to all the AI capitols in the ancient era and you should see the distinctive orange roof of the Great Library under construction. This "trick" works best in early eras when there's little pop or infrastructure to obscure the graphics, or when they're building something obvious that warps nearby terrain like Macchu Picchu.

@Colin

Just as when your own city is building a wonder, if you have uncovered an AI city from the fog, you'll be able to see this wonder under construction on the map (even without a spy or unit nearby). Next time you start a game, go around to all the AI capitols in the ancient era and you should see the distinctive orange roof of the Great Library under construction. This "trick" works best in early eras when there's little pop or infrastructure to obscure the graphics, or when they're building something obvious that warps nearby terrain like Macchu Picchu.

It would be nice if theres a visual guide of what looks like what on the terrain.

Don't settle on wheat, you'll lost it.
I excepted it works like luxs or cattle. It doesn't. My tile became a poor plain.

Top Bottom